• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you torture yourself?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you are all well & enjoying your time with us here at the forum!

I made this search after having trouble accessing one of my favourite sites ...

Anyway Here are a few ways in which people torture themselves {and hopefully how to stop!} -

When we were young, we learned to internalize the messages that behaviors of others around us seemed to communicate. These messages eventually cemented themselves as rules and dogmas that we mindlessly follow later on in life. They torture our sense of well-being and impede our attempts to get our adult needs met. We unconsciously become tyrants to ourselves. We cause the stress and tension that break down our bodies. We separate ourselves from reality. We become isolated from others.

The tyrant works through the inner voices in our heads. He drives us to act counter to our developing values and perception of reality.

Below are the ways of which these voices manifest themselves, acting as road blocks in different aspects of our lives. If these words came from somebody we knew, we’d stay away from that person as far as possible. Yet these voices are trying to protect us, albeit from dangers that no longer exist. They were coded into our emotional responses when we were very young. If we never fully put those perceptions to the test, those voices haunt us.

Read the full-list of ten here -

10 Tyrannies That We Torture Ourselves With

Looks a great site from first impressions IMHO.

Wishing you all the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Ironic?

Now that I post it ... the other site is suddenly available to read -

Activate your observer self and listen to what it is saying as if you are hearing it on the radio. Recognize that this is an old tape repeating the criticism of society and the people who raised you to ensure your emotional and physical safety. It is running on autopilot.

Read the rest here -

Silencing Your Inner Critic & Growing Without Self-Torture

Wishing you all the best!

A Vestigial Mote

A few on the list I can identify with. Mostly dealing with the "fear" of failure or inability to perform to the level I want to on particular tasks. Tasks that I am positive I could do, but just don't have much experience in. I hesitate to call it "fear" - because it's more just that it is easier/more-comfortable not to start in on the process of try/fail/re-try. I don't "fear" it - I simply know it to many times be arduous and time-consuming. And if I don't truly "love" what I am doing, it makes it even worse. Some might still call that "fear" of a sort, I suppose.

Most of them do not resonate with me though. Things like the "urgency," "should," "worst-case," "outcome," "comparison," "fairness," "unconditional love." I can honestly say I don't have problems under those descriptions.