• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone believe in Evolution anymore?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I'm a bit late to the game, but in reading several of his exchanges, it seems like he is hunting for a 'gotcha'.
Yeah, he's done this sort of thing a couple of times. Ask questions he obviously thinks are leading to some great, sublime epiphany... and...then... don't...

then he hides in the faux-zen speak sagacious affect rather than answer everyone else's confused "what the heck are you talking about?" follow ups.

Kangaroo Feathers

Oh my! There goes another irony meter!
irony.gif

reddogs

Yeah, he's done this sort of thing a couple of times. Ask questions he obviously thinks are leading to some great, sublime epiphany... and...then... don't...

then he hides in the faux-zen speak sagacious affect rather than answer everyone else's confused "what the heck are you talking about?" follow ups.
I don't spend my time 24/7 like some people do. I have been moderator on sites for years and its not fun, its a lot of work, so I do have other things.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Well, I am a university professor that has been interested in the creation/evolution debate for over 3 decades. During that time, I have talked to a number of biologists, read a number of research articles, seen polls done about the beliefs of those biologists, and had numerous other sources of information about the beliefs of professional biologists when it comes to evolution.

Among other things, the textbooks used to teach the university classes and the reviews of such textbooks concerning their treatment of evolution are relevant.

Here's what I have found. Those that have more than a passing understanding of modern biology overwhelmingly agree that evolution (changes of biological species over geological time) has occurred. There is *some* debate about the different mechanisms for those changes and the relative importance of those mechanisms, but the basic fact that biological species change over time is solid.

Well, a view that is close to universal will be held by the vast majority. Do you really need all this spelled out?

If you want to know what 'evolution' means, go and read a biology book. As far as I can see, you aren't being serious.
Thank you.

The reason I’m addressing my questions to you is because of all the posts I saw in this thread, yours looked the most reasonable to me. You have not disappointed me.

Your statement looked possibly misleading to me, in a way that might do harm and injustice to some people, and possibly needing to be clarified and corrected. Before responding, I wanted to clarify it for myself, and find out where it was coming from. As I understand it now, you’re saying that a vast majority of professional biologists, in their work and in their teaching of biology, think of of biological species as changing over time. Is that all that you meant to say, when you said that “... among the scientific community that studies these questions in detail, the support for evolution is universal”? What would be the point of saying that? Have you ever seen or heard of anyone denying that biological species change over time?

I see that you might be wondering about my motives and intentions in asking these questions. I would be glad to try to explain them to you, if you would like me to. For now I’ll just repeat what I said above. Your statement looked possibly misleading to me, in a way that might do harm and injustice to some people, and possibly needing to be clarified and corrected. I think that the Pew poll and the AAAS poll might be enough for now, for that purpose. I’ll be studying those, and then I’ll post some things that I think might need to be said, to correct some possible misunderstandings.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thank you.

The reason I’m addressing my questions to you is because of all the posts I saw in this thread, yours looked the most reasonable to me. You have not disappointed me.

Your statement looked possibly misleading to me, in a way that might do harm and injustice to some people, and possibly needing to be clarified and corrected. Before responding, I wanted to clarify it for myself, and find out where it was coming from. As I understand it now, you’re saying that a vast majority of professional biologists, in their work and in their teaching of biology, think of of biological species as changing over time. Is that all that you meant to say, when you said that “... among the scientific community that studies these questions in detail, the support for evolution is universal”? What would be the point of saying that? Have you ever seen or heard of anyone denying that biological species change over time?

I see that you might be wondering about my motives and intentions in asking these questions. I would be glad to try to explain them to you, if you would like me to. For now I’ll just repeat what I said above. Your statement looked possibly misleading to me, in a way that might do harm and injustice to some people, and possibly needing to be clarified and corrected. I think that the Pew poll and the AAAS poll might be enough for now, for that purpose. I’ll be studying those, and then I’ll post some things that I think might need to be said, to correct some possible misunderstandings.

You should understand that in any large group one will find a certain percentage of people that can only be properly referred to as "loons". When it comes to biology the number of biologists that reject evolution is at a lower rate than that of various mental illnesses. I am not saying that that proves that those biologists that oppose evolution are nuts, but it is food for thought. When over 99% of physicists accept gravity we should probably accept gravity. When over 99% of biologists accept evolution, once again the only sane thing to do is to accept evolution.

And even more convincing is the actions of those that oppose evolution. At every creationist site that I know of one is required not to follow the scientific method of one is to work at those various sites. They do not even try to hide that fact, they simply rely on the ignorance of their followers.

By the way, evolution does not "disprove God". That is the claim of certain creationists whose personal view of God was shown to be wrong. In fact when evolution was introduced as a theory by Darwin the vast majority of scientists that accepted it at that time were Christians. I tend to think if one's faith cannot stand up to the theory of evolution then that faith was pretty weak to start with.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
It seems that the more we learn as scientific and archaeological finds come to light, the less people believe in Evolution. Scientist and Darwinism tell us that life on earth evolved gradually beginning with one primitive species ...
And yes, among the scientific community that studies these questions in detail, the support for evolution is universal.
This is where I see a possible misunderstanding. In response to a post where “evolution” is equated with “life on earth evolved gradually beginning with one primitive species,” you say that “among the scientific community that studies these questions in detail, the support for evolution is universal.” That might appear to some people to be saying that all the scientists in some fields of study believe that all life on earth evolved gradually beginning with one primitive species. As I understand it now, by “universal,” you meant 95% or more, so that would be revised to say that 95% or more of the scientists in some fields of study believe that all life on earth evolved gradually beginning with one primitive species. Is that what you meant to say, in that post? If so, would you still say that now? If so, where are you getting that percentage from?

dfnj

You should understand that in any large group one will find a certain percentage of people that can only be properly referred to as "loons".

It doesn't matter what thread it is or what is the topic. This is your standard response. You "know" better and everyone else not only doesn't know but is a "loon" too boot.

dfnj

Evolution is great but there are many questions in biology that simply go unanswered with the current thinking:

There's more going on in the way life forms that just genes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It doesn't matter what thread it is or what is the topic. This is your standard response. You "know" better and everyone else not only doesn't know but is a "loon" too boot.
If you cared to learn honestly you could see this too.

A person that insists that 1 + 1 = 5 is a loon.

Kangaroo Feathers

I don't spend my time 24/7 like some people do. I have been moderator on sites for years and its not fun, its a lot of work, so I do have other things.
Wasn't talking to you or about you, but your defensiveness is telling, so thanks for that.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The question is valid as people have started to see the fallacy of it.

Who? Certainly not the scientists that actually study this stuff. You know, the ones actually qualified to make a judgement on the matter.