• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you trust God to guide you and help you?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I want to share a story that is related to trusting God. I just found out yesterday that our house is paid off. I did not know when it would be paid off and it is a long sad story why I did not know. I could have found out with a simple phone call to the bank, but I did not want to know, and that is another long story as to why. I am still in disbelief because even though I had projected that it should be paid off at any time I really had no way of knowing since I was not even sure when the loan term was over, since I never even looked at one mortgage statement in the 10 years since we purchased the house. I was simply going on memory of when we took the loan out, and hoping it was a 10 year loan as I remembered.

I know what people reading this are probably thinking, what a way to live, never planning anything, but that is how I live, one day at a time. I do what I have to do in the day I am in and I take care of anything that is time sensitive, but I never think about the future. I trust God will guide me and help me to do what I need to do when I need to do it.

Anyhow, we are now debt free and we own all three of our houses free and clear and we have no other debts, since we have never used credit cards and we have old used cars that are 20 and 34 years old. :D

I should be happy but I am still in a state of shock because I live according to Murphy’s Law. My husband asked why I did not want to look at the letter from the bank but after I saw the QC Deed, I just stuffed it back in the envelope and told him I will deal with it on Monday, but I will probably put it off till I get the courage.

It is not as if we have no other problems just because we are set financially as there is more to life than material wealth, but I am very grateful for everything we have. It certainly did not come without much perseverance and many struggles so I do not know why I feel I do not deserve it, but I do feel that way.

I posted this in the Religious Debates forum because it is related to my trusting God that this would work out. Even though I had not stayed on top of the situation, I always paid that mortgage and even added a lot of money to the payment last year in hopes of getting it paid off sooner. We have never been late on one mortgage payment in all the years of home ownership, and we have never been late paying any other bills since we never lived beyond our means.

I have a long history of not loving or trusting God, but that has improved over time. One thing that helps me a whole lot is listening to Christian radio all day long, as Christians tend to trust God a lot more than other believers I have seen. Not to knock my own religion, but I really like the strong faith that Christians have and that is why I like to listen to their songs, because they help me realize it is possible to love and trust God and that is in my best interest. Music can be very powerful.

So what does your religion teach about trusting God, or if you are a believer with no religion how do you feel about trusting God? Do you trust God to guide you and help you with things that are difficult for you to manage alone? Do you believe that God will help you or do you believe that you are on your own to manage everything by yourself?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I want to share a story that is related to trusting God. I just found out yesterday that our house is paid off. I did not know when it would be paid off and it is a long sad story why I did not know. I could have found out with a simple phone call to the bank, but I did not want to know, and that is another long story as to why. I am still in disbelief because even though I had projected that it should be paid off at any time I really had no way of knowing since I was not even sure when the loan term was over, since I never even looked at one mortgage statement in the 10 years since we purchased the house. I was simply going on memory of when we took the loan out, and hoping it was a 10 year loan as I remembered.

I know what people reading this are probably thinking, what a way to live, never planning anything, but that is how I live, one day at a time. I do what I have to do in the day I am in and I take care of anything that is time sensitive, but I never think about the future. I trust God will guide me and help me to do what I need to do when I need to do it.

Anyhow, we are now debt free and we own all three of our houses free and clear and we have no other debts, since we have never used credit cards and we have old used cars that are 20 and 34 years old. :D

I should be happy but I am still in a state of shock because I live according to Murphy’s Law. My husband asked why I did not want to look at the letter from the bank but after I saw the QC Deed, I just stuffed it back in the envelope and told him I will deal with it on Monday, but I will probably put it off till I get the courage.

It is not as if we have no other problems just because we are set financially as there is more to life than material wealth, but I am very grateful for everything we have. It certainly did not come without much perseverance and many struggles so I do not know why I feel I do not deserve it, but I do feel that way.

