• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a Soldier in War Break the 6th Commandment?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Really? It is very simple. If you call it murder and you decide murder is unlawful killing based on human laws, then that is not a moral standard set by God, that is a moral standard set by humans, if humans are deciding what is and what is not murder. In fact calling it murder seems like a way to cheat the commandment to justify killing. Which while fooling the masses will not fool God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is only one definition of murder that I'm aware of, and it requires the taking of a life be illegal.

Taking a life (killing) not sanctioned by god (the "law") is considered murder (illegal killing; a sin). The soilder did not kill by god telling him to. He did so on his governments behalf instead of god; so, he commited a crime.

It does not matter if its thou shall not kill or murder.

The fact is a life has been taken and if going by christian scripture, to say either is not against the 6th commandment is blotting out the reason jesus came to begin with.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Really? It is very simple. If you call it murder and you decide murder is unlawful killing based on human laws, then that is not a moral standard set by God, that is a moral standard set by humans, if humans are deciding what is and what is not murder. In fact calling it murder seems like a way to cheat the commandment to justify killing. Which while fooling the masses will not fool God.
No, that's totally wrong. This has nothing to do with what a country decides on it's own, this is a single law within the body of the Torah's legal code which includes provisions for legal and illegal killing. I have no idea why you are applying this to secular law.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The The Sixth Commandment is: "Thou shalt not kill."

Does a soldier in war break the 6th commandment?

What are your thoughts? Please explain your reasoning.

Any Christian, Muslims or Jews involved in a war would do so assuming they're in accordance with God's laws. So the killing would be justified in God's eyes.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
No, that's totally wrong. This has nothing to do with what a country decides on it's own, this is a single law within the body of the Torah's legal code which includes provisions for legal and illegal killing. I have no idea why you are applying this to secular law.
Right. . . I think you need to go back and read your posts in this thread, as clearly you are now back peddling.

At any rate, let's here these God laws that make it OK to murder someone.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
first of all, it is clear that not all intentional killing is murder. For example, killing in self-defense is NOT murder. As another example, if in the most recent mass-shooting, the shooter was killed by the person who confronted him, I seriously doubt that anyone would have called for a murder trial.

The point is that killing is occasionally justified by the circumstances. When it is, it is not murder.

So that leads to the question of whether the killing that happens in a war is justified or not. And that will depend on whether the war itself is justified. But even if it is, not ALL killing in war is justified. That is why there are war crimes.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What are these laws specifically that allows God's children to murder each other please?

Exodus 21:12 ESV
“Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death.

Genesis 9:6 ESV
“Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you sure that is what you want your answer to be? As I could repeat my same approach, asking for Divine clarification on every term until you run out of Scripture.

I think some of you are missing what this debate reveals about the notion of Divine morality. In the end it always has to come down to human interpretation.

“So let it be written, so let it be done”.

I’m pretty sure God is sanctioning capital punishment here.

Don’t forget, I used to be a real Bible thumping Christian m’self. ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

“Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.

Booyah!
:)

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

So soldiers that killed at war should be killed. That is what you are saying.