• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Anybody Else Like Ants?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ants are kind of amazing.
file-20210416-23-1axomur.JPG

Someone gave me a lollipop, I don't eat sugar but didn't want to be rude so I accepted it, tossed it in a cluttered drawer and promptly forgot about it, two years ago. Recently I was inundated with a swarm of ants. I kept brushing them away and they kept returning. I didn't know why until I opened my desk drawer and found a large group of them in the drawer. There's a lot of clutter in the drawer. it took a while to dig through all of the junk to find the lollipop I had left in there.

My desk is not near any walls, out in the middle of a carpeted area. How did the little buggers managed to travel all that way, crawl though the piles of junk to find that to find this one lollipop? Must be several hours for them to get from their colony just to my desk.

Some interesting facts about ants.
10 cool facts about ants! - National Geographic Kids

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I know I'm supposed to be upset, but every spring when the ants start creeping into the kitchen, my heart fills with joy. (And I make sure my sugar is secure.)

Laika

Premium Member
Ants are kind of amazing.
file-20210416-23-1axomur.JPG

Someone gave me a lollipop, I don't eat sugar but didn't want to be rude so I accepted it, tossed it in a cluttered drawer and promptly forgot about it, two years ago. Recently I was inundated with a swarm of ants. I kept brushing them away and they kept returning. I didn't know why until I opened my desk drawer and found a large group of them in the drawer. There's a lot of clutter in the drawer. it took a while to dig through all of the junk to find the lollipop I had left in there.

My desk is not near any walls, out in the middle of a carpeted area. How did the little buggers managed to travel all that way, crawl though the piles of junk to find that to find this one lollipop? Must be several hours for them to get from their colony just to my desk.

Some interesting facts about ants.
10 cool facts about ants! - National Geographic Kids

I kept an ant farm of regular garden ants as a teenager. I would find ant colonies in our back garden, dig them up and put them in.

I’d buy a large transparent plastic tank and put a hole in the bottom, then put it in a tray surrounded by water to act as a moat. This keeps *most* of the ants in the tank whilst the water would then go through the hole in the bottom of the tank to keep the soil moist. Then insert ants! :ant::ant::ant:

We have clay soil in our garden, so if the ants have a colony they will have broken the soil down in to grains and it will be a lighter colour because its drier than the normal undisturbed soil. Its easy to spot on the edge of the farmers field where its not concealed by grass.

about once a year you’d have the mating seasons where the males and queens would fly around hovering in the air. Normally its near a tree or around the shed.

it was just nice to watch them over the otherwise quite boring weekends and it gave me something to do. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had a student who had a fascination with army ants. No matter what the nature of the writing assignment was, he managed to get army ants to the centre of the plot.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
We just got our ants in the mail!!

This is so exciting. :)

Are they those Russian mail order ants? If they are, you should be careful. I had a friend who ordered some Russian ants. About a month after he set up his ant farm, he woke up one night in his basement with his hands and feet tied together. When he freed himself, he discovered that the ants were gone and so were his credit cards and checkbook.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Are they those Russian mail order ants? If they are, you should be careful. I had a friend who ordered some Russian ants. About a month after he set up his ant farm, he woke up one night in his basement with his hands and feet tied together. When he freed himself, he discovered that the ants were gone and so were his credit cards and checkbook.

I'll ask my 7 year old. He doesn't speak Russian, but he can write Domino's Pizza in the Russian alphabet, which is more than I can do.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I'll ask my 7 year old. He doesn't speak Russian, but he can write Domino's Pizza in the Russian alphabet, which is more than I can do.

Your seven year old son ordered ants and didn't tell you where they were coming from? They could be from Russia, so exercise caution.

By the way, it's really cool that he can write that in Cyrillic script or Russian letters. :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Your seven year old son ordered ants and didn't tell you where they were coming from? They could be from Russia, so exercise caution.

By the way, it's really cool that he can write that in Cyrillic script or Russian letters. :)

I ordered the ants, but I like to just click on stuff without looking and seeing what I'm buying.

He saw a picture of a Domino's in Moscow, and the letters forever stuck in his head. He wrote it all over everything for awhile.