• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a theist have to believe that their 'deity', is real?

theism has to mean an actual entity?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
An idea from another thread; namely, does a thesit have to believe that their deity is 'real', and not just a concept. //ie an actual entity.

arthra

Baha'i
"... does a theist have to believe that their deity is 'real', and not just a concept. //ie an actual entity."

That's an interesting question... To be a Baha'i one must recognise Baha'u'llah as the Manifestation of God for this day... while we believe that the essence of God is unknowable there cannot be in my opinion a view God as merely a "concept" even though that in itself would be considered a "concept" ... and for me Baha'u'llah would be more than a "concept" I'm thinking.

So for me yes God is "real" even though I cannot know the essence of God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
An idea from another thread; namely, does a thesit have to believe that their deity is 'real', and not just a concept. //ie an actual entity.

My two cents.

I think abrahamic has claimed the name theist. I believe God is an concept; its using already given language to describe the mysteries and interaction with the mysterious of life. By that definition alone, Id be a theist.

If you mean a literal entity that comforts you; I find that experience foriegn and unrealistic, to rub some feathers.

If you had said monotheist, that is more specific. I dont think theist covers just one God per se (probably why youre asking....) look forward to the answers myself

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
My two cents.

I think abrahamic has claimed the name theist. I believe God is an concept; its using already given language to describe the mysteries and interaction with the mysterious of life. By that definition alone, Id be a theist.

Yep, perhaps there's a word for that, as well.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
"... does a theist have to believe that their deity is 'real', and not just a concept. //ie an actual entity."

That's an interesting question... To be a Baha'i one must recognise Baha'u'llah as the Manifestation of God for this day... while we believe that the essence of God is unknowable there cannot be in my opinion a view God as merely a "concept" even though that in itself would be considered a "concept" ... and for me Baha'u'llah would be more than a "concept" I'm thinking.

So for me yes God is "real" even though I cannot know the essence of God.

I see, interesting.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to point out that concepts still exist, and are still real, albeit in a different sense. Anything which a person has awareness of can influence them; that which is "real" is that which one can know and experience in any way. That includes things we call ideas and concepts, which are also "entities." I honor the Spirit of Learning, which is a concept and a force, but not a physical thing; is also quite clearly something that exists and is a part of our everyday lives. This kind of thinking may be foreign to our classical monotheist-dominated overculture, but it was not to our polytheistic and animistic ancestors.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thats a very lucid response. Different perspective on concepts that wouldnt have occured to me. I know this wasnt geared to me, and thanks.

I'd like to point out that concepts still exist, and are still real, albeit in a different sense. Anything which a person has awareness of can influence them; that which is "real" is that which one can know and experience in any way. That includes things we call ideas and concepts, which are also "entities." I honor the Spirit of Learning, which is a concept and a force, but not a physical thing; is also quite clearly something that exists and is a part of our everyday lives. This kind of thinking may be foreign to our classical monotheist-dominated overculture, but it was not to our polytheistic and animistic ancestors.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I think entity is a vague and meaningless word, but yes... As a Theistic Satanist I pretty much recognize anyone that sees Satan as either a being, conscious spirit, force (in a pantheistic sense), or even as a principle within themselves (auto-theism) as a Theistic Satanist. Most of the difference between all of these things is how much the individual can perceive and I wouldn't imagine it much different for any other spiritual concept. Many of us start from being completely atheist due to our rejection of mainstream religions and it is rather nonsensical to go from wading in the kiddie pool to jumping into the deep end - one is more likely to perceive the nature of a deity within themselves first. I do not however believe that the truly divine exists in the sense that we do, and I find it silly to try to humanize them and limit them with our notions of duality and associated baggage.

vaguelyhumanoid

I'm a polytheist pagan. The deities I revere might exist externally as incorporeal beings which influence various aspects of life, or they might exist internally as human archetypes of existence. I practice my religion regardless, because it speaks to me on a deep intuitive level and serves as a positive pillar in my life.

In short: no, a god doesn't have to be "real" to help their followers, or deserve worship.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Quint made a really good reply on this.

I am personally unsure about the existence of force, spirits, deities but all of the things I worship which are associated to those (cosmos, various parts of nature and values) do exist... It just depends if it's important enough for me to worship. The only reason I also believe in the things mentioned in the first sentence is simply intuition, a gut response, feelings. It's not set in stone.

A lot of people think of their gods as metaphors or concepts but it's still nonetheless important to them and has real tangible impact on their lives. That's why they worship them and I don't see why that wouldn't be considered theistic.

Posts such as Quint's and some others (like The Alergic Pagan's blog) helped me redefine and broaden my perspective.

There are plenty of agnostic/atheist/apophatic/etc. religionists who don't think god is real, think it can't be known, think the concept of 'exists/entity/real/etc.' are not applicable to god, or simply don't care one way or the other.

Why should it matter at all? It's their lives and if they think they gain something from it, good luck to them.

We act as if many concepts we find important are 'real' anyway, why should we highlight any one in specific as being 'strange'?

God lover

I think they would actually be an agnostic or atheist, fooling themselves or deliberately sneaking into the club for alternative motives.

To a degree faith grows and fades and grows again on different levels for anyone.

Christians talk about waking up and falling asleep.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Concepts are real. But they are also deceptive. I think many theists are very sensibly doubtful of being able to truly comprehend God. Who is to say that God fits within our likely flawed conception of "the real"?