• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you use prayer beads?

Katja

Any type, any religion-- Catholic or Anglican rosary, Hindu or Buddhist mala, Orthodox komboskini/chotki, Muslim tasbih, Pagan beads, Bahai beads, beads you invented yourself, etc. Do you use them? Have you made your own?

(I know there have been topics about this in the past, but it's been quite a few years, and I wasn't sure if I should resurrect older threads or create a new one.)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've made my own, because the odds of someone selling what I was looking for were basically zero. The Four are a cornerstone of my tradition, so I wanted something to use as a focus for invocations to the Four. There's a local shop that lets you create your own beaded jewelry. I went there one day and picked out a number of natural stone beads to represent the Four. :D

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I don't use prayer beads, but I've known somebody who used beads for a different purpose than prayer.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am non-religious but I was thinking about making some for my own meditation practice. :) I do some woodworking and I have a wood lathe I can make beads with. Ethically harvested with local wood.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am non-religious but I was thinking about making some for my own meditation practice. :) I do some woodworking and I have a wood lathe I can make beads with. Ethically harvested with local wood.

I have thought of that too. Recycled wood is ethical. Really round beads would be a ton of work though.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have thought of that too. Recycled wood is ethical. Really round beads would be a ton of work though.
Yeah if you want them very precise spheres it takes more work. There are very good rounding chisels but for old school, low speed treadle lathes you practically have to sharpen between each bead to get a good cut. Electric lathes are easier.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yeah if you want them very precise spheres it takes more work. There are very good rounding chisels but for old school, low speed treadle lathes you practically have to sharpen between each bead to get a good cut. Electric lathes are easier.

I made a single ball for my granddaughter with several kinds of wood in the pattern. Tough but doable. It rolled quite well. Beads don't have to be perfect though. Revolt has a treadle lathe. Mine is a cheap basic electric. What do you have?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I made a single ball for my granddaughter with several kinds of wood in the pattern. Tough but doable. It rolled quite well. Beads don't have to be perfect though. Revolt has a treadle lathe. Mine is a cheap basic electric. What do you have?
Treadle. Old Victorian style lathe bed on a restored singer sewing base. :)

Katja

I've made my own, because the odds of someone selling what I was looking for were basically zero. The Four are a cornerstone of my tradition, so I wanted something to use as a focus for invocations to the Four. There's a local shop that lets you create your own beaded jewelry. I went there one day and picked out a number of natural stone beads to represent the Four. :D

How do you use them? Just as a tactile focus, or also for counting? What do they look like?

That would be neat. If you do, please post pictures.

Ellen Brown

How do you use them? Just as a tactile focus, or also for counting? What do they look like?

That would be neat. If you do, please post pictures.

I've been reading a story set in a Navajo (American New Mexico) background. I am unaware that they use prayer beads but there is just lots of jewelry.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Mostly a tactile focus. There are four sets of them, which of course corresponds to there being four Elements. For each set, I utter a recitation that has something to do with qualities of the Four or correspondences of the Four. They are all real stone/mineral beads. I might have written down exactly what the beads were somewhere, but it looks like the Air one is aquamarine, the Fire one carnelian, the Earth one is a sandstone, and Water is sodalite. There are also five spacers representing Quintessence and I think those are onyx. They're cylindrical rather than round. Small brass spacers separate each bead too, and the ends have a little tassel with hematite and quartz. It was a fun project!

Katja

Mostly a tactile focus. There are four sets of them, which of course corresponds to there being four Elements. For each set, I utter a recitation that has something to do with qualities of the Four or correspondences of the Four. They are all real stone/mineral beads. I might have written down exactly what the beads were somewhere, but it looks like the Air one is aquamarine, the Fire one carnelian, the Earth one is a sandstone, and Water is sodalite. There are also five spacers representing Quintessence and I think those are onyx. They're cylindrical rather than round. Small brass spacers separate each bead too, and the ends have a little tassel with hematite and quartz. It was a fun project!

Oh, neat. I assumed you had incorporated all into one set of beads.

Carl Smith

I use rosary beads for prayer. It is made up of olive wood. Whether you belong from any religion, I don't think so you need any special rosary beads to do pray. Thank you!

Ellen Brown

I just found my Islamic prayer beads. I'm careful with them because there is the admonishment about repetitive prayer.