• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do your beliefs make you happy?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am having a hard time following. Are you suggesting that you no longer hold your beliefs when you do not think of them. For instance if you had a son, you would no longer believe your son is your son when you do not think about this relationship?
No, that is not what I mean at all. I mean that when my mind is occupied with the worldly things I am not very happy. I still hold my beliefs but I am not thinking about them when I am thinking about getting a plumber to fix my rental, or getting a new tenant for my house, for example. Those are distractions that take my mind off of the spiritual world. This passage should help explain what I mean:

“If we suffer it is the outcome of material things, and all the trials and troubles come from this world of illusion.

For instance, a merchant may lose his trade and depression ensues. A workman is dismissed and starvation stares him in the face. A farmer has a bad harvest, anxiety fills his mind. A man builds a house which is burnt to the ground and he is straightway homeless, ruined, and in despair.

All these examples are to show you that the trials which beset our every step, all our sorrow, pain, shame and grief, are born in the world of matter; whereas the spiritual Kingdom never causes sadness. A man living with his thoughts in this Kingdom knows perpetual joy. The ills all flesh is heir to do not pass him by, but they only touch the surface of his life, the depths are calm and serene.” Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 110

While I find the idea novel and interesting, I am not so sure I agree. We have to many reactions that indicate belief despite having insufficient time to think about our beliefs before we react.
I am not sure what you mean by that. What do you mean when you say reactions that indicate belief?

Curious George

Veteran Member
No, that is not what I mean at all. I mean that when my mind is occupied with the worldly things I am not very happy. I still hold my beliefs but I am not thinking about them when I am thinking about getting a plumber to fix my rental, or getting a new tenant for my house, for example. Those are distractions that take my mind off of the spiritual world. This passage should help explain what I mean...
Then how is it your beliefs here that are making you happy?

I am not sure what you mean by that. What do you mean when you say reactions that indicate belief?
I am afraid it is very tangential unless you are suggesting that we no longer hold a belief when we are not thinking about that belief.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Then how is it your beliefs here that are making you happy?
It is knowing I have them that makes me happy. That is because my beliefs are the most important thing I will ever have in life and death. Knowing I have the Truth from God for this age in history is no small thing. Logically speaking, there cannot be anything more important than God's Truth. Certainly no material world enjoyments hold a candle to spiritual truth.
I am afraid it is very tangential unless you are suggesting that we no longer hold a belief when we are not thinking about that belief.
You are correct. I still hold the belief, and you just helped me to realize it is no big deal if I sometimes have to tend to other things related to the material world, because my beliefs are not going anywhere. They will be there for me when I finish what I have to do. :D

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Great post! Are you getting disability benefits?

May your humble suffering make you spiritually advance!
I did get disability payments for years, but when I turned 66 I got social security instead for exactly the same amount of money. We also get money from a trust that my mother set up.

I haven't suffered that much really. If anything my life has been too easy.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I haven't suffered that much really. If anything my life has been too easy.
I wish I could say that, but as a Baha'i I feel like I am supposed to be grateful for all the suffering I have had to endure... but enough is enough already God! :eek: That reminds me of this quote I hope is true:

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

I am absolutely certain a lot of my suffering is owing to a hereditary disposition to depression and anxiety, as well as a difficult childhood and present life circumstances that are beyond my control. I would prefer a simpler life like you have but I really cannot do anything I am not already doing about the cats and houses and tenants right now, so I try to just rise above it and be grateful for what I have. I am very grateful I have forums like this one and friends like you. :) I also have many other blessings like my job, good health and financial security. :) Of course I also have my Baha'i beliefs I am very grateful for. :D

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I wish I could say that, but as a Baha'i I feel like I am supposed to be grateful for all the suffering I have had to endure... but enough is enough already God! :eek: That reminds me of this quote I hope is true:

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

I am absolutely certain a lot of my suffering is owing to a hereditary disposition to depression and anxiety, as well as a difficult childhood and present life circumstances that are beyond my control. I would prefer a simpler life like you have but I really cannot do anything I am not already doing about the cats and houses and tenants right now, so I try to just rise above it and be grateful for what I have. I am very grateful I have forums like this one and friends like you. :) I also have many other blessings like my job, good health and financial security. :) Of course I also have my Baha'i beliefs I am very grateful for. :D
I am sure you will suffer in the future, and I sympathize with it. But there will also be good things. I hope you will become certain of that quote you provided because that would help. But at least you have hope for it. I don't know what my afterlife will provide but I believe that I will have something useful to do and I will learn many things. I am very curious about some of the events of Bible. I want to know what really happened.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am sure you will suffer in the future, and I sympathize with it. But there will also be good things. I hope you will become certain of that quote you provided because that would help. But at least you have hope for it. I don't know what my afterlife will provide but I believe that I will have something useful to do and I will learn many things. I am very curious about some of the events of Bible. I want to know what really happened.

I sure hope we will have something useful to do in the afterlife because I do not want to be bored to death, although that will not be possible since we will already be dead. :rolleyes:... Forever is a long time, too long to be bored. :eek:

Why do you think you will find out about the events in the Bible? I guess that is possible because somewhere I read that whatever we want to know we will just know when we ask it... I am going to want to know why people have to suffer so much here in this world.

