• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does any peaceful or violent Muslim have an explenation for modern Islamic terror

1robin

Christian/Baptist
My question does not presume anything about the Muslim (or anyone else) that answers it.

What in the world do violent Muslims think acts of terror are gaining them?
They have no tactical purpose?
They have no strategic purpose?
Their have no revenge purpose because who they harm are usually those that did no harm to them?

I am a life long military historian, and I see no motivation but pure evil and hate as a possibility?

Surely they have better reasons that that to blow themselves up don't they?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My question does not presume anything about the Muslim (or anyone else) that answers it.

Their have no revenge purpose because who they harm are usually those that did no harm to them?

I am a life long military historian, and I see no motivation but pure evil and hate as a possibility?

Fighting the "good fight" against demonic forces? That certainly explains the level of barbarism involved as they see their targets as sub or non-human.

Sees

Dragonslayer
All about ideology...religious beliefs concerning reward and setting about prophetic events. Good tactics, strategy, intelligence, dignity, etc. are not really part of it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Fighting the "good fight" against demonic forces? That certainly explains the level of barbarism involved as they see their targets as sub or non-human.

Throw in ignorance, both

Throw in ignorance, both imposed and accidental, and you have a deadly concoction in any religion.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
All about ideology...religious beliefs concerning reward and setting about prophetic events. Good tactics, strategy, intelligence, dignity, etc. are not really part of it.
There has got to be a stronger word than evil to describe anyone who would fallow a God who would reward you for killing a few people who never harmed you with no strategic effect on anything except increasing scorn of the faith that demanded it. It has no coherent purpose. It does not win territory, it does not effect the war fighting ability of nations to any meaningful extent, it certainly does not cast Allah or Islam in any positive light, it has no practical purpose of any kind. Even if Allah existed and even if he meant those verses the way terrorists view them, he reveals himself to be schizophrenic, self contradictory, and incoherent. That God should not be followed even if he did exist, as one of Muhammad's companions said: With one foot in paradise I would not trust Allah.

BTW: Which prophecies do you refer. Islamic eschatology concerns the Jews not joggers in Boston. And every attack on the Jews brings ten fold more destruction on the ones who attempted it. When five nations get whipped by a single nation 1 hour old, with 3 tanks, no air force, and no official army I would start questioning my religion.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Throw in ignorance, both

Throw in ignorance, both imposed and accidental, and you have a deadly concoction in any religion.
That, plus indoctrination from birth, and brainwashing techniques straight out of CIA manuals (actually they are better at it than the CIA), and crushing poverty for everyone except Muslims......... and that would be a start.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Terrorism is the only weapon to use against a far superior opponent. The purpose is to disrupt and eventually break down the opponent.

What are they gaining? So far, exactly what they wanted. Actually everything has gone far better than they ever expected.
They have both tactical and strategic purpose. Western responses have tactical but not strategic purposes for the most part. Actually their tactical responses further the strategic goals of the terrorists. That's why the terrorists are 'winning' (by winning I mean getting what they want). Seeing them as a 'mindless evil' is not part of the solution.

If you want to read about it in their own words read The Management of Savagery (written late 1990s)

I made a thread about it here http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/the-management-of-savagery.181748/#post-4508913 that gives support to what I said above, quotes, etc. so I won't repeat them here.

*edit* actually I will

Some of their goals:

a) Polarise the population (you're either with us, or you're with the terrorists/crusader zionist alliance)
b) Damage the economies of the enemy and the psychological health of their society.
c) Attracting new jihadis by showing them that a small group of people can cause great damage to the Crusaders
d) Radicalise young Muslims. The establishment of violent jihad will radicalise the youth exponentially more than education during times of peace.
e) Through warfare, prepare a generation of leaders who will have the organisational skills to capitalise on 'savagery' i.e. the breakdown of society. The test of battle will allow the best to rise and improve their capabilities.
f) Cause the collapse of societies in Muslim lands - creating the conditions of savagery that will allow them to accomplish their new caliphate.

Been pretty successful ain't they?

Last edited:

Thana

Lady

A life long military historian? I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe, especially since you're clearly indicating that you think it's about religion.

Islam is how they're able to blow themselves up but Islam is not why they go out and blow themselves up.

ArtieE

There has got to be a stronger word than evil to describe anyone who would fallow a God who would reward you for killing a few people who never harmed you with no strategic effect on anything except increasing scorn of the faith that demanded it. It has no coherent purpose. It does not win territory, it does not effect the war fighting ability of nations to any meaningful extent, it certainly does not cast Allah or Islam in any positive light, it has no practical purpose of any kind. Even if Allah existed and even if he meant those verses the way terrorists view them, he reveals himself to be schizophrenic, self contradictory, and incoherent. That God should not be followed even if he did exist, as one of Muhammad's companions said: With one foot in paradise I would not trust Allah.

BTW: Which prophecies do you refer. Islamic eschatology concerns the Jews not joggers in Boston. And every attack on the Jews brings ten fold more destruction on the ones who attempted it. When five nations get whipped by a single nation 1 hour old, with 3 tanks, no air force, and no official army I would start questioning my religion.
I recommend you read the posts by Truth teller in the thread Believers and disbelievers…
http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/believers-and-disbelievers.184199/page-51
She defends the Qu'ran with the same fervor you defend the Bible and doesn't appear to see any connection between fanatical belief and terrorism.

Rajina

How do you know that they are Muslims?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To the best of my understanding:

A sense of purpose, of personal significance in the bigger scheme of things.

Some form of expression of their feelings of hatred and frustration.

The opportunity to be perceived and perhaps feared by those they see as being their enemies.

The approval and reward of the rather jaundiced conception of deity that they believe in.

Escape from the perceived misery of their

Not always, I would assume. But that is simply not always important. Quite often passion, offense, nationalism or fanaticism make excellent substitutes for those purposes.

I doubt that is particularly frequent. They may well be misguided on their revenges, but they usually perceive themselves as rightful avengers nonetheless.

Tomorrows_Child

Agreed on all those points...they say they are fighting on behalf of muslims and/or Islam but in reality, more muslims are being killed by the hands of these so called "Islamic extremists" or as the MI5 labels them "Islamic novices). So the more pertinent question, who are these people? Are they really muslim? Who is funding them? Why are they being funded? Why are they destabilising and destroying muslim nations while claiming the west is their enemy?

Think on those.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
The world seems to go through cycles of enlightenment and chaos (anarchy). It seems we are in the chaotic phase.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Agreed on all those points...they say they are fighting on behalf of muslims and/or Islam but in reality, more muslims are being killed by the hands of these so called "Islamic extremists" or as the MI5 labels them "Islamic novices). So the more pertinent question, who are these people? Are they really muslim? Who is funding them? Why are they being funded? Why are they destabilising and destroying muslim nations while claiming the west is their enemy?

Think on those.
The defining characteristic of evil is that it aims to destroy its own support structure.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member

OMG!

This is a very good thread that Muslims should reflect upon (no sarcasm).

Muslims in my community keep scratching their heads over that all the time. Where I work other Muslim colleagues keep asking me things like "what the hell is I S I S thinking?".

Even I am looking forward to answers about this. It's really weird.