• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a god exist?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Personal experience is just that. Personal.

Many claim personal.experience turned them to a god. I wonder what personal experience turns people away from a god.
Probably when a miracle doesn't come true. Like when the parents of a child with a deadly genetic disease beg God to save the child, but there is no reply.

We Never Know

No Slack
The entertainment is seeing how deeply theists trap themselves.

I was once told years ago by any old timer that when a person dies and goes to heaven, they will not remember anything because on earth we all experience pain and sadness. That in heaven pain and sadness doesn't exist therefore we wouldn't have a memory of our life on earth.

I had no arguement for that and its always stuck in my mind.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What is gained or lost from arguing about personal beliefs besides nothing
1) It get's the blood pumping :)
2) It gives me something neutral to argue about with my dad. We don't argue about football; we argue about The Torah.

DNB

Christian
I see so many arguements here about a god existing or a god not existing, show me your evidence a god does exist and show me evidence a god doesn't exist, etc.

Its all pretty pointless being a god exists by having belief/faith or a god doesn't exist by not having belief/faith.

I myself do not know if a god or any god does exist. A god could have set everything into motion and has since let everything from the universe to life evolve or it all could have naturally happened. If you know which, show me undeniable evidence of it.

There is no evidence to show a god does or doesn't exist. If a god does exist that would be great but if a god doesn't exist, does it really matter.

Asking for evidence of a god existing or not existing is pretty ignorant being evidence for neither exists.

If you believe in a god thats great.
If you don't believe in a god thats great.
Both are personal choices and evidence isn't involved.

We are each our own self and have our own beliefs which is what keeps us from being like robots.

What is gained or lost from arguing about personal beliefs besides nothing?

In my opinion I see it as believers trying to get others to believe and critisize others for not believing(you are going to hell) and non-believers trying to criticize others for believing and argue(you are uneducated and don't understand science).

Thats my opinion and I could be wrong.
Of course God exists, otherwise not a single person on this forum, including yourself, would know what you were talking about.

Nimos

I see so many arguements here about a god existing or a god not existing, show me your evidence a god does exist and show me evidence a god doesn't exist, etc.

Its all pretty pointless being a god exists by having belief/faith or a god doesn't exist by not having belief/faith.

I myself do not know if a god or any god does exist. A god could have set everything into motion and has since let everything from the universe to life evolve or it all could have naturally happened. If you know which, show me undeniable evidence of it.

There is no evidence to show a god does or doesn't exist. If a god does exist that would be great but if a god doesn't exist, does it really matter.

Asking for evidence of a god existing or not existing is pretty ignorant being evidence for neither exists.

We are each our own self and have our own beliefs which is what keeps us from being like robots.

What is gained or lost from arguing about personal beliefs besides nothing?

In my opinion I see it as believers trying to get others to believe and critisize others for not believing(you are going to hell) and non-believers trying to criticize others for believing and argue(you are uneducated and don't understand science).

Thats my opinion and I could be wrong.
Well the issue goes deeper than that, if religious beliefs had no impact on Earth and how people are treated, I would agree. But lots of people suffer due to religion, Our societies are impacted by it as well. Whether that is in regards to education or health and so forth. I don't think there is anything wrong in asking for evidence for such beliefs when that is the case.

Obviously not saying that all religious beliefs are bad, by some of them definitely are and have a huge impact on humans all over the world.

Heard the Atheist experience the other day and an newly atheist called in telling about how his mother who is a devoted Christian refuse to get vaccinated, because she believes that God is protecting her. To me that is just one of many examples of how religions causes harm to people by filling their head with nonsense ideas.

You have people calling in almost in tears because they are afraid of being shunt by their family telling them that they no longer believe in God.

And to me, I don't think that is good or acceptable, especially since no evidence for this have been provided, I don't think that it is to much to ask for and I think everyone should do it.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well the issue goes deeper than that, if religious beliefs had no impact on Earth and how people are treated, I would agree. But lots of people suffer due to religion, Our societies are impacted by it as well. Whether that is in regards to education or health and so forth. I don't think there is anything wrong in asking for evidence for such beliefs when that is the case.

Obviously not saying that all religious beliefs are bad, by some of them definitely are and have a huge impact on humans all over the world.

Heard the Atheist experience the other day and an newly atheist called in telling about how his mother who is a devoted Christian refuse to get vaccinated, because she believes that God is protecting her. To me that is just one of many examples of how religions causes harm to people by filling their head with nonsense ideas.

You have people calling in almost in tears because they are afraid of being shunt by their family telling them that they no longer believe in God.

And to me, I don't think that is good or acceptable, especially since no evidence for this have been provided, I don't think that it is to much to ask for and I think everyone should do it.

