• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you understand the trinity?

calm

I explain it with a comparison.
We humans are a trinity too. We humans consist of a body, a soul and a spirit. And yet we are not 3 humans but only one human. It is the same with God, he consists of a body, a soul and a spirit. And yet it is not three Gods but only one God. The body of God is Jesus, the soul of God is the Father and the Spirit of God is the Holy Spirit. But the difference between us and God is that he can share himself and we can not. Now you ask yourself what Jesus was before he became human (body). The answer is, he did not exist and did exist anyway. Jesus as a person did not exist but he was always there. It's like the humans. If somebody asks a human, how long do you exist? Then you have 2 answer possibilities. The first one is: since my birth. The second is: Since Adam and Eve. The first answer is related to the person himself, the second is related to the nature. All human beings are one nature, namely: human. So it is with God the Father and God the Son, they are one nature, namely: God. So, if you ask Jesus, how long do you exist? then he also has several answer possibilities, but there are 2 differences with Jesus, the first is, he has 3 answer possibilities, the second is, he consists of 2 beings, he is the son of a human and the son of God, he is human and God at the same time. So, if you ask him: How long do you exist? Then he have 3 possible answers, the first one is: Since my birth (as the person himself) the second is: Since Adam and Eve (as human), the third is: I have no beginning (as God).

Do you understand it?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We humans are a trinity too. We humans consist of a body, a soul and a spirit. It is the same with God, he consists of a body, a soul and a spirit. And yet it is not three Gods but only one God. The body of God is Jesus, the soul of God is the Father and the Spirit of God is the Holy Spirit.

Are you a Siamese twin? Because I would hope you wouldn't be so arrogant as to speak for me (or anyone else for that matter) on this forum.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
We humans are a trinity too. We humans consist of a body, a soul and a spirit. And yet we are not 3 humans but only one human. It is the same with God, he consists of a body, a soul and a spirit. And yet it is not three Gods but only one God. The body of God is Jesus, the soul of God is the Father and the Spirit of God is the Holy Spirit. But the difference between us and God is that he can share himself and we can not. Now you ask yourself what Jesus was before he became human (body). The answer is, he did not exist and did exist anyway. Jesus as a person did not exist but he was always there. It's like the humans. If somebody asks a human, how long do you exist? Then you have 2 answer possibilities. The first one is: since my birth. The second is: Since Adam and Eve. The first answer is related to the person himself, the second is related to the nature. All human beings are one nature, namely: human. So it is with God the Father and God the Son, they are one nature, namely: God. So, if you ask Jesus, how long do you exist? then he also has several answer possibilities, but there are 2 differences with Jesus, the first is, he has 3 answer possibilities, the second is, he consists of 2 beings, he is the son of a human and the son of God, he is human and God at the same time. So, if you ask him: How long do you exist? Then he have 3 possible answers, the first one is: Since my birth (as the person himself) the second is: Since Adam and Eve (as human), the third is: I have no beginning (as God).

Do you understand it?
Quantum Theory is easier to understand than The Trinity. At least Quantum Theory is based on facts.

David T

Premium Member

Do you understand it?
Which understanding? Its a multiple choice question.

Personally i check the least checked none of the above and retire to listen to trees. They dont seem to have this issue. Neither does my daughter.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Trinity > History of Trinitarian Doctrines (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

What we have here is first of all a factual history of the Trinity showing that no its not taught from 'The Bible'. We also have a Bible that is a library, not a book. Thirdly what we have is a trinitarian viewpoint which recognizes that the trinity is philosophically discovered in 2nd and 3rd century, does not appear in canon. Fourth a trinitarian should not beat people over the head with a Bible and say "You should have figured out the trinity by reading the Bible." That would be very mean and rude, and it would put a lot of pressure on people to see things that weren't there, the result of which would be confusion. In fact it would possibly promote a confused and distorted version of trinitarian doctrine.

"...Although early Christian theologians speculated in many ways on the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, no one clearly and fully asserted the doctrine of the Trinity as explained at the top of the main entry until around the end of the so-called Arian Controversy...." from the above.

"...Justin Martyr (d. ca. 165) describes the origin of the logos (= the pre-human Jesus) from God using three metaphors (light from the sun, fire from fire, speaker and his speech), each of which is found in either Philo or Numenius (Gaston 2007, 53). Accepting the Philonic thesis that Plato and other Greek philosophers received their wisdom from Moses, he holds that Plato in his dialogue Timaeus discussed the Son (logos), as, Justin says, “the power next to the first God”. And in Plato's second letter, Justin finds a mention of a third, the Holy Spirit..."

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the important thing is not getting it formulated properly but just learning to put up with people who don't agree about it. How can that happen, though, if everybody keeps beating their fellow Christians with bibles? Lets have a little bit of cheer. Lets go door to door not criticizing and proselytizing but instead getting to know people. Lets break out the big loaf of bread and the full bottle of wine and really feed some people. How about if we have a century of drunken fellowship? That might be 10x better than what we have what with everybody being all about getting doctrines right and have made them all worse as a result.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you understand it?

