• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Anyone Else Feel Labeless?

As I mentioned in my introduction thread, I was raised a Christian and then throughout much of my college youth I identified with atheism. I later experimented with progressive Christianity but nothing really feels like it sticks with me. I feel like I have too many doubts about biblical literalism, organized religion, and supernatural beliefs to feel entirely comfortable with the Christian label. Having said that, I don't feel like I fit entirely in with most atheist communities, especially the ones who chuck out all religious traditions in the name of secular purity. I still have a great deal of love for the power of religious stories and their teachings and the communities they create when they're at their best and not at constant war with each other. I find the history of the bible and Christianity to be just as fascinating as the bible itself, if not more so, and I love learning more about it even though I don't have a literal belief in it. Does anyone else here feel like this and how do you handle not having a label when it seems like everyone else around you does?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
No labels for me, labels only imprison us, into its concepts and dogma, truth is ever flowing, it can never be dammed, for then it would go stagnant and lose all meaning.

VioletVortex

I have a tendency to want to label myself. I often switch back and forth with labels, I can't decide what label fits me. Yes, labels are relatively arbitrary, but I can't seem to convince my subconscious of that.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I don't, but I just wanted to say that if you put the emphasis on the last syllable instead of the second to last, it sounds French.
/done

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As I mentioned in my introduction thread, I was raised a Christian and then throughout much of my college youth I identified with atheism. I later experimented with progressive Christianity but nothing really feels like it sticks with me. I feel like I have too many doubts about biblical literalism, organized religion, and supernatural beliefs to feel entirely comfortable with the Christian label. Having said that, I don't feel like I fit entirely in with most atheist communities, especially the ones who chuck out all religious traditions in the name of secular purity. I still have a great deal of love for the power of religious stories and their teachings and the communities they create when they're at their best and not at constant war with each other. I find the history of the bible and Christianity to be just as fascinating as the bible itself, if not more so, and I love learning more about it even though I don't have a literal belief in it. Does anyone else here feel like this and how do you handle not having a label when it seems like everyone else around you does?

Hmm. I've had, let me see, two labels in my earlier years (Witch then Christian). Then later on, I had another label. Catholic. Then it fanned out as I developed spiritually and understood what the difference was between believing something and believing IN something. On RF, I've been a, umm.... spiritualist, Nichiren Buddhist, Buddhist, and indigenous (pagan).

All of these words mean a lot to me like a name which in many cultures have meaning behind it. So, I chucked all the labels and kept the meaning behind them. I kept the morals. The lessons I learned. Things I could have done differently. Practices I'd like to polish on.

Then I became label free! Hence "Religious 'Gypsy' "
That's my testimony. I don't know if others can relate.

:leafwind: How do I handle not having a label.

With style. :cool:

but seriously, it is frustrating without a label. People say "you don't have a label" but think of it. If you are saying "hey you" all the time to your friend, wouldn't you want to some day call him by his name?

What do you believe in? What do you do on a daily basis that you don't have to think about the meaning behind it? (outside of doing the dishes and walking the dog). What makes common sense to you?

I think once you find out your morals and beliefs, you'll have an idea if you need a label to identify yourself. If you do need a label, once you reflect on your beliefs, maybe sit down and brainstorm all the religions that come in your head and jot them down without thinking about it.

Process and elimination.

Whatever is left, do more than research it. If you want it to be your religion, you live it. Even the things that you're uncomfortable with. Maybe you are still a Christian and struggling in spirit? When you live it and someone asks you what is your religion, you can describe it. Then once it's common sense, I'm sure you'll find a one or two phrase name to summarize your faith. Not a label. Just a summary.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Label less?
No one is label less.
You might disagree with the labels people put on you, hells bells, some of those labels may even be flat out wrong, but you are not label less.

Papoon

Seems to me that any inquisitive mind would be interested in the forces that shape the human psyche.

I want to have a clearer idea of the hows and whys of our behaviour. It may be that religion is an evolved behavior serving some function. Whatever it is, it is worth examination.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Welcome to probably the fastest growing spiritual label in the western world; 'not religious' (which doesn't imply atheism either). Fortunately for me I (although raised Catholic) I have a label I am comfortable with 'Advaita'. Although nobody I know recognizes or understands that label:confused:.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Why abandon labels? Labels help us define and expand upon things we knew or feel or what is already there. If we didn't have labels, we wouldn't have cultures, groups, communities or even knowledge on my anthropological things. We need labels so we can better understand ourselves.

That's my testimony. I don't know if others can relate.

:leafwind: How do I handle not having a label.

With style. :cool:

but seriously, it is frustrating without a label. People say "you don't have a label" but think of it. If you are saying "hey you" all the time to your friend, wouldn't you want to some day call him by his name?

In some ways using a label was convenient but in other ways it wasn't. I remember many times when I identified as an atheist, conservative Christians kept insisting I was secretly an agnostic because of some ideological argument they were trying to make. So even when I had a label, people would dismiss me and try to argue with me about the label. Even among atheists, you had all these arguments about whether you should use the A label, secular humanism, a Bright, anti-theist, etc. It just seemed like people wanted to argue over labels all the time when there's more important things in life. Having said that, I'm not one of those people who goes around bashing people who do choose to use labels. I find being holier than thou about not having any labels to be just as frustrating and I try to be understanding of why other people would still use a label.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Neon Genesis

Why abandon labels? Labels help us define and expand upon things we knew or feel or what is already there. If we didn't have labels, we wouldn't have cultures, groups, communities or even knowledge on my anthropological things. We need labels so we can better understand ourselves.

