• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a god exist?

DOKS

everything about ones perception of god's existence or not is a matter of faith. you either have faith in the opinion that he exists or have faith in the opinion that he doesn't exist. none is our own opinion but what has been handed down to us. and that's why it should be a big subject of discussion with a lot of honesty to self.

DOKS

when we say most of the bible stories are metaphorical, yet the persons who wrote the stories did not say it is metaphorical but real happenings. I was not there when the red sea was alleged to have been parted by God to know it a reality and you also were not there to know that it was metaphorical. but the reporter of the story, who was there, says it was real. we are still looking for one person, who was there at that time, to tell us that it was metaphorical and not real. what do you say?

DOKS

we can be divided, by our religious affiliations while we live. but two things are certain. where we come from must be common, and where we will go after this life will be common. is there a possibility that a Hindu will reincarnate because he believed in it and a Christian to wait in grave for the day of judgement, and an atheist to in exist because he believed in god's in existence?

MansFriend

Let's champion the rights of all individuals!
Does a god exist somewhere out there? Or is it the name given to the total silence within us?
Yes, God does exist somewhere both in and out "there".
God isn't just a tangible "thing" that someone can go and find as if it was a lost relic of some kind.

The best scientific pursuit of God's actual tangible existence is in examining the web of consciousness that exists between certain human beings. I say certain human beings, but the point of God's existence is to raise ordinary human beings into a higher level of spiritual functioning.

If you examine the claims made by Joseph Smith Jr. you will see that according to him that the being Jews, Christians and Muslims call "Heavenly Father" is a being who has a body of flesh and bone as tangible as man's body of flesh and blood. This was a rather bold statement to make considering the orthodox Christian climate of the day. However, a close examination of the Bible indicates that the relationship between God, angels and humans is extremely interrelated and even mutually dependent.

When humans become "spiritually born of God" they pass from a state of spiritual death to a state of spiritual life. Of course this is within the context of what it means to be spiritually alive or spiritually dead. There are false spiritual births to false spirits that places human beings into a different spiritual state than others would be in. This is the basis upon which there is a lot of strife between the various sects of religion.

Putting aside the varying degrees and varieties of spiritual bodies human beings can become spiritually born within, they all generally come with some kind of terms and conditions of a covenant they are making. As a general rule they agree to function in some manner as a group where the group starts taking on an identity, personality, behavior, etc. of its own. This is the kind of body that Joseph Smith Jr. is referring to when he said that the Father and the Son as resurrected beings have a body of flesh and bone. As individuals grow in their knowledge of the Word and Will of God, they receive a greater endowment of His Spirit within them. They begin to fall inline and function with the others of their group in a manner that makes them a part of a greater body.

All of these individuals participating in these various spiritual bodies, at varying levels or degrees of glory, have received a spiritual birth. This is what transforms an ordinary human being into an angelic being. There are many people here in the flesh who are spiritually alive angelic beings who also have their bodies of flesh and blood. Angels are "hosts of heaven" because they generally participate in the governing aspects of the body within which they belong.

All of these angelic beings who have joined in the pure and valid covenant that the true and living God offers are collectively the members of the body of God. Paul the apostle teaches this quite explicitly in his various treatises. Ephesians 5:30 comes to mind where he challenges the brethren of the priesthood to consider this point: "Know ye not that ye are members of his (Christ's) body, of his flesh and of his bone?" He is telling them the actual literal identity of the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ. Literally the group of those who believe in Jesus and who receive the Spirit of God in them and they are received into the body of Saints by way of valid ordinances literally become a part of the body of God.

It is in this manner that the Mormon religion advocates that individual human beings can become spiritually born of God and progress through varying levels and degrees of spiritual glory/endowment and in due time have a full understanding that they are literally an integral part of the functioning of the tangible flesh and bone body of God.

In the belief of Joseph Smith Jr., so far as I can tell because he never went on record for having said this, it was his understanding that before the new world would be complete there had to be a process by which the new Creation's Godhead would need to be recomposed. There are some people who will become members of the new Creation's Elohim, which is a plurality of elite human beings who have received the highest spiritual endowment that can be bestowed upon a human being. These are the individuals who, collectively as a functioning covenant body, become the new Creation's Elohim.

The overall point here is that God is a co-essential and co-eternal aspect that is an inherent and synergistic component of the human race, or at least a portion of what people consider the human race.

MJFlores

Does a god exist somewhere out there? Or is it the name given to the total silence within us?

There is.
The world does not know him.
And the world does not want to know him.

tumblr_n8roupy0uj1r21medo1_500.gif

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
Yes. God is a placeholder or adjective describing how we feel in active voice.

I felt the experience of goodness and love when meditating.

I felt the experience of god when meditating.

Before I chose Christianity as my personal belief system I practiced Buddhism. Back then there was a new type of meditation that was becoming popular called transcendental meditation, TM. The goal of TM was to become one with God/universe which when one attained that level it was called 'enlightenment'. On average usually took five to ten years to decades of practice to attain that goal of perfect harmony with our universe and therefore God. I tried TM for about three years and did attain higher levels of relaxation but gave up on Buddhism and the not related TM meditation due to my involvement with Christianity. However, I do think TM was healthy and was worth the time invested. So I began meditating again a few years ago but don't use the TM method due to its proximity to a faux God, and it tends to push substituting enlightenment for a personal relationship with Jesus and God.

