• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does A Flower...?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Does a flower know it is a flower?
Does a flower know its purpose?
Does a flower know it is beautiful?

pexels-pixabay-36753.jpg
pexels.com

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I would think no more than an egg knows it's an egg or that my hand knows it's a hand (I was going to name another body part that corresponds more to a flower would on a plant, but I didn't feel it would be appropriate for the forum ;)).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Genetic knowledge is amazing. I've always been amazed by the round black seeds of canola, turnip, cauliflower, broccoli, and other members of that family. You put those tiny seeds in a line, and there's no way you can tell which is which, but they all know.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know... If it does understand that it exists, its unlikely it would categorize itself the same way we do.

Doubtful. How many, of any species, really know that?

Beauty varies. What one person considers beautiful, another considers a weed.

Nothing quite fills my heart with joy like the first few dandelions popping up, sometimes amidst the snow still. But there are some who pay hundreds a year just to keep the little yellow sunbursts off their lawn!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

View attachment 47976
pexels.com

Does it matter that the flower knows or understands these things? It just simply needs to "Be", as we all do.

But to hazard a guess, yes, the flower/plant "understands" that that is what it is. It is content within it's earthly confines.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

View attachment 47976
pexels.com

Plants don’t have nervous systems but video captured by the scientists behind this new study of injured plants shows that they do have their own version of fight-or-flight when they come under attack.
Plants' Response To Being Eaten Is Very Similar To Our Response To Pain, Researchers Prove

I read something about this several years ago. They were able to measure the response in plants somehow. They had a guy come in and hack up a number of plants in front of other plants. After that whenever this homicidal plant killer entered the room the remaining plants reacted differently than when anyone else entered.

They seem to have some kind of environmental awareness.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

View attachment 47976
pexels.com
Everything has consciousness. Nothing has no heart, nothing is incapable of feeling joy or grief
But not all have the eye to see, the ear to listen, the heart to respond to this magic which is all around us