Labels for culture identity is quite different than labels (the actual words) to define who you are rather than "how" you relate to yourself and others. For example, if Id to name a "culture" label for me it would be Witch. That is how my parent referred to herself and some of us we jokingly say have the shinin' . Then you have another culture label I have, most my family, is black. I wasnt raised on that "word" and my family outside immediate are culturally black by my immediate not. So, its beyond that word.

But I think the OP is talking about religious self identification rather than cultural. For example, I have 100 percent Buddhist morals, so do I call myself a Buddhist? By label, I can get by with it but I think the OP is looking for more than that.

For me, I could get by with Pagan and pagan. But, its not an identity. Which is different than labeling what is a chair and what is a table.

So, basically, I feel if the OP is looking for a word to mirror himself, Id say chuck the label. If he just want to wrap up his beliefs in one nice word or two, do some research.

Labels are important but they are not the actual person just a description of how he relates to himself ans others. Depends on culture and environmental influence.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To a point, yes. What you say has validity. However, the other side of that is that if you identify yourself as "X", you are less able to move beyond being "X" due to the desire to "be X". What happens is things like this, "I can't think like this, because an "atheist" shouldn't have feelings of God! What am I? A hypocrite? Not an atheist?". Apply that to a Christian who has doubts about God, "I'm supposed to be a Christian! How can I doubt God exists?". So while wanting to identify as something has its benefits, it also have its negatives. It keeps you within the boundaries of what the label defines that "X" as, and as a result of that, that group itself will stagnate and die by curtailing those who push against the boundaries of it, preventing it from evolving. Religions meet their death this way.

Now when it comes to the day and age we live in, this is very much more complex than simply wanting to fit into the culture at large! I believe there is a vastly far greater freedom afforded us through the rise of the Internet. You can find others who push the boundaries of doubt outside one's own group, including modern atheism for that matter. There is less compulsion to give up these "sinful" thoughts of doubt and question the 'norms' of that group where you are completely isolated without any sort of support at all, as would be the case in closed communities. Today, in larger modern societies, we can forgo religious communities in favor of larger "non-local" communities. We can hear of others working out their paths outside the mainstream, and get support from them by simply reading what they've worked out. Or actually participation with them directly in online forums, such as this one.

In this larger context, the label, becomes less defining in a lot of ways since you have "Christians" or "Muslims", or "Atheists", of all manner of diverse views, from uber fundamentalists within each group, to ultra liberals and progressives. In local groups, tolerance like that is a little harder to maintain unless you have truly good leadership at the top, where they can keep the "I've got the real truth!" elements from eating each other alive. It's easy to put someone on the "ignore" list here, plus forum rules are designed to not let the militants ruin it for everyone else, to prevent them from trying to convert everyone to their way of thinking.

But the other factor I did not touch on was this. Someone on their own path away from these throttling groups may find identifying by that label to hinder them in truly stepping beyond what was programmed into their minds by the group. The group claims to "own God", in all intents and purposes, and so in order to "save God" from them, one has to say "I'm not them!" first in order to find themselves. Then later, if they want to call themselves by that lineage, they can do so now being empowered to say they don't have to fit their notion of what "X" is nor believe they "own God" or "truth" as they had been taught previously by them.

Brian Schuh

I have been extensively labeled in life. And I am very unhappy with it. Sometimes I feel that brutally explicit labeling is more desirable than labels that can be misconstrued. But explicit labeling can be brutal.

I have to label myself as a Noahide. But I am not righteous. So I can't call myself a Noahide Chassid. I am considered more wise than righteous. So I would say, a Noahide of the Chabad. But no one seems to know or care what that is, so I have to say, "I am not a Jew, and am not Jewish, I am just of the Jewish faith." You see how awkward that label becomes?

Take this situation. There are men who are heterosexually oriented who have happened to also have had relations with other men. You can't call them gay, because they prefer the straight life. You can't call them bisexual, because most of them settle down to a wife and have children, or because their religion forbids homosexual sex. Also, to call oneself a bisexual makes people believe that you might to available to women and men. So these guys take the label, "Men who have had sex with men." You see how awkward and lengthy a label can get when it is brutally explicit.

Another example, I have PTSD, which for those who don't know, is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The first thing people ask, is, are you a veteran? And I have to say, No, I was a victim of a criminal. Then that opens the door for insensitive people to ask, "What happened?" Then I have to explicitly say, "I was a victim of childhood sexual abuse. And also a victim of felonious assault." So because the medication for schizophrenia and PTSD is pretty much the same drugs, I just tell people that I'm a schizophrenic so they won't pry into the truth.

Explicit labeling is too brutal and I recommend that you just stick with a generic label.

Parchment

I just imagine everyone naked for better or worse because I say actions define people not the label they choose for themselves or others choose for them

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Unfortunately, they also help us be identified with others, which can be a bad thing.