• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone have a convincing argument for the existence of a non material reality?

siti

...if you what to say that things are different “beyond our observable universe” you would be making an act act of faith that would require evidence...
If anyone wants to say anything at all about anything at all "beyond our observable universe" it would be a statement of faith...

and so your claim...

Well we would know that this cause is non material, timeless, space less, and personal, this follows logically.
...is a statement of unsubstantiated faith - there is nothing logical about it at all. And even if it could be assumed to be non-material, timeless and space-less, on what possible evidence can you conclude that it must have been "personal"? How can an entity that is timeless, space-less and immaterial be a "person"?

Anyway, since you are intent on finding an answer that
seems much simpler to simply say
please simply state your evidence for the existence of a timeless reality. Don't worry about the space-less and personal bits yet - we can cover those once you have provided evidence for timelessness. What does it mean to say that an entity is timeless? And what evidence or logical argumentation exist to show that such an entity actually exists?

siti

And yet, it is a statement of faith that our interpretations of what we observe are correct.
Of course it is. But the whole point of science is that it turns our interpretations of what we observe into reasonable statements of faith based on a sufficient number of independent observations that if we are being deceived we are at least all being deceived in the same way. If physical reality turns out to be an illusion we will at least have a clear(er) understanding of what the illusion contains. The alternative is to say well we just don't know so even the illusion of reality (if that's what it is) could be telling us virtually anything or absolutely nothing and we have no way of knowing where exactly we are in between those two poles.

I think it is preferable to assume that the world is understandable (regardless of whether it is ultimately real or ultimately imaginary) and proceed accordingly.

Sanzbir

Matter is energy.

So what??

Squares are rectangles but rectangles aren't squares.

So matter is energy doesn't mean energy is matter.

Are you someone else with a misunderstanding of E = mc^2 that I have to explain this all too?? I already did it once for someone else, why don't you scroll up and read that??

WalterTrull

Godfella
Of course it is. But the whole point of science is that it turns our interpretations of what we observe into reasonable statements of faith based on a sufficient number of independent observations that if we are being deceived we are at least all being deceived in the same way. If physical reality turns out to be an illusion we will at least have a clear(er) understanding of what the illusion contains. The alternative is to say well we just don't know so even the illusion of reality (if that's what it is) could be telling us virtually anything or absolutely nothing and we have no way of knowing where exactly we are in between those two poles.

I think it is preferable to assume that the world is understandable (regardless of whether it is ultimately real or ultimately imaginary) and proceed accordingly.
OK. I think I'll just float along with the current for a while and enjoy the scenery.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That ain't matter bub. It doesn't matter what you opinions about matter and what looks like matter are, the facts are that it isn't matter. :p

Yes, non-matter can affect matter. That doesn't make it matter. Matter is defined as "that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy." (emphasis added)

So it ain't matter, therefore it's non-material.

It's funny how you're trying to use a very poor understanding of science to pick apart a point that was ultimately just a joke, my answer intentionally taking OP's question too literally and putting forth a literal example of something that is non-material. :p

Oh, and that "Does light have mass?" isn't a question for you, it's RF's formatting of a hyperlink. The link goes to an article which explains the answer is no in painful detail. Ya probably want to read that.

But if you take nothing else from this, take this science lesson:

Just because a thing can affect matter doesn't mean that it is matter itself. Photons are not matter. Your feelings and opinions on what it looks like are irrelevant to the situation.

A valuable lesson in science for you!! :p

You are losing your cool. Which is typical when people run out of arguments.

And you are unable to answer my challenges. How can not material things bore holes through matter? I ask because light can do that under certain situations. And if even if you insist to not all it matter, who cares? It is a physical thing and bottom down everything is the oscillations of some quantum fields. Is that matter? Who cares? For sure it is not spiritual, whatever that means.

I am sure you are finding comfort in believing that there are things that transcend the physical. Good for you.

Ciao

- viole

Sanzbir

For sure it is not spiritual, whatever that means.

Did you not read the part where I openly stated to merely be taking the OP question extremely literally as a joke??

Are you incapable of reading??

My post has nothing to do with anything spiritual. It was just a very literal answer to the question of the OP: "Does anyone have a convincing argument for the existence of a non material reality?"

Yes, yes, yes, OP meant something else entirely, but what he literally wrote as the title had nothing to do with spiritual versus physical, and so I was playing with that by giving my answer. I find it humorous to take things overly-literally and give literal answers sometimes.

And I find it even more humorous when idiots think I'm making some stand on the existence of spiritual things when I'm only taking a stand on the existence of "non material" things.

