• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone else feel like evangelicalism is dying?

Duke_Leto

As I've been getting older, I feel like fewer people take evangelical Protestantism seriously in the U.S. I've barely head a buzz over Pat Robertson's recent 'pray the hurricane away' travesty, I hear fewer complaints about secular indoctrination of children in public schools, I hear fewer creationists complaining about science education. I'm not sure if this is a real decline, or just my own perception changing after moving out of the Bible Belt.

How do other Americans feel about the popularity of evangelicalism?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Americans are gradually becoming more liberal and more secular. I would assume that this is the main reason why. Personally, I hope that evangelicalism dies out. Although moving out of the Bible Belt is also a big factor. That place is crazy. :eek:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
As I've been getting older, I feel like fewer people take evangelical Protestantism seriously in the U.S. I've barely head a buzz over Pat Robertson's recent 'pray the hurricane away' travesty, I hear fewer complaints about secular indoctrination of children in public schools, I hear fewer creationists complaining about science education. I'm not sure if this is a real decline, or just my own perception changing after moving out of the Bible Belt.

I believe it is going strong but in a new form. Look at 'Contemporary' style worship, sermons and church leadership. These have spread from charismatic and evangelical churches, following members that have left who have joined other churches or who have family in other churches. Now many SBC churches, Assemblies of God, Lutheran, etc etc etc churches share many characteristics with the evangelicals. Now everywhere you go there is somebody raising their hands in the service, possibly speaking in tongues. There are paid worship leaders even in liturgical churches. There is no longer a well defined evangelical group of churches. Its also spread from the USA into other countries and continents. Baptist missionaries surprisingly use contemporary praise and worship on missions. Just thirty years ago that would not happen.

Members of these churches go to high school, watch TV shows like Star Trek, have jobs, watch political commentary, etc. They are not melting.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Was evangelicism always anti-science and often hate based? That is the way that much of the evangelical movement appears to be today. I am sure that is not the case for all evangelical churches, but the noisiest ones tend to be that way. As a result they have earned the entire movement a bad name.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think it is still strong but methods are changing. In other words, same message but packaged differently. For an example, Hillsong church NY started just a few years ago and now have 4 locations having 5 or 6 services on a weekend with people lining up to go to church... something unheard of in the New York area.

They are uniting the message with social justice, a Biblical concept.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
It occurs to me that it would be good if some charity were formed to record and catalogue sample recordings of public church activities from every church. This would be good for historical purposes. If for example you used to go to a particular church and 30 years have past, there should be a way to look up a sample of what was taught and how things were done. Things are changing very quickly, and memories are short. Its always good to be able to see where you have come from.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I'm in the same boat as you having moved out of the Bible belt 9 years ago, but in my case, to another country.

It seems like evangelicals have redirected their focus from evangelizing - televangelizing to recruit new Christians, for example - to political and governmental matters since the nineties.

Garlow Resigns from Megachurch to Focus on Destroying Church/State Separation
Arizona Has Young Earth Creationist Reviewing Science Curricula

Isn't that what all of this Supreme Court hoopla is about - outlawing abortion and outlawing same sex marriage? That's the political aspect of evangelical Christianity.

And then there has been the rise of the lunatics. Evangelicals have been repeatedly shamed over that time period, which may have taken a step from the likes of Pat Robertson.

Wingnut: McCain Was Executed by Secret Trump Military Tribunal

Joyner: Hurricane Florence Will Be a Good Thing

'Coach' Dave: God Makes People Gay to Punish Us

Joyner: Sin is the Cause of Hurricanes

Also, the white conservative Christian Americans are being diluted out by apostasy and the change in the average complexion of Americans.

In the main, I think your perception is probably accurate.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In honesty? Evangalism has never been prevalent in my part of the country. Short of reading sensationalized "news" coverage on the internet, it has never existed in my region. For me, that means it could go from not being a thing to... still not being a thing. Or maybe a once or twice a year thing, because I do work at a university and we do inevitably get preachers in free speech spaces. It barely registers on my radar one way or another. I also don't make a habit of listening to garbage, though...

Audie

Veteran Member

How do I feel, as a sojourner in your fair country?

I think it is a profound weakness in American
culture, a serious danger to the future or your
country.

Audie

Veteran Member

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
The evangelical movement grew more popular in small circles in this part of Europa from the late sixties until around the turn of the century but since then it has gradually become more inclusive, less xenophobic and dogmatic, well at least relative to before.

From the other side, the social elites have become more open to the benefits of all sorts of spiritual practices and even somewhat to main stream religion in the last decade. So differences are blurring at a time when hollow consumerism is losing popularity.

Duke_Leto

Was evangelicism always anti-science and often hate based? That is the way that much of the evangelical movement appears to be today. I am sure that is not the case for all evangelical churches, but the noisiest ones tend to be that way. As a result they have earned the entire movement a bad name.

I was raised in a 'moderate' evangelical family. I think that what you're referring to is universal, just expressed in different degrees.

It occurs to me that it would be good if some charity were formed to record and catalogue sample recordings of public church activities from every church. This would be good for historical purposes. If for example you used to go to a particular church and 30 years have past, there should be a way to look up a sample of what was taught and how things were done. Things are changing very quickly, and memories are short. Its always good to be able to see where you have come from.

