• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a Soldier in War Break the 6th Commandment?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Killing people is at the top of my list of things not to do.

Tops mine too. I spent my lie avoiding the position or situation that would lead to the deliberate killing of another human.

. . . but I realize over the course of my life this is possible, but in the reality of a culture or society it is idealistically unrealistic.

Last edited:

Magpie1978

The The Sixth Commandment is: "Thou shalt not kill."

Does a soldier in war break the 6th commandment?

What are your thoughts? Please explain your reasoning.
I spoke to a pastor about this and his opinion was that God and his wisdom has the difference to view a sin like murder and a solider going to war for the goodness of his country and people in totally different ways. After all in the bible Old Testament it says an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth - so basically in certain circumstances it is permitted to kill but not for an evil motive like robbery or revenge etc

Tmac

I spoke to a pastor about this and his opinion was that God and his wisdom has the difference to view a sin like murder and a solider going to war for the goodness of his country and people in totally different ways. After all in the bible Old Testament it says an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth - so basically in certain circumstances it is permitted to kill but not for an evil motive like robbery or revenge etc

Get a new pastor.

DennisTate

Good question......
I believe that answer is no.....
as long as the situation truly calls for it.

Mark 3:4 "And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace."

I am almost certain that Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua was referring to the situation faced by the Machabees when Greco - Syrian armies were attacking Jewish communities on the Sabbath.

One community had refused to fight back....but the Machabees....in my opinion correctly judged that this is a violation of an admonition by King Solomon:

Ecclesiastes 7:16 "Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?"

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, First Book Of Machabees Chapter 2
Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, 1 Machabees Chapter 2
"So they gave them battle on the sabbath: and they were slain with their wives, and their children, and their cattle, to the number of a thousand persons. [39] And Mathathias and his friends heard of it, and they mourned for them exceedingly. [40] And every man said to his neighbour: If we shall all do as our brethren have done, and not fight against the heathens for our lives, and our justifications: they will now quickly root us out of the earth.

[41] And they determined in that day, saying: Whosoever shall come up against us to fight on the sabbath day, we will fight against him: and we will not all die, as our brethren that were slain in the secret places."

syo

absolutely yes. wars must stop, they make people break that command.

Faithofchristian

If my life is threatened, that it comes down to me or the other person life. I will defend my life, If I feel my life is threatened. If the other person's life is taken, Then they should not threaten the other person with their life.

Love your enemies, The best way to love your enemies, is pick up a big stick and knock them in the head. Correct them in the erorr of their way. You want Respect then give Respect in return.
You want me to show love towards you. Then show love towards me.

But if you think I am going to lay down and be beating on, Better Think twice on that one.
Yes the 6th Commandment does say, Thou shalt not kill.
That all depends are you being threaten with your life.
Are you defending your family.
Are you defending your neighbours life.
Are you in a war helping another country to defend themselves.

But to go out taking innocent People's lives without a cause. That's against the 6th commandment.