Yes, I know I have a lot more suffering ahead of me. When one loves animals deeply the way I do, suffering is unavoidable because all animals die. Right now that is the bulk of my suffering is about. House and tenants are a huge stress but nothing compared to a cat being ill or worse. I did actually get some rent money from the ocean house tenant today and there is more on the way. He has kept up on the rent for four months now, and I think he will pay all the past due rent soon. Everyone said I should have evicted him because he was 10 months behind at one time, but I trusted my gut feeling about him.

As for my other tenants who left in December I have not heard from them for quite a while. They promised to pay the six months’ rent they owe but if they go back on that promise I will have to go to small claims court. I got a postcard in the mail today from someone who wants to buy that house and has cash and it was tempting to think about it but I think I have a good tenant for it now, so I am going to try to hang in there. First I have to get the water damage repaired and the old part of the roof replaced though.

I am certain that the quote is true regarding the afterlife but I cannot say I believe that days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for me in this mortal world. It could get better though. It has already gotten better than it was in the past. My life has been a storehouse of suffering.:( This rental house/tenant nightmare is just a temporary bump in the road and after it is resolved at least I won’t have that on top of the cat issues.

Cary Cook

Just curious if your beliefs make you happy and why. Thanks!
No. My beliefs don't make me happy. But my reason tells me that an afterlife is possible, and that it may be just. If so, then if I behave so as to deserve happiness, then I will get happiness. That doesn't make me happy, but it makes me confident that if there is a right path, I am on it.

Cary Cook

I don't like God very much. I think he's cruel.

Well that's a problem. There's no cruelty in God. All that is in imaginations of people who put words in God's mouth and had wanted to put themselves up on God's throne.

I don't like God at all. And since he designed my emotions, he not only knows it, but he couldn't expect me to be otherwise.

I agree with PopeADope that he appears cruel. But all that may be justified in an afterlife.

I assert that Jumi is speaking dogmatically in saying, "There's no cruelty in God". Unbiased examination of the evidence I have seen says otherwise. I personally don't think he likes being cruel, but he appears to want something that requires the appearance of cruelty more than he wants to not appear cruel.

I love God...

Unless you divorce "like" from "love" you see the inconsistency here, right? I don't love God either. I just choose to cooperate with him to the best of my ability, because I think such behavior is in my best interest.

Last edited:

Cary Cook

I don't think of God as a designer. Perhaps this is a key difference.
Odd statement for a monotheist. Do you think the universe and everything in it was created without design? Or that it just happened while God did nothing but observe?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Just curious if your beliefs make you happy. Sometimes my prayers to God and heavenly beings make me happy, hopeful, confident, blissful, peaceful, and on occasion more euphoric than drugs.

Then there are days like today where prayer does absolutely nothing. I figure faith is being tested at those times.

When I first converted to Catholicism, my beliefs were not healthy at all. They did not make me happy.

I believed more than 90% of the world was in a state of mortal sin, and , that everyday Souls were falling into hell like leaves falling off trees. I believed that sin cried out to heaven for vengeance, and that God was punishing the world through Wars, famines, heresies, and disease.

I have since been cured of such views. But the belief in such things remains strangely prevalent among believers. If I chose to believe such things it would only make me miserable.

It is sad!

I don't like God very much. I think he's cruel. That's why it helps me to go to a saint or soul in heaven.

I choose to worship God, not because I like him or agree with him, but from the need of maturity, prudence, sobriety, healing, and guidance from a power wiser and stronger. Prayer has helped a lot. When I stop praying, the consequences are disastrous.

Just curious if your beliefs make you happy and why. Thanks!

Okay...? So you have some kinda weird love-hate relationship with God.

Btw, you can get into a better relationship with God. It starts with having a healthier relationship with yourself.

Jesus Set Boundaries - Soul Shepherding

Common Sense: Jesus Doesn't Want You to Be a Doormat

Jumi

Odd statement for a monotheist. Do you think the universe and everything in it was created without design? Or that it just happened while God did nothing but observe?
Why I call myself monotheist? It comes to me from experiencing God for lack of better words. I try not to add on anything extra to that. Whether we are designed or not, and if we came to exist by will God or by luck isn't important to me.

Cary Cook

Why I call myself monotheist? It comes to me from experiencing God for lack of better words. I try not to add on anything extra to that. Whether we are designed or not, and if we came to exist by will God or by luck isn't important to me.
I was looking for the post where you and I responded to PopeADope and couldn't find my post. Without that, I'll just have to wait before addressing this issue.
Do they delete posts here without telling people?

Cary Cook

I don't think #109 is the one I meant.

Anyway, in response to #115, I'm not asking why you call yourself a monotheist. I'm asking what I asked, and you are apparently declining to answer because the answer isn't important to you. If so, apparently the discussion is over.

Jumi

Anyway, in response to #115, I'm not asking why you call yourself a monotheist. I'm asking what I asked, and you are apparently declining to answer because the answer isn't important to you. If so, apparently the discussion is over.
I call myself a monotheist because I only believe in one God. Nothing more, nothing less.