I posted this in the Religious Debates forum because it is related to my trusting God that this would work out. Even though I had not stayed on top of the situation, I always paid that mortgage and even added a lot of money to the payment last year in hopes of getting it paid off sooner. We have never been late on one mortgage payment in all the years of home ownership, and we have never been late paying any other bills since we never lived beyond our means.

I have a long history of not loving or trusting God, but that has improved over time. One thing that helps me a whole lot is listening to Christian radio all day long, as Christians tend to trust God a lot more than other believers I have seen. Not to knock my own religion, but I really like the strong faith that Christians have and that is why I like to listen to their songs, because they help me realize it is possible to love and trust God and that is in my best interest. Music can be very powerful.

So what does your religion teach about trusting God, or if you are a believer with no religion how do you feel about trusting God? Do you trust God to guide you and help you with things that are difficult for you to manage alone? Do you believe that God will help you or do you believe that you are on your own to manage everything by yourself?
As a Falun Gong practitioner i do not see God in the same way you describe it:) but it is up to my self to create the outcome of my future. With this i mean, what i chose to do today will give a result tomorrow (or later). So i could ask my teacher to fix my problems, but that would not help me. Because i am the one who must go through life and face my own problems, if my teacher took away all my difficulty i would not be able to become a better person.
I know that my teacher would tell me to study the Fa (teaching) more to realize for my self where i need to cultivate more to get a better life.

So Falun Gong is a path of self Cultivation to realize the truth in my own life, the teaching is my guide, but it is only up to my self to gain the wisdom. My teacher has given me the tools to cultivate but i am the one who must do all the "dirty work" my self :)

CG Didymus

Veteran Member

I don't suppose you've been to a Pentecostal healing service? Maybe you've seen one on TV? "Do you believe you're healed?" "Yes." Then they go home throw away their medication and die. Or, there was a missionary, I think they made a movie about him, he went off to the jungle to "spread" the Word of the Lord. The natives killed him. That's probably not what he was thinking would happen when he "put" it in God's hands. Then there is the "collection" of tithes and offerings. "Dig deep into your pockets and help this ministry. And trust that the Lord will meet your needs." They always have testimonials, "I gave my whole paycheck to the Lord, and Lo and behold... the next day there was a bag of groceries on the front porch. And said, Thank you Jesus, now I can feed my kids. Oh and Lord, what about gas in my car and money for the rent?" No, he doesn't say that because that would show doubt.

But then... there's the other problem. Do we believe those Christians have a true understanding of who God is? I don't think we do. So, they are putting their faith and trust in a make believe God.

But, for Baha'is I heard that Abdul Baha said to walk the mystical path with practical feet. But I did have a Baha'i friend that divorced his wife, left his job to go pioneering to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean... and it wasn't Hawaii or Tahiti. That's the extreme of expectation for a Baha'i I would think... give up your home, your wife and job and put all your trust in God and go off to some foreign place. Not all Baha'is do that. Are they holding back from trusting God completely? So where do you draw the line of "trusting" God?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So what does your religion teach about trusting God

Truly trusting in God is no joke. Meher Baba's Song of the New Life contains these two verses which for me lay bare that truly trusting in God means that the trust is still there even if everything apparently falls apart. I'm far from being able to do this, but it is my goal. ("hopelessness" here to me is not an emotion but living in the present and not hoping for something to happen in the future. It is fully living in the active present).

