• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does any existing faith fit these criteria?

Karolina

Taking religion quizzes isn't helping. I'm wondering if there's a faith tradition other that:
1. Acknowledges and worships the Creator
2. Has clear moral standards based on universal principles (including not supporting abortion-on-demand)
3. Is accessible universally, not depending on being literate (any faith based on a holy book as the source of truth), or going through a human institution (a learned representative of the faith who interprets the faith for everyone as a way to get around the literacy component)
4. Acknowledges eternal life (meaning being conscious of one's continued existence after death)
5. Isn't ethically-based (bc how does that help me if I wasn't born into that culture)

I think I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, but it might just be there, and if it is, I'm sure you fine folks can help me find it.

I am especially interested in eastern beliefs, as I think I've exhausted my study of Western religions. But I sense these are either atheistic or polytheistic. I know I probably just need to embrace focusing on my own personal spiritual practice and accept that it won't ever include a faith community that fits the above criteria.

I'm looking for suggestions other than Quaker or Unitarian/Universalist (to my knowledge they generally support abortion).

I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a non-Christian system of belief, since there's either a dependence on the Bible alone (which begs the question, how did Christianity spread before near universal literacy and the printing press) or on Bible and church tradition (which depends on the church hierarchy to interpret the Bible for everyone, literate and illiterate alike).

Similarly with Islam, since the Quran is central.

Similarly with Judaism, since the Torah is central. And while I know gentiles can convert, it's still ethno-centric with the idea of a chosen people.

I'm probably also not looking for Hinduism, due to the ethnic centrality.

I am not sure if Buddhism fits the bill or not, bc I've read that not all Buddhists are atheists, but I don't think there's much of a worship component even among those who believe in the Creator. And the idea of happiness being found in ceasing to exist doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not sure if Taoism might be what's left. Or Zoroastrianism. Or maybe Baha'i, but not sure.

Please don't respond at all if you are just going to tell me to believe whatever I want and not worry about finding a group that believes the same thing.

Please also don't respond if you're going to tell me I'm going to hell unless I join your preferred faith.

Thank you to anyone who has read this far! Blessings

HonestJoe

Please don't respond at all if you are just going to tell me to believe whatever I want and not worry about finding a group that believes the same thing.
I'm not gong to tell you to do anything but my standard response to this kind of question (which isn't uncommon) is to ask why you feel you need some specific faith or religion that exactly fits your existing worldview.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Taking religion quizzes isn't helping. I'm wondering if there's a faith tradition other that:
2. Has clear moral standards based on universal principles (including not supporting abortion-on-demand)
3. Is accessible universally, not depending on being literate (any faith based on a holy book as the source of truth), or going through a human institution (a learned representative of the faith who interprets the faith for everyone as a way to get around the literacy component)
4. Acknowledges eternal life (meaning being conscious of one's continued existence after death)
5. Isn't ethically-based (bc how does that help me if I wasn't born into that culture)

I think I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, but it might just be there, and if it is, I'm sure you fine folks can help me find it.

I am especially interested in eastern beliefs, as I think I've exhausted my study of Western religions. But I sense these are either atheistic or polytheistic. I know I probably just need to embrace focusing on my own personal spiritual practice and accept that it won't ever include a faith community that fits the above criteria.

I'm looking for suggestions other than Quaker or Unitarian/Universalist (to my knowledge they generally support abortion).

I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a non-Christian system of belief, since there's either a dependence on the Bible alone (which begs the question, how did Christianity spread before near universal literacy and the printing press) or on Bible and church tradition (which depends on the church hierarchy to interpret the Bible for everyone, literate and illiterate alike).

Similarly with Judaism, since the Torah is central. And while I know gentiles can convert, it's still ethno-centric with the idea of a chosen people.

I am not sure if Buddhism fits the bill or not, bc I've read that not all Buddhists are atheists, but I don't think there's much of a worship component even among those who believe in the Creator. And the idea of happiness being found in ceasing to exist doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not sure if Taoism might be what's left. Or Zoroastrianism. Or maybe Baha'i, but not sure.

Please also don't respond if you're going to tell me I'm going to hell unless I join your preferred faith.

Have you looked in to wicca? In my understanding wicca is not a religion but a nature driven spiritual path. Look to me like this could be something worth for you, but I could be wrong :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I can't think of any that meet all of your criteria.

Have you tried the Belief-o-Matic?

