• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a god exist?

Milton Platt

Credible evidence is a fair request. In my experience most atheists/unbelievers will take only empirical evidence (evidence that can be verified by repeatable scientific experiment etc).

There are other forms of evidence, of course. But the quantity and quality of evidence needed to support a claim depends a great deal on the nature of the claim. If you walked up to me on the street and said you had a car in your garage, I would accept that claim on face value. It is a trivial claim and has no impact on my life or anyone else's (save perhaps your own).
If you walked up to me and said you had an invisible dragon in your garage that could walk on water and that you killed it and three days later it came back to life, no amount of anecdotal evidence would ever suffice.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
There are other forms of evidence, of course. But the quantity and quality of evidence needed to support a claim depends a great deal on the nature of the claim. If you walked up to me on the street and said you had a car in your garage, I would accept that claim on face value. It is a trivial claim and has no impact on my life or anyone else's (save perhaps your own).
If you walked up to me and said you had an invisible dragon in your garage that could walk on water and that you killed it and three days later it came back to life, no amount of anecdotal evidence would ever suffice.

That is not a fair comparison. We are talking about 'evidence', not the object. If I had evidence for the dragon say, for example I had a sack of invisible scales, that would be evidence, direct evidence, and there are all kinds of evidence.

Milton Platt

That is not a fair comparison. We are talking about 'evidence', not the object. If I had evidence for the dragon say, for example I had a sack of invisible scales, that would be evidence, direct evidence, and there are all kinds of evidence.

How would you prove to me that they are dragon scales?
Yes, it's fair. The dragon has some of the same qualities a Christian version of a god has. It's invisible and undetectable by any known means and it came back to life after being dead three days. How do you demonstrate to me that such a thing exists? I can then use the same method to see if your god exists. Perhaps you believe in a different version of a god....define it and we can use that version to be more fair.

MrMrdevincamus

No you misunderstand me. My original reply was about evidence not being accepted, or worse a double standard being employed. By that I mean that some atheists will accept ONLY empirical evidence. They will not accept other valid evidences. The goal of debate is truth, i.e. to prove something exists. If this is the case both sides should accept all evidence that it exists.
BTW, I could defend both the 'object' argument, as well as the argument that some atheists demand an unequal playing field, accepting only some types of evidence etc (my original reply was defending the latter). For example an invisible dragon is not the same thing as God existing. Christians can present eye witness evidences, among others. Those who claim the invisible dragon can not. Jesus was God, as was alluded to by professional theologians etc. Jesus was known in Rome as a risk to national security due to his supernatural ability and the people he was attracting to his movement via his powers. I don't know of many invisible dragons that walk on water that were seen by thousands and considered real enough to be noticed the most powerful nations on earth, eh? But we are getting ahead of ourselves. I would like to defend my first reply first which again is that nearly all evidences (within reason) should be considered in a debate about God. Silly evidences could easily be dismissed.

Last edited:

MrMrdevincamus

What is wrong with this forum log in system? I just lost a reply when the system prompted me to log in while I was already logged in. Anyone else having problems? Hmm sounds phishey to me!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hmmm. I'm having a little trouble with this question. I happen to believe in a "Greater Reality" or Tillich's "Ground of Being," but not necessarily in the Judeo-Christian deity (or any other deity).
I’ve never really seen any reason to consider a “ground of being” to be God.

Tillich and his ilk kinda strike me as atheists who are having trouble coming to terms with their atheism.