• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does "agnostic theism" imply deism?

Baydwin

Agnostic: "a person who believes that nothing is known, or can be known, of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena."
It's interesting in a way, I've read that definition a few times now and from my perspective holding a belief in the existence of deity would put one beyond the scope of what is written. Obviously you feel differently. I guess it shows subjectivity in action.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's interesting in a way, I've read that definition a few times now and from my perspective holding a belief in the existence of deity would put one beyond the scope of what is written. Obviously you feel differently. I guess it shows subjectivity in action.
Fair enough. Depends, I guess, on one's idea of "deity."

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I don't think I explained myself very well.
Essentially what I don't understand is how someone can believe in something without any basis (however feeble that basis might seem to others). I'm not saying that all theists need to claim knowledge of god, but I can't imagine how any can hold beliefs without a reason, and if you have a reason for believing in god I don't understand how you can still claim agnosticism. Does that make more sense?

A reason for believing something is not the same thing as knowing a thing. I have good reason to think that there are habitable extrasolar planets somewhere in the milky way galaxy (with the amount of planets out there in the milky way there is bound to be some that are habitable). But I have no knowledge of this. Currently it is beyond the scope of our knowledge and ability to find out one way or another. Thus my position is one of agnostic belief.

MTF

Baydwin

A reason for believing something is not the same thing as knowing a thing. I have good reason to think that there are habitable extrasolar planets somewhere in the milky way galaxy (with the amount of planets out there in the milky way there is bound to be some that are habitable). But I have no knowledge of this. Currently it is beyond the scope of our knowledge and ability to find out one way or another. Thus my position is one of agnostic belief.

MTF
You had me stumped there for a minute. But then I realised that the only reason you have for believing in the possibility of other habitable planets is the knowledge you have that one already exists. You know for certain that habitable planets do exist, since you're living on one, and that becomes the basis/reason/foundation of your speculation concerning the rest of the universe.

If we're talking about deities, it's a different ballpark. If we use similar grounds to your extra-solar planets example, an agnostic theist would still need their theist reasoning grounded in some form of firsthand experience, something that would render their agnosticism void.