• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Wear...

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For some, wearing a symbol of their religion or something inspired by their faith has meaning to them. Perhaps putting it on is part of a ritual, is thought to bring about an effect, better aligns themselves with their deity/s, or helps identify them to others that share their faith.

Do you have anything you chose to wear that has religious significance? What is it, and why?

Is there something you wear that is required or highly recommended in your faith? What is it, and why is this done?

Is there something that is often worn in by those of your faith that you don't feel comfortable wearing? Why?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I wear an ankh. I also have a Horu cartouche necklace.

I wear extremely modest/covering clothing, too.

I just like being able to have symbols after going so long having none. The modest clothing is just better aligned with my conservative beliefs, which ultimately hinge on my religion.

20210627_000433.jpg

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I wear an ankh. I also have a Horu cartouche necklace.

I wear extremely modest/covering clothing, too.

I just like being able to have symbols after going so long having none. The modest clothing is just better aligned with my conservative beliefs, which ultimately hinge on my religion.

Those are really pretty. :) Do you wear them both at once?

Psalm23

For some, wearing a symbol of their religion or something inspired by their faith has meaning to them. Perhaps putting it on is part of a ritual, is thought to bring about an effect, better aligns themselves with their deity/s, or helps identify them to others that share their faith.

Do you have anything you chose to wear that has religious significance? What is it, and why?

Is there something you wear that is required or highly recommended in your faith? What is it, and why is this done?

Is there something that is often worn in by those of your faith that you don't feel comfortable wearing? Why?

Sometimes I wear a cross or a Star of David necklace. I don’t have anything that is required for me to wear. Depending on one’s view of head coverings for women in the church, one may feel it is required while others do not feel the same. I feel it is good to listen to one’s own conscience in the area of dress.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I wear a single rudraksha, and have earrings, because before the British, Hindu men wore earrings, and the British managed to ridicule it out of them. Most Brahmins priests still wear earrings, but that's about it. So I'm a traditionalist. The rudraksha is a strong suggestion in my sampradaya.

You?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I wear a single rudraksha, and have earrings, because before the British, Hindu men wore earrings, and the British managed to ridicule it out of them. Most Brahmins priests still wear earrings, but that's about it. So I'm a traditionalist. The rudraksha is a strong suggestion in my sampradaya.

You?

I had an Om necklace I wore for a long time(it broke). I often carry two citrines on me in hopes of balancing what I feel is likely an underactive solar plexus chakra.

Though its not directly religious, I most often find myself wearing salwar kameez these days. I discovered them upon searching for a saree to wear to the temple, and my husband bought me one. Over time, I've found little desire to wear much else(I've acquired a few more). Its comfortable, beautiful, and I can chase kids without worry of a wardrobe malfunction. When my youngest was in speech therapy earlier in the pandemic, no mask would fit his face, and I'd drape my dupatta over his face, as I figured something was better than nothing(being shy, I think he enjoyed that, too). Religiously inspired, but not religiously required, I suppose.

An article I read recently had me contemplating wearing a bindi, but I haven't decided anything definitively.

Sometimes I wear a cross or a Star of David necklace. I don’t have anything that is required for me to wear. Depending on one’s view of head coverings for women in the church, one may feel it is required while others do not feel the same. I feel it is good to listen to one’s own conscience in the area of dress.

I've heard of some women covering their hair in church, but wasn't sure why this was. Why do some feel its required? (Just curious. :) )

Bear Wild

Thor's Hammer

il_794xN.2145724970_tvbl.jpg

Living in central Texas we need rain to keep my sacred groove I planted alive and growing. So I keep leaving offerings to Thor so he will grace us with his storms. My plants appreciate this. I took this picture recently after leaving an offering for rain for my plants.

upload_2021-6-26_20-48-9.jpeg

That is my elm tree in my back yard as the storm approached.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had an Om necklace I wore for a long time(it broke). I often carry two citrines on me in hopes of balancing what I feel is likely an underactive solar plexus chakra.

