• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a god exist?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why not? If you let go off control or censor, which is creating friction, then you can act without letting the thought intercept. So then there is no division at all at any instant.
I am thinking of Moksha as an end state and not a human state. At Moksha there is no longer an identification with any individual soul or ego.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
I am thinking of Moksha as an end state and not a human state. At Moksha there is no longer an identification with any individual soul or ego.
So there is a goal. To attain Moksha is the goal. As longvas the goal is there you aint got a chance to attain that. If the goal falls down, the desire falls down then you are already in that state.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It is 'I'as i know myself as conditioned by culture, by society which forms a thought pattern called my personality. So if you break this pattern. It is your physical death. And most of us cant stand it. Thats why we are living on images, which came from our past.

It's as easy as breaking free from defining yourself according to society and cultural, so you can be a fully-realized person. I expect this is a difficult, if not impossible, action for many people. Largely, because they are so fully defined by outside influences.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
No, I really did mean your mind.

Like your brain and its ability to have abstract thoughts.
Our brain is just a reactor and a converter not a creator. And thoughts are not mine. It is the result of our interaction with the world keeping hold our past which is conditioned.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
It's as easy as breaking free from defining yourself according to society and cultural, so you can be a fully-realized person. I expect this is a difficult, if not impossible, action for many people. Largely, because they are so fully defined by outside influences.
Its not difficult and not at all impossible. We have to listen to ourselves, observe the patterning of thought. Let it flower and see how it withers after sometime. Most of us dont take the effort to listen and observe. We want somebody else to do it for us. And so we are caught in the same vicious circle

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Its not difficult and not at all impossible. We have to listen to ourselves, observe the patterning of thought. Let it flower and see how it withers after sometime. Most of us dont take the effort to listen and observe. We want somebody else to do it for us. And so we are caught in the same vicious circle

Hence, why it is so difficult for many people.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
Hence, why it is so difficult for many people.
Because we are so occupied with our daily routine that we have so little space left. And self inquiry requires immense freedom. Freedom to observe. And when you watch the patterning of thought and break it, it is the real physical death. And we are not ready for that kind of thing. We want to live in misery and die in misery.
If we break the conditioning, we also erase all memories of past which are thoughts and we are not ready for that kind of a thing.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Because we are so occupied with our daily routine that we have so little space left. And self inquiry requires immense freedom. Freedom to observe. And when you watch the patterning of thought and break it, it is the real physical death. And we are not ready for that kind of thing. We want to live in misery and die in misery.
If we break the conditioning, we also erase all memories of past which are thoughts and we are not ready for that kind of a thing.

I don't know about the physical death and memory thing, but I can agree with the rest.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
I don't know about the physical death and memory thing, but I can agree with the rest.
What you are the 'I'is the accumulation of your past. Its that thought pattern which is operating in everybody. So if that comes to an end then its the same as the physical death not psychological. It is based on your past experiences that we design future. Its a continuation of past.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
anytime you get that amazing awestruck feeling, people associate those feelings with God. it's delusional rationalization, and blast the details on inconsistencies with reality.

people enjoy the excitement and anticipation of going to heaven, and getting high on righteousness. they like wielding judgment on mankind all in the name of God's will. they put the blinders on reality, and cherry pick rationalizations to a make it fit reality perception.
God believers self justify everything they do as authority from God.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
anytime you get that amazing awestruck feeling, people associate those feelings with God. it's delusional rationalization, and blast the details on inconsistencies with reality.

people enjoy the excitement and anticipation of going to heaven, and getting high on righteousness. they like wielding judgment on mankind all in the name of God's will. they put the blinders on reality, and cherry pick rationalizations to a make it fit reality perception.
God believers self justify everything they do as authority from God.
Why do we want to accept authority at all. Why we oppose political authority but become slaves to spiritual con men. Any kind of authority should be opposed. We are bored with our routine life, no space at all. No freedom for self inquiry. So we want somebody else to tell us what to do. Self inquiry requires immense freedom. So then we observe the patterning of thoughts which is our past. Let it flower and when it withers then there is the silence where time has come to halt. This state can only be achieved through meditation. It should not be episodic and the flow should be continuous.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Even some Pagans don't say how they define god because they consider it "too personal" or something that "can't be described."
Anything that "can't be described" isn't available to us to be the focus of a religion.

Belief is something we do with concepts. You can't believe in what you can't even conceive.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Anything that "can't be described" isn't available to us to be the focus of a religion.

Belief is something we do with concepts. You can't believe in what you can't even conceive.

I can't think of another way to put it, but you can conceive something imaginary and develop beliefs around it. I don't know any other factual way you can, I agree; by imagination is the only way I can see it.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom

Why do we have to believe something. The mobile is in your hand, do you have to believe that? If you perceive something and act instantly then you dont have to beleive.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to my post.
See we have to believe anything only when you are not sure of it. Otherwise we do have to believe. Its a fact as tangible as any other tangible objects. So it is intangible which make us difficult to accept and we call it belief