L85IbAt.jpg

You are losing your cool. Which is typical when people run out of arguments.

It was a joke, not an argument for the existence of the spiritual. It was never an argument for the existence of the spiritual.

You have to pretend and play make believe that my post was arguing for the existence of the spiritual in order to argue against it, which is hilarious!!

That's a sign of weakness in your own position, I would think, if you have to pretend my position is something I never once stated it was to pretend you can win some sort of intellectual debate, when instead you're obsessively arguing a with a joke because you don't want to admit you didn't get it.

And you are unable to answer my challenges. How can not material things bore holes through matter? I ask because light can do that under certain situations.

Here: Light and Matter

Part of me wonders why I bother to keep posting links to basic physics lessons because you will continue to not read them.

Light isn't matter. That's all there is too it. I've posted several links to educational material that covers this very topic, but you are too lazy to read that, instead you insist without evidence whatsoever that light is matter because you feel that it is. :p You're no different than someone insisting that the spiritual reality is real because they feel it is.

And if even if you insist to not all it matter, who cares?

Because that makes it ... non-material. Again:

L85IbAt.jpg

It is a physical thing

Gee, now was the question I was responding too about physical reality or material reality.

Hmmmmmm... ;)

"Does anyone have a convincing argument for the existence of a non material reality?"

Oh right.

Looks like you're desperately and dishonestly trying to shift the goalposts to prove to yourself that you have won this debate against a joke. :p :D

You can't argue against my position (again, a position I made jokingly) of "Energy is non-material."

Because you can't argue against it, you instead have to pretend my position was completely serious and that my position was "Energy is non-physical and is spiritual".

Stop lying.

Is that matter? Who cares?

You do. Or did you forget it was you who decided to argue with me that it was matter?!

I think you realized after my last post that whoops, I'm right, and that energy is not matter, because I posted evidence to back that claim up, and now you're trying to shift the goalposts and claim "Who cares?" and pretend that my position is something else completely.

For sure it is not spiritual, whatever that means.

I dare you to find one instance of me using "spiritual" in this thread before this post!

It's not there, because my (joke) position had nothing to do with the question of spiritual existence.

I am sure you are finding comfort in believing that there are things that transcend the physical. Good for you.

I'm sure you find some comfort in believing that my position is one of physical versus spiritual (words I never used before you accused me of holding that position) and thinking that you're smart because you can defeat a strawman in place of myself.

You are losing your cool.

Of course I am. I have a dishonest scoundrel lying about me!! You lie about my position, fight a strawman and declare you have defeated me, and then are ~surprised~ that someone might loose their cool and become a little more hostile to you in turn??

Why should I not take the gloves off in the face of someone lying about me?? I'm going all in now.

You are a fundamentally dishonest person.

You tried to argue with a joke using a misunderstanding of science.

When your misunderstanding of science was called out, you were scared of being perceived as not as smart as you think you are, and so you quickly replaced the joke position you were trying to argue against with a strawman, and "defeated" that strawman to try to sound all smart.

You're understanding of E=mc^2 leaves out the part of the equation that deals with non-material things like photons, and you are too much of a coward to argue against this point because it deals with hard science, instead you ignore this point completely in order to argue that "light is matter because I feel like it acts like matter would".

If you are not any of what I just said above, then I ask the following two simple things be done:

1. Address my argument and evidence against your limited understanding of E=mc^2 and give some evidence (beyond how you feel that matter should act) to back that up, OR admit I was correct and you were mistaken about the nature of photons (which are wave/particles, not matter).

2. Find any evidence of me in this thread arguing for the existence of spiritual anything and present it, OR admit you were incorrect and that I never did such a thing and that you strawmanned me. You don't have to admit that you lied about my position, you may also admit to simply having assumed my position from a point of ignorance.

If these two things are not done in your next reply, I will assume that you yourself know that you are wrong and just don't want to admit it. Because if you are right, then it should be easy to find some textbook example showing I'm wrong about E = mc^2. And if you really aren't strawmanning me, then you should be able to easily find some evidence of me arguing for the spiritual in this thread. :p :D :p :D

If you are honest and correct, it is an easy matter to address those two things. If you are honest and incorrect, it should be easy to admit that. However, if you are a dishonest person, then I am guessing you will admit that fact through failing to address either 1 or 2.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Did you not read the part where I openly stated to merely be taking the OP question extremely literally as a joke??

Are you incapable of reading??

My post has nothing to do with anything spiritual. It was just a very literal answer to the question of the OP: "Does anyone have a convincing argument for the existence of a non material reality?"