Though its not directly religious, I most often find myself wearing salwar kameez these days. I discovered them upon searching for a saree to wear to the temple, and my husband bought me one. Over time, I've found little desire to wear much else(I've acquired a few more). Its comfortable, beautiful, and I can chase kids without worry of a wardrobe malfunction. When my youngest was in speech therapy earlier in the pandemic, no mask would fit his face, and I'd drape my dupatta over his face, as I figured something was better than nothing(being shy, I think he enjoyed that, too). Religiously inspired, but not religiously required, I suppose.
I ALWAYS wear dhoti (veshti) to temple. When travelling sometimes it'll just be a kurta. Not all temples have a handy place to change. I actually managed to change one elder friend by being an example. One day he asked me why I always wear veshti, and I said, "if nobody does, we'll lose it." Since then I've never seen him in slacks. I'm ashamed for Hindu men. The women dress in religious attire at about 5 times the rate of men. I abhor seeing men in business suits at temples, because it's an open statement of European influence AND so darned uncomfortable.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

An article I read recently had me contemplating wearing a bindi, but I haven't decided anything definitively.

I've heard of some women covering their hair in church, but wasn't sure why this was. Why do some feel its required? (Just curious. :) )
Islamic dress has something like salwar kameez that I have thought about buying. My dress in general is Islamic style with long dresses and abayat. Here are what they call 'suits',

Screenshot_20210627-024931.png

Screenshot_20210627-024951.png

I would like to try one :)

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Thor's Hammer

il_794xN.2145724970_tvbl.jpg

Living in central Texas we need rain to keep my sacred groove I planted alive and growing. So I keep leaving offerings to Thor so he will grace us with his storms. My plants appreciate this. I took this picture recently after leaving an offering for rain for my plants.

View attachment 51987

That is my elm tree in my back yard as the storm approached.

That is beautiful; both Thor's Hammer and the storm. I would love to visit Texas during storm season...

I ALWAYS wear dhoti (veshti) to temple. When travelling sometimes it'll just be a kurta. Not all temples have a handy place to change. I actually managed to change one elder friend by being an example. One day he asked me why I always wear veshti, and I said, "if nobody does, we'll lose it." Since then I've never seen him in slacks. I'm ashamed for Hindu men. The women dress in religious attire at about 5 times the rate of men. I abhor seeing men in business suits at temples, because it's an open statement of European influence AND so darned uncomfortable.

That's really cool you were able to influence someone like that.

I've noticed that when at the temple, too... most of the women wear something at least semi traditional, but only one or two men do the same.

I hate men in suits, period. Both because they look uncomfortable, and because they're so.... bland.

Islamic dress has something like a salwar kameez that I have thought about buying. My dress in general is Islamic style with long dresses and abayat. Here are what they call 'suits',

I would like to try one :)

Those are gorgeous. And they look comfortable, too! Do you generally cover your hair, or is this just part of the outfit in the picture?

I used to have an Islamic style dress that was super comfortable and had a lot of beadwork on the collar. My son threw it in the dryer, unknowingly. And that was the end of that.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That is beautiful; both Thor's Hammer and the storm. I would love to visit Texas during storm season...

I've noticed that when at the temple, too... most of the women wear something at least semi traditional, but only one or two men do the same.

I hate men in suits, period. Both because they look uncomfortable, and because they're so.... bland.

Those are gorgeous. And they look comfortable, too! Do you generally cover your hair, or is this just part of the outfit in the picture?

I used to have an Islamic style dress that was super comfortable and had a lot of beadwork on the collar. My son threw it in the dryer, unknowingly. And that was the end of that.
That's just part of their outfits. I don't want folks to think I'm actually a Muslim and I see no need to cover my hair tbh. I love wearing abayat though with the long dresses underneath, but next payday will be some suits, lol.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I'd fit right in here.
images

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

I wear something similar around my neck.
It has no special effect, but is just a reminder of the path and its effect.
Or perhaps it does have an effect, because it is a yantra.

iu

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That's just part of their outfits. I don't want folks to think I'm actually a Muslim and I see no need to cover my hair tbh. I love wearing abayat though with the long dresses underneath, but next payday will be some suits, lol.

I wanna see! (When you get them.)

I'd fit right in here.
images

Honestly, those look really comfortable. How are they worn? Is it similar to the longyi?

Bear Wild

As long as you visit before June. For some reason we have had some wonderful springs. Who knows with what will happen in the future with global warming but right now I am outside with the sun now below the horizon with a wonderful breeze. Tomorrow it will be hot again but I have learned to appreciate the moments when it is this beautiful. Tomorrow I do my initiation ceremony for the OBOD. Although looking back it seems I have always followed this path.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the reminder, I need to order a chotki. I lost mine in a recent move.

I often carry a chotki wrapped around my wrist.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hmmm... I don't really practice a particular religion, but the tattoos I have contain symbology specific to my path. I plan on getting more in the future.

I may buy a troll cross to wear. It's a symbol that has significance to me. :)