We have taken to this life, in which we rely only on God;
In this, our will (to do or die) is strengthened by the oath taken;
We merrily sing the song of hopelessness;
We invite all calamities and difficulties.
"Even if the heavens fall,
Do not let go the Hand of Truth;
Let despair and disappointment ravage and destroy the garden of your life,
Beautify it once again by the seedlings of contentment and self-sufficiency.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, but not really in such materialistic ways. When I'm suffering, I know He's there and understands what it is to suffer. I pray to Him to take malice from my heart. But He has sent people to help me when I needed basic needs like food and housing. He sent help with food just a few days ago.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As a Falun Gong practitioner i do not see God in the same way you describe it:) but it is up to my self to create the outcome of my future. With this i mean, what i chose to do today will give a result tomorrow (or later). So i could ask my teacher to fix my problems, but that would not help me. Because i am the one who must go through life and face my own problems, if my teacher took away all my difficulty i would not be able to become a better person.
Maybe you have a misunderstanding about what I expect from God. I do not expect God to fix all my problems, not by a long-shot. I believe I have free will to choose and make decisions, but I believe I get guidance from God and perhaps help, and this is at God's discretion. I am the one who has to go through life and face my problems, and that is how I become a better person, but I believe that sometimes God can help me with those problems by putting other people in my life at the times I need them, or perhaps God arranges circumstances that help me deal with what I need to do. I do not really know what God does, it is a matter of faith.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe you have a misunderstanding about what I expect from God. I do not expect God to fix all my problems, not by a long-shot. I believe I have free will to choose and make decisions, but I believe I get guidance from God and perhaps help, and this is at God's discretion. I am the one who has to go through life and face my problems, and that is how I become a better person, but I believe that sometimes God can help me with those problems by putting other people in my life at the times I need them, or perhaps God arranges circumstances that help me deal with what I need to do. I do not really know what God does, it is a matter of faith.
I can't say i understand always what baha'i stand for or teaching:) but i think the different between your understanding of God being the one guide you, and that i believe it is the teaching that guide us not a God directly :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But then... there's the other problem. Do we believe those Christians have a true understanding of who God is? I don't think we do. So, they are putting their faith and trust in a make believe God.
It does not matter to me if they do have a true understanding of who God is, I can still learn fro them about having faith in God. I cannot say what the repercussions are of them believing Jesus is God rather than realizing Jesus is a Manifestation of God, only God knows what anyone's fate will be.
But, for Baha'is I heard that Abdul Baha said to walk the mystical path with practical feet. But I did have a Baha'i friend that divorced his wife, left his job to go pioneering to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean... and it wasn't Hawaii or Tahiti. That's the extreme of expectation for a Baha'i I would think... give up your home, your wife and job and put all your trust in God and go off to some foreign place. Not all Baha'is do that. Are they holding back from trusting God completely? So where do you draw the line of "trusting" God?
Different Baha'is are wiling to take on different levels of sacrifice and we all have to draw our own lines as to how and how much we will trust God, as that is a very personal thing.

I do not think that is congruent with the Baha'i teachings for your friend to divorce his wife just to go pioneering, but maybe he was already headed for a divorce. The only legitimate reason to get a divorce in the Baha'i Faith is if one partner has an aversion for the other. That has saved me from a divorce more than once, but of course I take the Baha'i teachings seriously, so I would never for example ever get a divorce because of sexual difficulties or because he would not get a better job.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Truly trusting in God is no joke. Meher Baba's Song of the New Life contains these two verses which for me lay bare that truly trusting in God means that the trust is still there even if everything apparently falls apart. I'm far from being able to do this, but it is my goal.
I like what Meher Baba said and it is essentially what my religion teaches. We are to trust in God no matter what.

I am also far from being able to do this but I am getting closer. At least when things fall apart I am not angry at God for as long as I used to be, and sometimes now I am only angry at myself. :mad:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Sorry - what does your story have to do with trusting God?

I mean...

- you had a mortgage
- you diligently made your payments
- you paid off your mortgage

Good for your for your perseverance, but I don't see where God enters into this. I mean, it's not like you're saying that you missed a few payments but God took care of them for you, right?

And BTW: the options aren't "trust in God" and "manage everything on your own." Whether you trust in God or not, we all rely on the help of other people (and we help others in turn).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can't say i understand always what baha'i stand for or teaching:) but i think the different between your understanding of God being the one guide you, and that i believe it is the teaching that guide us not a God directly :)
I do not know that there is a Baha'i teaching on this one way or another, i think it is rather personal preference as to how we relate to God. I used to believe more like you do, that God was completely hands-off but owing to some things that have happened in my life that have no other explanation, I choose to believe that God did help me.

