• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a woman automatically become divorced if she converts to Islam?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I have just converted not long ago and my husband hasn't. He's fine with me being a Muslim, he even reminds me to do things like wear the hijab! He has the right belief but hasn't said the shahada.

To me, he isn't a kafir, he has the right belief in his heart just hasn't got the courage to convert yet. I'd rather stay with him, be a role model and wait for him. If he sees me doing things according to Islam, but still stay by his side, being patient and kind, he will be more likely to convert. If I just left, he would be angry and hate Islam for taking me.

I am not sure if I am doing the right thing in the context of Islam, even after watching this video (because I've heard so many different opinions). But I feel I'm doing the right thing for our context, because he's already considering the conversion. InshaAllah, he will see the light!

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
I have just converted not long ago and my husband hasn't. He's fine with me being a Muslim, he even reminds me to do things like wear the hijab! He has the right belief but hasn't said the shahada.

To me, he isn't a kafir, he has the right belief in his heart just hasn't got the courage to convert yet. I'd rather stay with him, be a role model and wait for him. If he sees me doing things according to Islam, but still stay by his side, being patient and kind, he will be more likely to convert. If I just left, he would be angry and hate Islam for taking me.

I am not sure if I am doing the right thing in the context of Islam, even after watching this video (because I've heard so many different opinions). But I feel I'm doing the right thing for our context, because he's already considering the conversion.

Congratulations sister and welcom to Islam :)

InshaAllah, he will see the light!

Ameen :)

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim

I am not sure if I am doing the right thing in the context of Islam, even after watching this video (because I've heard so many different opinions). But I feel I'm doing the right thing for our context, because he's already considering the conversion. InshaAllah, he will see the light!

Congratulations of finding the way. Hope the best for you.

1. Could you present the other views that you found. I can help clarify as I am familiar of the verses that people have misunderstood. I myself have a hard time accepting something until someone completely explains if a verse has been misunderstood and why it cannot mean what other seem to find.

2. It is a misconception that all non-Muslims go to Hell. Allah (swt) will judge by the heart and action of those who did not get a fair opportunity to understand Islam.

Have you been praying for you husband? I think you should really dedicate yourself to praying for him, fasting, and ask Allah (swt) to help guide him. Angels descend on the heart of people and make great changes. If the Holly Prophet (saw) only went around preaching and teaching good works he would have completely failed. It was his weeping prayers that saved Arabia. The dead became alive, the dumb began to speak wisdom, the deaf began to hear, and the blind began to see. This was all due to divine support. This is what you need as well.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

That is the right decision,what a wonderful thing that he is even reminding you to wear the hijab,
which also mean that he do care about you and loving you.

as you said when he see how your way of life changed,then he will understand islam much better.My best wishes,sister.

Cordoba

Assalamo Alaikom sister,

Congratulations for your Shahadah, and welcome to Islam

May Allah increase you in faith, wisdom, knowledge and peace

Ameen

I sent your question to an Islamic web site (Onislam.net), and this was their answer:

Generally speaking, a Muslim woman is not allowed to stay in a marital relation with a non Muslim husband.

However, there are some good details, especially for your case, which you can see via the following link which is a full detailed reply to a similar question to yours:

I Want to Embrace Islam: But Can I Keep My Marriage? - Da`wah to Non- & New Muslims - counsels - OnIslam.net=

The waiting period mentioned in the answer is between 2 and 3 months

I hope you find it useful In-Shaa-Allah

May Allah guide your husband to His Straight Path, and make the light of faith enter his heart soon

Ameen

Any time you have a question, if it's an easy one please post at this forum

If however it's a more complex question like the one you asked, then it would be better to use either of these resources:

- For specific religious questions: Ask the Scholar: Ask the Scholar - OnIslam.net

- For general questions about Islam: Ask About Islam: Ask About Islam - OnIslam.net

Wishing you all the best

F0uad

Mashallah great to hear!

I am so happy for you and jealous in a positive way hehehe :D.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
Just Reviving this Thread to Show Fellow Converts that in my opinion Islam does not teach to divorce your husband upon conversion. This is only true for those who have a husband that restricts them from worship and try to cause harm to them with the hope that discomfort will cause them to leave their religion.

I have no idea where and why do people keep promoting divorce in such cases when I have researched it and seen opposing opinions and its seems pretty clear that Islam is completely against it. It is quite unfortunate. If this was true then we would find widespread divorces as Women converted at the birth of Islam. This is a misunderstanding based on verses that actually never say anything in this context but are speaking about Women who seek shelter after conversion. Please Please ask these confused people to provide you with Logical Arguments to support their views. Don't divorce an innocent person who doesn't trouble your worship of God because you accepted a beautiful religion.

Never has Islam taught to follow any teaching blindly, if you are hinted towards such teachings maybe it is time to reconsider whether it really has a link to Islam. Everything Islam teaches is sensible and beautiful, this concept of divorce is highly highly displeasing to God. And to think that it would be mandatory to break apart a family even though the family has accepted the the wife converting to Islam, is unIslamic (in my opinion) to say the least.

If anyone wants to debate I am not interested. Quite frankly the arguments presented are not worthy of debate, as the thrust of the argument is not the Quran but rather the opinion of Scholars or attempts to justify their view from the Quran which appears to be an afterthought. One should wipe their mind free and then see what the Quran really says, rather than see what a Scholar says then try to support it using the Quran.

Maija

WOW Mashallah, the day my husband reminds me to wear hijab I will drop to my knees and thank God.

My husband has the right morals, his ethics are correct in the way he treats people, his fairness, lack of judging and backbiting, inshallah he will come to Islam.

Every salah I pray for this.
It took me years to re-revert back to Islam after my life went haywire and I reevaluated somethings, astaghfirullah. 2-3 months is not a long time, yes given an ultimatum of keeping the marriage or keeping the beliefs may force someone into a decision that they ultimately see the beauty in...but with that kind of deadline I fear my own example would be thrown in my face and it would make me look like a hypocrite. Allahu ALam, all I can do is pray for him and pray for guidance.

In the mean time I use this list to help me keep positive and be the best wife that I can be, things that may have some weight on his opinion of Islam.

61 not 60 ways to keep the love of your husband :) | ISLAM---World's Greatest Religion!

It's beautiful and has been helping!

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.
PRAYER FOR SPOUSE

[25:74] And those who, when they are reminded of the Signs of their Lord, fall not deaf and blind thereat;

[25:75] And those who say, ‘Our Lord, grant us of our spouses and children the delight of our eyes, and make us a model for the righteous.

[In this collective prayer, the Arabic word is used azwajena, it can be 'our spouses' too]

[25:76] It is such as will be rewarded a high place in Paradise because they were steadfast, and they will be received therein with greeting and peace,

[25:77] Abiding therein. Excellent it is as a place of rest and as an abode.

PRAYER FOR PARENTS

[17:24] Thy Lord has commanded, “Worship none but Him, and show kindness to parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age with thee, never say unto them any word expressive of disgust nor reproach them, but address them with excellent speech.

[17:25] And lower to them the wing of humility out of tenderness. And say, ‘My Lord, have mercy on them even as they nourished me in my childhood.

Maija

I have been LoOkIng for a prayer to say for my spouse and I had not been able to locate one, jazak allahu khayrun for this very thoughtful prayer!

dynavert2012

congratulations sister :foryou:, and may Allah guide your husband to his path and gather both of you in the heaven

amen