• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a belief in a god show lack of education?

We Never Know

No Slack
I've seen it said to people here on numerous occasions that they are not highly educated if they believe in a god.

I've seen it said to some that claim that a god has spoken to them that they are possibility suffering of mental illness.

Do you think these hold truth's?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Poorly educated people are more gullible in being victims of fraud and believing in absurd claims, but even well educated can be duped.

Religious and cultural concepts tend to be adopted by members of the community as social learning. So belief in God is not necessarily due to education. We see less religious belief in the USA over the last few decades because disbelief is more prevalent as an option.

The problems of belief in concepts that are extreme or fantastic is what comes into question.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I've seen it said to people here on numerous occasions that they are not highly educated if they believe in a god.

I've seen it said to some that claim that a god has spoken to them that they are possibility suffering of mental illness.

Not the first, but for the second...

If they mean it literally, and we aren't talking about hypnagogic/hypnopompic states, drugs, physical extremes, etc., then yes: I'll suspect mental illness.

night912

No, they're not necessarily uneducated. They're just being irrational for believing in something which they have no objective evidence to support it being true, especially when they have no method of differentiating their god speaking to them from their own mind and/or other outside sources.

Suave

Simulated character

Of the 10 Highest IQ’S on Earth,, 8 are theist, 6 are Christians. examiner.com

Of 10 highest IQ’s on earth, at least 8 are Theists, at least 6 are Christians: Examiner.com. | Eternal Vigilance

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Yes, I have seen this too on RF. People spreading such information, for sure, suffer from a very specific disease, which is almost incurable

People telling other people this, fall in the same category as described above; again, I have seen this even more often

I am not a doctor, nor a clairvoyant, nor omniscient, so I don't make that mistake of labeling people in such an ignorant way

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

No earthly education has nothing to do with a belief in a God.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No, they're not necessarily uneducated. They're just being irrational for believing in something which they have no objective evidence to support it being true, especially when they have no method of differentiating their god speaking to them from their own mind and/or other outside sources.
Irrational to whom? The disbeliever? Should a believer stand corrected because a non-believer think it is foolish to believe in a God?

Heyo

Veteran Member

Yes.

But not in exactly the form you phrased it.
There is a statistically significant, negative correlation between education and belief in god. The beliefs of more educated people are usually more sophisticated than those of lower education. But you can't draw the conclusion that a specific believer is less educated, only that there is a higher chance.

"Hearing voices" is literally a colloquial definition of mental illness. But that phenomenon has more depth to it and it would take a trained psychiatrist and several hours of examination to make a diagnosis.

So, in conclusion, there is some truth behind those statements although they have become wrong by oversimplification in the form given.

night912

Because of faith in God.
What's the difference between having faith in God and having faith that there is no God? If a theist has faith that God exist and an atheist have faith that no God exist, which belief is the correct one? Both have equal amount of faith for their beliefs, so how do we determine which one is true? Of the two, which one is the one who is being rational? Both? Neither one of them?

And the follow up question. Why?