• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think your religion is the only true way

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Gnosticism most clearly was considered and talked about historically as part of Christianity by scholars.

originating in Jewish-Christian milieux in the first and second century AD

That doesn't make them Christian as Christian is commonly understood or as you have defined the term. Moreover, Mandaeanism and Manichaeism are arguably closer to the Persian religious tradition. And many Gnostic sects clearly owe a fair bit to Neoplatonism. So I'm not sure it's quite as straightforward as that.

The challenge with this all however is that not all sects of Christianity that were called Gnostic believed in things like the Demiurge as creator of the material world.

Perhaps not. But a fair few, perhaps even the majority did.

Did Valentinus believe that? I'm not sure of that.

I believe Valentinus did have a place for the Demiurge in his system.

Do you have direct, mystical experiences, or are your beliefs arrived at through rational and intellectual processes?

Both.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I agree to that, and one of the truths is to allow other people to do it their way, without trying to frighten anyone of God's (imaginary in my case) displeasure and eternal hell.

KelseyR

The eternal optimist!
Only one belief class can be right. That's basic reasoning. My studies show that all current beliefs (including non-religions) can only offer 10% perceptual ascendance. This is ostensibly because they promote inferior proving systems that are incapable of discerning the truth.

Last edited:

Neutral Name

Do you think your religion is the only true way or there are multiple paths?

Just thought I'd post the question without prejudicing it.

Well, I would say spirituality, not religion. I don't believe in religions but I do believe in a higher power. In reality, you only have a few choices. You can believe that there is/are some sort of higher power(s) or that there aren't or that maybe there are or aren't (you're not sure). Then you break it down by more specifically what you believe. If you do believe in a higher power, what type? If you don't, absolutely not or there might be.

Neutral Name

Only one belief class can be right. That's basic reasoning. My studies show that all current beliefs (including non-religions) can only offer 10% perceptual ascendance. This is ostensibly because they promote inferior proving systems that are incapable of discerning the truth.

The truth can never be discerned. No matter how advanced we become spiritually, scientifically, socially or intellectually, we will never know everything. However, one day we will know more than we do now unless we go into another dark age, kill the world environmentally so that it is uninhabitable or do something else to prevent our advancement.

Neutral Name

I think that there are multiple paths but I think that some paths do not necessarily lead to the truth. Also, each belief has some truth but not all.

Beard-A-Bear

I'm of the belief that the Gods manifest themselves in different ways to different cultures, people, etc. So, no, I don't think mine is the "one true path". I see most paths as valid, different ways to approach the Divine. Most paths lead up the same mountain and all that.