• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want full ID?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It's difficult to establish so much trust in government but could be of great benefit.
Big Projects are the first benefit of large government. Things like space travel, research grants, etc. Whenever somebody talks about how great an empire was it always includes a description of its large projects: dams, buildings, tech, war machines, science, financial systems etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think it can be done. We just need to invent a way to extend the power of government oversight while keeping ourselves in charge of it.
That will be a pipe dream.

Whomever is in control will be the ones pulling the strings in every case. It's a clear-cut road to totalitarianism.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
That will be a pipe dream.

Whomever is in control will be the ones pulling the strings in every case. It's a clear-cut road to totalitarianism.

It is disturbing watching it unfold.

Somehow people are being convinced to willingly surrender the last vestiges of personal freedom.

“Please place us all under house arrest for our own good, in the name of Jesus and /or democracy”

I often point out that the relationship of the people to their rulers looks like they have submitted to narcissistic abuse.
When the abuse victim willingly gives the abuser their bank account numbers, passwords, contact list etc....they are knee deep in ****, standing on their head.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I'm trying to think about it.

That’s good to hear.

Do you ever watch Futurama ? The episodes with Mother ?
It is Mother who is selling you the idea that you should always provide her with a spare set of keys to your house, and all your passwords.

Over the last 25 years I have observed that Mother has been formenting a lot of trouble all over the world. She invented Global Terrorism, and supports it via subsidiaries of Mother Inc.

She is in the protection racket.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
That’s good to hear.

Do you ever watch Futurama ? The episodes with Mother ?
It is Mother who is selling you the idea that you should always provide her with a spare set of keys to your house, and all your passwords.

Over the last 25 years I have observed that Mother has been formenting a lot of trouble all over the world. She invented Global Terrorism, and supports it via subsidiaries of Mother Inc.

She is in the protection racket.
I've said enough already.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Government should provide both life and freedom, and a lot of other things if it's good.

We provide that for ourselves.

Government is there to ensure that whilst doing that we are not subject to coercion and threat, and to represent the will of the community regarding laws and administration.

Government has increasingly become the tool of Big Business.
War is also a tool of Big Business.

“Insert cash to restrain hammer”

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
We provide that for ourselves.

Government is there to ensure that whilst doing that we are not subject to coercion and threat, and to represent the will of the community regarding laws and administration.

Government has increasingly become the tool of Big Business.
War is also a tool of Big Business.

“Insert cash to restrain hammer”
Yes but as the population goes up government's job gets harder.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Imagine if everyone knew not only how much money you had, but what you were spending it on.

Would charity increase? Would good people be able to be helped better when they were in trouble?

Again, please quote my post if you want me to reply.
No, that's a crackpot idea. It's no business of the government what I spend my money on unless it's criminal. It's like conducting full-scale surveillance on all aspects of a person in hopes of stopping them before they commit a crime. It's like Minority Report.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
We could teach morals and let the people choose, but I was thinking more in terms of using it to support the general welfare than to punish people.

Edit: Also, some morals need to be enforced, whether or not people believe in those morals.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

Imagine if everyone knew not only how much money you had, but what you were spending it on.

Would charity increase? Would good people be able to be helped better when they were in trouble?

Again, please quote my post if you want me to reply.

Jesus said 'to give in secret knowing your Father in heaven sees'
This was because we should not be motivated by recognition from others.

Jesus also said let your light so shine that men might see your works and glorify your father in heaven. It boils down to motive, giving glory to God not yourself.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Jesus said 'to give in secret knowing your Father in heaven sees'
This was because we should not be motivated by recognition from others.

Jesus also said let your light so shine that men might see your works and glorify your father in heaven. It boils down to motive, giving glory to God not yourself.
Would love to analyze that tomorrow.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, that's a crackpot idea. It's no business of the government what I spend my money on unless it's criminal. It's like conducting full-scale surveillance on all aspects of a person in hopes of stopping them before they commit a crime. It's like Minority Report.
The sad part is every passing decade it seems to be getting closer and closer to realization of a real version of Minority Report. Science fiction becomes reality. I would guess within the next century, if nothing changes direction, it'll be realized.