It's a quick quiz where it asks you what you believe, then spits back a list of religious groups with the percentage that your beliefs align with their teachings:

Belief-O-Matic®

It's not perfect, but might point you in the right direction.

Karolina

Have you looked in to wicca? In my understanding wicca is not a religion but a nature driven spiritual path. Look to me like this could be something worth for you, but I could be wrong :)

Thanks. I used to be NeoPagan for a couple of years. I didn't find the moral standards I'm looking for though.

Karolina

I can't think of any that meet all of your criteria.

Have you tried the Belief-o-Matic?

It's a quick quiz where it asks you what you believe, then spits back a list of religious groups with the percentage that your beliefs align with their teachings:

Belief-O-Matic®

It's not perfect, but might point you in the right direction.

Thanks, I've taken the quiz multiple times. It has been pointing me to Liberal-Quakers but I already tried attending meetings for worship. They are all for social justice, but sadly this doesn't usually extend to babies in the womb.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thanks. I used to be NeoPagan for a couple of years. I didn't find the moral standards I'm looking for though.
It seems to me that will probably be a sticking point, because there's a conflict between requirements 2 and 3 you gave, IMO: religions that are anti-choice tend to use either scriptures or a decree from a human institution as the foundation for their anti-choice views.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thanks, I've taken the quiz multiple times. It has been pointing me to Liberal-Quakers but I already tried attending meetings for worship. They are all for social justice, but sadly this doesn't usually extend to babies in the womb.
As someone who sees opposition to abortion as contrary to social justice, morality, and ethics, their position makes perfect sense to me.

Karolina

It seems to me that will probably be a sticking point, because there's a conflict between requirements 2 and 3 you gave, IMO: religions that are anti-choice tend to use either scriptures or a decree from a human institution as the foundation for their anti-choice views.

Interesting choice of words. I believe in protecting human life bc it's a Principe based on natural law. We all have a right to our life. But I digress. I'm afraid you might be right, and that's a damn shame if I have to choose between morality and rationality. Those should not be opposed to each other. :(

Karolina

As someone who sees opposition to abortion as contrary to social justice, morality, and ethics, their position makes perfect sense to me.

I'm afraid this thread may get off track here. I believe in social justice for everyone, children of all ages included. And I believe life supercedes every other liberty we have. If we don't support life, we're just cherry picking pet issues, IMHO.
But like I said, my post and question is not about abortion per se. I just needed to include it in the example I have bc I know most justice-focused faiths do not support the protection of the unborn.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on if you want to criminalize those who have abortions or just believe its immoral. Do you want a religion that compels outlawing abortion or one that discourages it in other ways? This makes a huge difference.

Things that might fit you and be somewhat religious, since nothing else does: Rock'n Roll music or other genre which has music that fits your beliefs, any appropriate fiction series which has a fan base such as Star Wars/Pride & Prejudice, Constitution of a country (pick your favorite),

Lastly you have to determine if your religion is about belief, dedication, study, acceptance or what. Its not like you can be everything. You have a certain size called human size, and you can only go in so many directions at once. For an analogy imagine you were a squirrel. How many things can a squirrel devote itself to at a time? If it has two things to think about it gets confused. You and I are like that, though we have a larger capability we are small compared to all of the possibilities and the pursuits. Another analogy is that we are not made of diamond but of some other gem, and in order for us to be flawless requires us to be cut down to a very small size. We can only have so many facets.

Karolina

It depends on if you want to criminalize those who have abortions or just believe its immoral. Do you want a religion that compels outlawing abortion or one that discourages it in other ways? This makes a huge difference.

Things that might fit you and be somewhat religious, since nothing else does: Rock'n Roll music or other genre which has music that fits your beliefs, any appropriate fiction series which has a fan base such as Star Wars/Pride & Prejudice, Constitution of a country (pick your favorite),

Lastly you have to determine if your religion is about belief, dedication, study, acceptance or what. Its not like you can be everything. You have a certain size called human size, and you can only go in so many directions at once. For an analogy imagine you were a squirrel. How many things can a squirrel devote itself to at a time? If it has two things to think about it gets confused. You and I are like that, though we have a larger capability we are small compared to all of the possibilities and the pursuits. Another analogy is that we are not made of diamond but of some other gem, and in order for us to be flawless requires us to be cut down to a very small size. We can only have so many facets.
Good points. Hm.

Brian2

Veteran Member