"But lots of people suffer due to religion"

On a quick note, how many people suffer without religion?

Have a good night.

I had belief but no experience or relationship till God revealed Himself then I had experience, proof and a relationship with God.
I can tell people about this but found everyone has to experience and get their own proof and relationship with God.
I see evidence for God everywhere but was blind to it before.

Nimos

"But lots of people suffer due to religion"

On a quick note, how many people suffer without religion?

Have a good night.
I don't know, you mean how many suffer from simply being a non believer?

I honestly don't think they suffer from it, they might suffer due to other things obviously. But I have been an atheist my whole life, so never really thought about that. I could imagine that some atheists that used to be believers might struggle with it, but that is just a guess.

Suave

Simulated character
And with technology we can keep the body alive when the brain is dead.
Please kindly disregard the part of my presentation mentioning scientists having kept pig's disembodied brains alive, as this has been a dismal failure on my part to have in any way demonstrated the potential for consciousness to be simulated. I will replace the mention of living disembodied pig's brains with an interesting study conducted by Henry Markram and his team at the Blue Brain project having successfully simulated elements of a rat’s neocortical column, a complex layer of brain tissue common to all mammalian species. " Henry Markram at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne and his team built their model based on experimental measurements of rat brain slices. The simulation represents roughly 37 million synapses, or neuronal connections, in the brain region that receives sensory information from the whiskers and other parts of the body. Using the model, the team simulated rat whisker movement and saw similar neuronal responses to those observed in rat experiments."

Computer model of rat-brain part - Nature.

I realize a computer simulation of a rat's neocortical column is nowhere near the complexity of a computer simulation of an entire living human brain, but this does demonstrate at least a bit of progress so far being made towards an entire human brain's consciousness being simulated by a computer. Right?

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member

What do you mean by evidence? It will be interesting to understand what your theory of knowledge is. What do you mean by evidence?

Its better not to give famous testable or verifiable evidence etc etc which is not specific. What is evidence to you? Are you referring to scientific evidence? What is your epistemology?

Thank you in advance. Most of the time this kind of discussion is just an up and down game of sarcasm and LOL's (literally). Thats why I am asking. Its interesting to know how people approach knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe that there is evidence that shows that God exists, but that is just the way I see it and I don't expect others to see it that way.

If God exists it is more than great but if God does not exist nothing would make sense to me, but that is just the way I see it and I don't expect others to see it that way.

Wherever God is He is probably chuckling ear to ear when He sees all these threads that are started to talk about Him. :D

firedragon

Veteran Member
Haha. How on earth can we prove there is/isn't a god?

Atheist don't accept the theist definition of god and atheist seem to think all theist believe in the same type of god.

Where do we start?

I really dont understand your statement about atheists seem to think all theists believe in the same type of God. One of the most common arguments of atheistic polemists is "which God" which I think is quite lame and is a response indoctrinated into these lay people by the famous polemists. Atheists won't agree with that statement. But this seems to be one of the most used responses.

So I am just clarifying what you mean by that.

And there are different types of atheists and theists. This is in response to your "how on earth" question. There are some who by default dismiss anything and everything no matter what the argument is. There are some who accept the arguments as absolutely valid but they do not follow through with it for a lot of reasons. There are some theists who simply call on faith to answer this question. Some theists use various arguments classical and new.

So this would depend on your epistemology and intent.

Cheers.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I see all sorts of little things that show various aspects of gods cannot exist

Childhood leukemia shows there is no
compassionate god

The futulity of prayer shows no listening god

Mass (matter) existing shows no omnipotent god

But wait for it. Here we have a picture of god

spiritual-experience.jpg

This is an mri scan of a brain thinking of god

Lain

I was once told years ago by any old timer that when a person dies and goes to heaven, they will not remember anything because on earth we all experience pain and sadness. That in heaven pain and sadness doesn't exist therefore we wouldn't have a memory of our life on earth.

I had no arguement for that and its always stuck in my mind.

In my opinion we will remember these things but see all the good in them clearly, and how in reality it was good. It is like the point the Apostles made about the Lord Jesus constantly, Him being tortured to death and executed by Romans and Jews was really His enthronement as the King of Glory, and Him judging the world. The wounds were health, etc. There is always an apparent reality and a true reality to things, even our suffering and evils that we experience.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

It's impossible to prove that a thing does not exist, unless it is defined in self-contradictory ways.
Only the existence of things can be proven / supported.

Why do you think that it's "great" to believe things for which there is no evidence?

Actually, that's not at all why I "criticize" people who believe things without evidence, or even in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Beliefs inform actions.
And when people have irrational beliefs, then those will lead to irrational actions.