It has been explained in detail by Baha'u'llah and that has cleared up a lot of misunderstandings.

The sun and the mirrors being the best metephor to explain the connection of God with His Manifeatations.

God, like the Sun, sends the rays, like the Holy Spirit, to His Chosen Messenger, like a perfect polished mirror.

Thus the Messenger, who is that perfect Reflection, is all we can know of God, they are the 'Self of God' for us to see in this material world.

Christ means 'Annointed One', thus it is via the name Christ that we can come to know all Gods Messengers by. Christ is how all Gods Messengers are the One and same Holy Spirit.

The name of the Mirror changes from Age to Age, but it is the 'Self of God' is reflected in and from each Mirror.

Thus Noah, Abraham, Krishna, Moses, Zoroaster, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Bab and Baha'u'llah are some of the Perfect Mirrors of the 'Self of God' that have walked amongst us and given us a Message from God.

Regards Tony

LightofTruth

Do you understand it?
Your version of trinity differs greatly from what is called 'orthodox' Trinitarianism.
However, you're not alone, there are many different definitions of trinity out there.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your version of trinity differs greatly from what is called 'orthodox' Trinitarianism.
However, you're not alone, there are many different definitions of trinity out there.

Some just like clouds. Rising vapor, that when accumulated, blocks and darkens the Sun from shining.

Regards Tony

TrueBeliever37

Do you understand it?

No, the Trinity makes no sense. It was never taught by the apostles. And you can't exist and not exist at the same time - it makes no sense.

LightofTruth

Some just like clouds. Rising vapor, that when accumulated, blocks and darkens the Sun from shining.

Regards Tony
Another version of Trinitarianism thinks three persons in one God amounts to three gods. So, they rather think of the trinity as three aspects rather than persons.
Orthodox Trinitarians see modalism as heresy..it's really a mess!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's been so many threads on the Trinity over the last several weeks that's it's gone beyond my ability to count.

Anyhow, the Trinitarian concept is best understood after one understands the concept of "essence", so please read this: Essence - Wikipedia

Now, is his concept correct? I haven't a clue, but it is what it is.

night912

Do you understand it?
What's the difference between the human soul and the human spirit?

Curious George

Veteran Member

Do you understand it?
No this isn't right. The trinity=3 avatars one guy playing with the skill to do so simultaneously. The catholic church once said that the trinity was a mystery, that was because they didn't have video games.

night912

Do you understand it?
Then this would mean that the trinity is a contradiction. Jesus cannot be a god and a human at the same time.

Bit if you insist on saying that Jesus was god, then you have a new and bigger problem(s). I'll spare the accusations of this being a trap and explain right off the bat. Going with your explanation and the story of the bible, if Jesus is god like you claim, god/Jesus never sacrificed himself for humanity. But if you want to go even further, then if Jesus is god, then that would mean that the resurrection of Jesus never happened. Since god cannot die, and Jesus is god, then Jesus was never dead to begin with. So that would mean that god/Jesus lied and faked his death.

LightofTruth

Then this would mean that the trinity is a contradiction. Jesus cannot be a god and a human at the same time.

Bit if you insist on saying that Jesus was god, then you have a new and bigger problem(s). I'll spare the accusations of this being a trap and explain right off the bat. Going with your explanation and the story of the bible, if Jesus is god like you claim, god/Jesus never sacrificed himself for humanity. But if you want to go even further, then if Jesus is god, then that would mean that the resurrection of Jesus never happened. Since god cannot die, and Jesus is god, then Jesus was never dead to begin with. So that would mean that god/Jesus lied and faked his death.
If Jesus didn't die then he could not be resurrected from the dead. And if he wasn't resurrected from the dead then there is no resurrection from the dead and Christians have no hope.
If the Word is the Son in the sense that Trinitarians teach then the Word or Son could never die.
This necessarily leads to the conclusion that it was only the flesh that died and not the Son. The flesh is NOT a WHO but a WHAT. So the WHO, the Son never died only a WHAT that the WHO took upon died.

To be Trinitarian is to deny the death, burial, and resurrection of the WHO, Jesus Christ.

You can't blame anyone but yourself if you fall for their antiChrist teaching.

LightofTruth

What's the difference between the human soul and the human spirit?
The Scripture teaches that animals are living souls too and have the same spirit (breath of life) that man has. The only difference is that man, in covenant with God, can be resurrected from the dead

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @calm :

In the opening post you mention that "We humans consist of a body, a soul and a spirit." (post #1)

Can you define what you are calling the "soul"? It is easy to tell what a body is, and what the spirit was in early Judeo-Christian vernacular but I am not sure what you are calling "the soul". Can you clarify? Thanks in advance.

Clear
τωσιδρω