• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a god exist

Does a god exist

• yes

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • no

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • maybe

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • don't know

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

We Never Know

No Slack
I don't care if your god is christain, baha'i, hindu, buddha, the spaghetti monster or which or whatever god.

Does a god exist is the question, period.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't care if your god is christain, baha'i, hindu, buddha, the spaghetti monster or which or whatever god.

Of course the spaghetti monster exists.

She is even more real than Prince Phillip and Haile Selassie were. Both were in fact considered divine people by some. But I could not draw real people to save my life, and I can draw the Flying Spaghetti Monster... even if it won't save my life either. In that sense she is more real than the two late gentlemen.

What I mean to say here is that there is a direct, unavoidable logical contradiction in such a blanket question. Saying that you don't care what is understood by "god" serves only to lampshade the problem.

All kinds of entities have been called gods in some context or another for all kinds of reasons, all over the place. It makes no sense to speak of a "generic" god. Gods have literally nothing in common other than someone having decided that they should be considered deities at some point, for whatever reason or lack of reason.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

YES

How I define God?
a) Omnipotent/Omniscient/Omnipresent "Be"ing
b) When prayed to in need God might come to my rescue

Not true:
*) God = human lookalike
*) God = Being in Heaven

How I define exists?
There is Physical and Mental existence
God is Beyond these

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, you ask a question, but I don't accept your framing.
The most general questions are: How many different categories of existence are there, can we add them up to a positive one meta-category and how does that matter? There are even more questions, when we start using different methods of comparing what is and what matters and when we then go meta and compare the different methods of comparing with each other.

But in short answer is you can make sense of it as you do and if I can make sense of it differently, then it appears that there is no one fundamental question with one correct answer.
I.e. what is the meaning of the universe, life and all the rest? Well, that depends on what you take for granted and if you accept I can do it differently in at least some cases. :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Golly gee -- we've never discussed that one before. Oh well -- there's always a first time.

BTW - can you let us know what "we never know" thinks the difference between "maybe" and "don't know" might be (assuming, of course, that you know of one)?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If by a god you mean a creator, of course. We're here aren't we?
First, "creation" is a material, Newtonian, deterministic idea. It works in everyday world, we see it working, it seems obvious to us, but, delve deeper, and things begin to get fuzzy.
Intuitive ideas like cause and effect, creation, &c have been found not-so-intuitive in modern physics.

Second, there is no empirical evidence of intentionality or a conscious entity manipulating things.
No "creation." No evidence of a creator. Whence this idea of God in modern thinking?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
BTW - can you let us know what "we never know" thinks the difference between "maybe" and "don't know" might be (assuming, of course, that you know of one)?
They're not mutually exclusive. The reasonable thing is to believe what there's evidence of, and defer belief, pending evidence, for unevidenced entities or ideas.