Yes, yes, yes, OP meant something else entirely, but what he literally wrote as the title had nothing to do with spiritual versus physical, and so I was playing with that by giving my answer. I find it humorous to take things overly-literally and give literal answers sometimes.

And I find it even more humorous when idiots think I'm making some stand on the existence of spiritual things when I'm only taking a stand on the existence of "non material" things.

L85IbAt.jpg

It was a joke, not an argument for the existence of the spiritual. It was never an argument for the existence of the spiritual.

You have to pretend and play make believe that my post was arguing for the existence of the spiritual in order to argue against it, which is hilarious!!

That's a sign of weakness in your own position, I would think, if you have to pretend my position is something I never once stated it was to pretend you can win some sort of intellectual debate, when instead you're obsessively arguing a with a joke because you don't want to admit you didn't get it.

Here: Light and Matter

Part of me wonders why I bother to keep posting links to basic physics lessons because you will continue to not read them.

Light isn't matter. That's all there is too it. I've posted several links to educational material that covers this very topic, but you are too lazy to read that, instead you insist without evidence whatsoever that light is matter because you feel that it is. :p You're no different than someone insisting that the spiritual reality is real because they feel it is.

Because that makes it ... non-material. Again:

L85IbAt.jpg

Gee, now was the question I was responding too about physical reality or material reality.

Hmmmmmm... ;)

"Does anyone have a convincing argument for the existence of a non material reality?"

Oh right.

Looks like you're desperately and dishonestly trying to shift the goalposts to prove to yourself that you have won this debate against a joke. :p :D

You can't argue against my position (again, a position I made jokingly) of "Energy is non-material."

Because you can't argue against it, you instead have to pretend my position was completely serious and that my position was "Energy is non-physical and is spiritual".

Stop lying.

You do. Or did you forget it was you who decided to argue with me that it was matter?!

I think you realized after my last post that whoops, I'm right, and that energy is not matter, because I posted evidence to back that claim up, and now you're trying to shift the goalposts and claim "Who cares?" and pretend that my position is something else completely.

I dare you to find one instance of me using "spiritual" in this thread before this post!

It's not there, because my (joke) position had nothing to do with the question of spiritual existence.

I'm sure you find some comfort in believing that my position is one of physical versus spiritual (words I never used before you accused me of holding that position) and thinking that you're smart because you can defeat a strawman in place of myself.

Of course I am. I have a dishonest scoundrel lying about me!! You lie about my position, fight a strawman and declare you have defeated me, and then are ~surprised~ that someone might loose their cool and become a little more hostile to you in turn??

Why should I not take the gloves off in the face of someone lying about me?? I'm going all in now.

You are a fundamentally dishonest person.

You tried to argue with a joke using a misunderstanding of science.

When your misunderstanding of science was called out, you were scared of being perceived as not as smart as you think you are, and so you quickly replaced the joke position you were trying to argue against with a strawman, and "defeated" that strawman to try to sound all smart.

You're understanding of E=mc^2 leaves out the part of the equation that deals with non-material things like photons, and you are too much of a coward to argue against this point because it deals with hard science, instead you ignore this point completely in order to argue that "light is matter because I feel like it acts like matter would".

If you are not any of what I just said above, then I ask the following two simple things be done:

1. Address my argument and evidence against your limited understanding of E=mc^2 and give some evidence (beyond how you feel that matter should act) to back that up, OR admit I was correct and you were mistaken about the nature of photons (which are wave/particles, not matter).

2. Find any evidence of me in this thread arguing for the existence of spiritual anything and present it, OR admit you were incorrect and that I never did such a thing and that you strawmanned me. You don't have to admit that you lied about my position, you may also admit to simply having assumed my position from a point of ignorance.

If these two things are not done in your next reply, I will assume that you yourself know that you are wrong and just don't want to admit it. Because if you are right, then it should be easy to find some textbook example showing I'm wrong about E = mc^2. And if you really aren't strawmanning me, then you should be able to easily find some evidence of me arguing for the spiritual in this thread. :p :D :p :D

If you are honest and correct, it is an easy matter to address those two things. If you are honest and incorrect, it should be easy to admit that. However, if you are a dishonest person, then I am guessing you will admit that fact through failing to address either 1 or 2.

I was also joking.
I can't believe you took me seriously. :)

Of course I know that the spiritual is a joke. Everyone on this forum knows what I think about spiritual stuff. Deepities with meaning.

Glad you agree with that. Friends again?

Ciao

- viole