• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a god exist?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Does a god exist somewhere out there? Or is it the name given to the total silence within us?

It's a name given to the total silence within us.

Some Pagans believe in external gods others believe everything is god; some physical others internal.

God is also an experience or god can be defined by the testimonies of other people.

God can be the still voice or gut feeling. God is also/or seen as the unlikely events that happen to us daily.

God is a personification of life. God can also be our internal need for gratitude for our being and living.

God can take on a physical form and incarnations of different aspects of life that teach us various lessons. Others see god as everything and/or within everything either equal to or above us.

Some see god as a definition of something "greater." As if there is a great purpose or meaning. Others define god as an origin; since, they believe life cannot exist without an origin. It gives one a sense of beginning and being.

There are many definitions of god.

All of which seem to point to our perspective of the world, how we live it, internalize it, externalize it, purpose, values, and lifestyle.

There isn't a fixed definition.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom

Some Pagans believe in external gods others believe everything is god; some physical others internal.

God is also an experience or god can be defined by the testimonies of other people.

God can be the still voice or gut feeling. God is also/or seen as the unlikely events that happen to us daily.

God is a personification of life. God can also be our internal need for gratitude for our being and living.

God can take on a physical form and incarnations of different aspects of life that teach us various lessons. Others see god as everything and/or within everything either equal to or above us.

Some see god as a definition of something "greater." As if there is a great purpose or meaning. Others define god as an origin; since, they believe life cannot exist without an origin. It gives one a sense of beginning and being.

All of which seem to point to our perspective of the world, how we live it, internalize it, externalize it, purpose, values, and lifestyle.

Yes but then can we attain god through meditation?

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
It is known that a certain region of the brain is instrumental in creating feelings of authenticity. The experience of silence could conceivably be explained wholly in terms of the functioning of the brain.
The brain is just a reactor and a conWaldorf schools frequently have striking architecture, employing walls meeting at varied angles (not only perpendicularly) to achieve a more fluid, less boxed-in feeling to the space. The walls are often painted in subtle colors, often with a lazure technique, and include textured surfaces.
Brain is just a reactor and a converter, not a creator. So where does true intelligence comes from?

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
The brain is just a reactor and a conWaldorf schools frequently have striking architecture, employing walls meeting at varied angles (not only perpendicularly) to achieve a more fluid, less boxed-in feeling to the space. The walls are often painted in subtle colors, often with a lazure technique, and include textured surfaces.
Brain is just a reactor and a converter, not a creator. So where does true intelligence comes from?
Brain is just a reactor and a converter then where does true intelligence come from?

Orionis

Best one I've head so far goes like this...
"God doesn't exist, therefore s/he is there"
I like that so I keep it!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is this meditation episodic or can it be like a continuous flow

It depends on the religion you follow. I think a Hindu @Vinayaka or similar faith can explain how meditation relates to understanding of god.

In general, medication (sorry, thinking of other stuff--meditation, I mean, lol) can give you a mystic experience that many people interpret as god (experience of gratitude, awe, appreciation, love, and/or so have you).

What differentiates god from simple emotions is anyone can experience love but in many religions who believe in god, they find ways to honor, revere, or worship the experience whether in and of itself or as an external force, ideal, or personified being.

Meditation is a good way to connect with that. That or prayer among other things.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does a god exist somewhere out there?

Maybe. Maybe more than one. Nobody knows. Some claim to know, but they are making a claim to knowledge that they cannot possibly possess.

That's a very nice post.

For me, it is also support for my previous comment: Nobody knows if there are gods. I have no such feelings or intuitions. I don't feel the presence of a god.

So, I have to ask myself if others are sensing something really out there that I am unable to perceive, or if they are really only sensing some aspect of their own minds and calling it a god. How can one decide?

Easy. Interview people individually and have them describe what they are experiencing. If they all give you more or less the same answer, it is likely that they are experiencing something real, and the opposite if their answers don't seem to be describing the same thing.

Foe example, suppose that I have red-green color blindness, and suspect that there really is no such thing as red and green vision - that this a hoax like Santa Clause or the imaginary snipe your friends send you out to find with a bag and a flashlight. The way to tell is to get a pair of gloves that look identical to you, but which somebody tells you are one red glove and one green one. Then go polling people that claim to be able to see red and green individually. If they consistently report that the left-handed one is green and the other one red, you know that they are seeing red and green. You can conduct the test again with the other two gloves that reverse the colors of the two hands to be certain that people in on the hoax don't know to say green for left and red for right. If the people are lying or imagining things, they won't be consistent in their answers.

Isn't that what the police do when they are questioning a group of suspects or witnesses? If they can, the police separate and question them before they have a chance to influence one another's accounts. If the stories are all consistent within themselves and relative to one another, then they are probably all describe something that really happened.

So when I hear and read dozens of disparate descriptions of God, I have good reason to believe that people are not reporting about anything objectively real, but something that exists only in their minds that they are calling God.