Unfortunately, or maybe not, God waits till my darkest hour to come to the rescue and it never has to do with a specific prayer I said in a cry for help, although I do often go running around the house saying "God help me, Jesus help me!" a lot of the time.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry - what does your story have to do with trusting God?

I mean...

- you had a mortgage
- you diligently made your payments
- you paid off your mortgage

Good for your for your perseverance, but I don't see where God enters into this. I mean, it's not like you're saying that you missed a few payments but God took care of them for you, right?
Allow me to explain. When I say I trusted in God I meant that whatever happened would have been something I would have been able to handle, even if it had turned out differently, so I would accept whatever was God's will for me even if I did not like it. This gets into fate and predestination, so if it had been predestined that I had remembered wrong and I actually had a 15 year mortgage, there would have been no way for me to change that and I would have to make the necessary adjustments. I was prepared to do that even though I was almost certain the mortgage was a 10 year. Another thing is that since I trusted in God I did not feel a need to control the situation by checking with the bank. I just let things unfold as they did.
And BTW: the options aren't "trust in God" and "manage everything on your own." Whether you trust in God or not, we all rely on the help of other people (and we help others in turn).
That is true. We always have to rely upon ourselves and other people, I just tend to believe that God works through other people who help us when we really need them. I would probably be dead by now if there were not good people in the world.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I do not know that there is a Baha'i teaching on this one way or another, i think it is rather personal preference as to how we relate to God. I used to believe more like you do, that God was completely hands-off but owing to some things that have happened in my life that have no other explanation, I choose to believe that God did help me.

Unfortunately, or maybe not, God waits till my darkest hour to come to the rescue and it never has to do with a specific prayer I said in a cry for help, although I do often go running around the house saying "God help me, Jesus help me!" a lot of the time.
But not "Baha'u'llah, help me!"? ;):p

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What does paying off mortgage on time have to do with trusting God? God did not pay the mortgage on time. You did. You paid off the loan on time. God did nothing whatsoever as far as I can see.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You obviously did something right.

While I don't believe in God or anything like that, I certainly would say that would be a miraculous moment what's your realize your debt is under control and even eliminated for the most part.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You obviously did something right.

While I don't believe in God or anything like that, I certainly would say that would be a miraculous moment what's your realize your debt is under control and even eliminated for the most part.
Yes, I am debt free and it was a miraculous moment, as even though I knew it was coming, I did not know when.
I am still in a state of shock when I think about it, because I never believe I can do anything right. :(

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I trust my Holy Father, seeing I am living consciously as a human...and know that I only own personally a human being baby to adult life....and not lie about it.

I know that as I live 2 human being parents, own their own 2 separate bodies, human and 2 separate lives, and they had sex.

I also know that one day both of them die....so they taught my life as a human baby that one day I will also die.

And that human review is applied self living experience.....and that experience is the real experience that you cannot argue against.

Yet lots of humans do...argue.

And the argument is about creation stories and multi themes that relate to statements for science, about science.....and yet science can tell stories for multi purposes...……….

1. medical science body awareness to assist living humans harmed.
2. stories for teaching purposes about natural life and how to care for it.
3. stories for the building of invention/technology and then resourcing for the invention that attacked our life.
4. The teaching self awareness that invention is only purposeful when it does as little harm to natural life, hence by its invention is owner of the consideration applied by its inventor.

To realize that not a lot of inventors showed or applied true care to any natural status that supports our health and wellbeing on a planet that is natural, owns natural and supports natural.

And if we keep changing it into unnatural changes, we will not own any life.

So then I realized that this self human realization owned a teaching purpose against groups of humans who own self destructive ideal...and care less about natural or life surviving.

What the experience and teaching is in life.

For life is after all naturally first and originally very spiritual and innocent. The Nature of our life is totally supportive.

Humans however condition their own selves to cult group coercive behaviours and it is about time that they learn the situation of learning is just factually a basic learning about how to keep life and self safe from other humans who demonstrate and act out human self destructive choices against us.