I agree. As a tangent, I recently stopped in a small town in rural Nebraska to take a look at a museum run by the town's historical society. Because there were so few visitors, I was given a personal tour by one of the women there, who was pushing 90. She talked for much of the tour about her past. She mentioned having a friend, who had been one of the orphans on the 'orphan trains', who had died recently. I realized how much history had been lost when she had died, and, maybe more importantly, that an entire generation of perspectives was being lost.

The woman talked about a lot. Her experience going to school in a single-room school building. Growing up in a small town with only one general store. Marrying a soldier. Referred to Native Americans as "those savages", and later talked about some nice Native American woman who was a waitress in a cafe, who'd been in a biker gang.

While a lot of memorabilia and information about events -- wars, elections, holidays -- get preserved, perspectives don't tend to be recorded as often. I wish that they would be preserved. Especially as culture, especially in the U.S., is becoming more homogenized.

And it is being homogenized. Regional accents are disappearing, I think. 'Local' news stations are almost invariably owned by the same few corporations, reciting the same tired talking points. Large corporations in general are enforcing homogenity everywhere they go; I'm not sure there are 50 square miles in the country, outside a national park, without a Walmart located inside them. And if you ever go anywhere rural, it's difficult to find any store apart from Dollar General; there are more Dollar Generals in the country than there are McDonald's. Radio is the same too: pop on FM stations, country on AM, and the rest 'classic' rock, the one or two classical stations, NPR, and conservative/religious talk radio, anywhere in the country. TV is mostly banal tripe.

As much as I hate evangelicalism, I think it's worthwhile to preserve records of the past.

I'm in the same boat as you having moved out of the Bible belt 9 years ago, but in my case, to another country.

It seems like evangelicals have redirected their focus from evangelizing - televangelizing to recruit new Christians, for example - to political and governmental matters since the nineties.

Garlow Resigns from Megachurch to Focus on Destroying Church/State Separation
Arizona Has Young Earth Creationist Reviewing Science Curricula

Isn't that what all of this Supreme Court hoopla is about - outlawing abortion and outlawing same sex marriage? That's the political aspect of evangelical Christianity.

And then there has been the rise of the lunatics. Evangelicals have been repeatedly shamed over that time period, which may have taken a step from the likes of Pat Robertson.

Wingnut: McCain Was Executed by Secret Trump Military Tribunal

Joyner: Hurricane Florence Will Be a Good Thing

'Coach' Dave: God Makes People Gay to Punish Us

Joyner: Sin is the Cause of Hurricanes

Also, the white conservative Christian Americans are being diluted out by apostasy and the change in the average complexion of Americans.

In the main, I think your perception is probably accurate.

You live in Mexico, don't you? How are all the Catholics there?

Speaking of what you said about apostasy, @Rival once mentioned the forum being inhabited mainly by atheists and heretical Christians. I think that, more than being representative of the forums, it's a fair perception of the U.S. at large. Protestants, for their emphasis on studying the Bible, play fast and loose with it, and I think are easily disposed to dismiss authoritative opinions of it in favor of their own interpretations. If you interviewed average evangelicals, I don't think you would have to look far to find heretics among them.

As for televangelism, I think that's definitely declined. Hard to find any instances on cable, at least. I agree with you though that political events lately indicate changing times.

Duke_Leto

The evangelical movement grew more popular in small circles in this part of Europa from the late sixties until around the turn of the century but since then it has gradually become more inclusive, less xenophobic and dogmatic, well at least relative to before.

From the other side, the social elites have become more open to the benefits of all sorts of spiritual practices and even somewhat to main stream religion in the last decade. So differences are blurring at a time when hollow consumerism is losing popularity.

You live in Europe? You got evangelicals there still? I thought most of them had immigrated to the U.S. by the twentieth century :p

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. As a tangent, I recently stopped in a small town in rural Nebraska to take a look at a museum run by the town's historical society. Because there were so few visitors, I was given a personal tour by one of the women there, who was pushing 90. She talked for much of the tour about her past. She mentioned having a friend, who had been one of the orphans on the 'orphan trains', who had died recently. I realized how much history had been lost when she had died, and, maybe more importantly, that an entire generation of perspectives was being lost.

The woman talked about a lot. Her experience going to school in a single-room school building. Growing up in a small town with only one general store. Marrying a soldier. Referred to Native Americans as "those savages", and later talked about some nice Native American woman who was a waitress in a cafe, who'd been in a biker gang.

While a lot of memorabilia and information about events -- wars, elections, holidays -- get preserved, perspectives don't tend to be recorded as often. I wish that they would be preserved. Especially as culture, especially in the U.S., is becoming more homogenized.

And it is being homogenized. Regional accents are disappearing, I think. 'Local' news stations are almost invariably owned by the same few corporations, reciting the same tired talking points. Large corporations in general are enforcing homogenity everywhere they go; I'm not sure there are 50 square miles in the country, outside a national park, without a Walmart located inside them. And if you ever go anywhere rural, it's difficult to find any store apart from Dollar General; there are more Dollar Generals in the country than there are McDonald's. Radio is the same too: pop on FM stations, country on AM, and the rest 'classic' rock, the one or two classical stations, NPR, and conservative/religious talk radio, anywhere in the country. TV is mostly banal tripe.

As much as I hate evangelicalism, I think it's worthwhile to preserve records of the past.
You're right about the Dollar General. Its the new moonshine. For a while I thought the store was following me.