; {>

DrTCH

"Hmmm. I'm having a little trouble with this question. I happen to believe in a "Greater Reality" or Tillich's "Ground of Being," but not necessarily in the Judeo-Christian deity (or any other deity). While I have no problem with those espousing a theistic or deistic formulation that happens to work for them, I do kind've resent some in here seeming to want to push this approach down our throats. One does not HAVE TO believe in a deity to still value some kind of religious (or mystical) path and belief-system. As a matter of fact, Buddhism--to cite an example--does not deal much with gods, but is certainly a legitimate tradition, held by many millions around the world.

Now,[/QUOTE]

DrTCH

DARN, I SURE wish I could find my original reply to this question, so I could polish it up a bit. This is in reply to the question about God and Silence.

Hmmm. I'm having a little trouble with this question. I happen to believe in a "Greater Reality" or Tillich's "Ground of Being," but not necessarily in the Judeo-Christian deity (or any other deity). While I have no problem with those espousing a theistic or deistic formulation that happens to work for them, I do kind've resent some in here seeming to want to push this approach down our throats. One does not HAVE TO believe in a deity to still value some kind of religious (or mystical) path and belief-system. As a matter of fact, Buddhism--to cite an example--does not deal much with gods, but is certainly a legitimate tradition, held by many millions around the world.

No, I do not hold to there being a "God," at least not in the usual sense. And, as you may have gathered, I am not at all happy with being confronted by a lot of doctrine and dogma. As Episcopal Bishop John Shelley Spong has written (in several insightful books), there are (even in Christianity) the two general approaches--exoteric and esoteric. I would suggest that the latter is where the treasure is, while the former is for the riff-raff...or novice seekers. Of course, Organized Religion has had no stomach for the latter, and has used orthodoxy as a pretext for wars, pogroms, inquisitions, shaming and excommunications. Of course, folks like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins have written some exciting books, but--by moving to a terribly extreme position, I'm afraid--have "thrown the baby out with the bathwater," in denying any kind of spirituality at all. Yikes!!

And, no, I do NOT think that "God is Silence," as silence might simply mean the experience of "ringing in the ears" (tinnitus) or the absence of any com-munication or perception...or even a sense of abandonment (at least until you provide us with a better definition of "silence").

VioletVortex

EXACTLY right: Metaphorical or mythical. In no way, LITERAL!!

All ancient religions are elaborate systems of metaphor used to make the unrelatable relatable. Abrahamism, however, touts its mythology as being the literal truth; any metaphor in the bible comes from the conglomeration of sources from which it was written.

Li Chun

Agnostic kitty
Firstly, in order to address this view, we need to test phenomena that religion lay claim about the natural world. There are many supporting pieces of evidence that prove that a monotheistic god exists. However, there is also much evidence that disproves the phenomena described in the bible. Then, we have a situation where the creationists try and uphold their viewpoint by mentioning possible flaws in the disproof of god. The same goes for the proof of God. There emerges a God of the gaps theory and the opposite of it. Therefore, it is not entirely possible to have a strong conclusive view of a subject matter that is this sensitive. We do not know if there is a God or if there isn's one.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
I firmly believe in God whether He acts within of without of one's self. I've experienced a miracle and praise God I'm not dead. I had tripped and went sailing down a flight of stairs upright. I landed squarely on my feet which should have been impossible. Let alone being upright all the way down.

MrMrdevincamus

I firmly believe in God whether He acts within of without of one's self. I've experienced a miracle and praise God I'm not dead. I had tripped and went sailing down a flight of stairs upright. I landed squarely on my feet which should have been impossible. Let alone being upright all the way down.

I saw Dick VanDyke (sorry bout' the spelling) do something like that while watching 'METV' (Retro TV).

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
I saw Dick VanDyke (sorry bout' the spelling) do something like that while watching 'METV' (Retro TV).
He did it on purpose and did not have to contend with the startle factor. My toe had caught in the cuff of a pant leg. And I'm a little top heavy. I should have tumbled. Instead I flew level. It certainly amazed me.

MrMrdevincamus

He did it on purpose and did not have to contend with the startle factor. My toe had caught in the cuff of a pant leg. And I'm a little top heavy. I should have tumbled. Instead I flew level. It certainly amazed me.

A little top heavy huh? Well by my opinion that's far better than being bottom heavy, ha ha, eh? Yes, gravity and objects in motion can do strange things! Van Dyke had a comic factor as well but you are right, ie purposefully falling in a 'kind of' controlled manner vs an uncontrolled unknown tumble. I have read that forms of martial arts are based on that, meaning using the foes momentum etc against them. May I relate an experience? I am a fairly big guy 6'0 and 210 lb. A couple of years ago I lived in the country, so when my inside dogs wanted outside to play and do dog stuff I would tie them with 100ft of rope. One day I called them in and as usual here they came to me, like full speed, a 75 pound basset and a 45 lb mixed breed named 'Katie'. However instead of stopping to greet me they blew right past me without slowing! By the time I noticed their rope was wrapped around my ankles the slack ran out it was like....!!!! TWANNNNG,!!!! that nylon rope snapped taught and I was in the air upside down, my head about three feet from the ground! My landing was much easier than I thought it would be and my pups gave me lots of dog kisses to make up for it. I still dont know how I was launched that high and in that position..(upside down, doing a complete landing on my butt 360)..God does have a sense of humor!. Ahhhh, my apologies to the forum for going off topic

Last edited: