• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Think You Would Regret.....

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
roli said:
On another note ,without my preaching to you,why is it specifically that you chose not to serve Christ and trust him for salvation

Because I don't believe it's the truth. I have tried to experience it as the truth in the past, but after a long time I realized that it wasn't, and I've been making my way through looking for exactly what that truth is since then. And, I think that I am getting closer to finding it.

I realize that you're not going to agree with me, but you asked why, and that's my answer.

jmaster78

to extend on my last point, how can there be so much diversity amongst christians with regards to the one and only object of their faith, the bible! i still don't get how some can view it as the absolute word of god, and others view it as an interpretation. ie some say there is a place called heaven out there in the yonder, while others say it is inside us. some say god will judge us according to a strict compliance check list, others say we will be judged individually according to how we judged others. there is no consistency with christianity, that may be why it is confusing to non-christians, it's like two different religions from two completely different bibles!

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
joeboonda said:
The Fall was a horrible thing, for with sin came death, and with sin and death came all manner of terrible things on all creation. The wages of sin is death.

Umm, it was my understanding that A&E would have had to eat from the Tree of Life to gain immortality and not die, which is why God cast them out of the garden to begin with, so they wouldn't eat from that tree and become immortal.

jmaster78 said:
if that is the case then why all the friction between christians, jews, and muslims? surely they are three versions of the same message, just different ways of telling it!

Ah, but while the basic message and the God are the same, their beliefs differ on so much of the small stuff - don't eat pork, pork's okay, circumsicion, no circumsicion, marriage laws, etc - that they just can't agree. Most of them see their holy books as literal fact, but disagreement in its interpretation still runs rampant.

Those Christian/muslims/jews who consider the sacred texts to be guidelines rather that rigid laws tend to be far more open than hidebound traditionalists.

jmaster78

CelticRavenwolf said:
Umm, it was my understanding that A&E would have had to eat from the Tree of Life to gain immortality and not die, which is why God cast them out of the garden to begin with, so they wouldn't eat from that tree and become immortal.

Ah, but while the basic message and the God are the same, their beliefs differ on so much of the small stuff - don't eat pork, pork's okay, circumsicion, no circumsicion, marriage laws, etc - that they just can't agree. Most of them see their holy books as literal fact, but disagreement in its interpretation still runs rampant.

Those Christian/muslims/jews who consider the sacred texts to be guidelines rather that rigid laws tend to be far more open than hidebound traditionalists.

it is strange that something different people are so adamant about, can be interpreted completely differently. ps. nice signature!

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
jmaster78 said:
i don't get it! if you look at things from a christian point of view, would a god of peace, love and FORGIVENESS really dish out the ultimate punishment for eternity? he expects us to forgive others, yet refuses to forgive us? what ever happened to 'practice what you preach'?

The payment for our sins was upon Jesus at the cross, when we accept by faith ,believe and receive him and his sacrifice and make him lord(master) of our lives we are saved from the penalty and power of sin .
That simple ,faith is easy for us to operate in for every aspect of our lives ,except when it comes to trusting Christ

wicca_woman

831...J&J
no - i would not regret what i have done . All of thse "GODS" we seek are to be loving and understanding Gods , then it should not matter that we worshiped "this one or that one " it is more about HOW WE LIVED OUR LIVES . were we good people , honest , helpful to others ? that is what will count...

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
jmaster78 said:
to extend on my last point, how can there be so much diversity amongst christians with regards to the one and only object of their faith, the bible! i still don't get how some can view it as the absolute word of god, and others view it as an interpretation. ie some say there is a place called heaven out there in the yonder, while others say it is inside us. some say god will judge us according to a strict compliance check list, others say we will be judged individually according to how we judged others. there is no consistency with christianity, that may be why it is confusing to non-christians, it's like two different religions from two completely different bibles!

Anyone who makes the Bible the object of their faith would be an idolator, not a Christian, so I don't think you mean that. The object of our faith is God the Holy Trinity. You probably actually meant the basis of our faith, but that attitude you describe is a relatively recent one (only about 500 years old) invented by the Reformers and is known as sola scriptura (Scripture alone in Latin). The vast majority of Christians reject that idea completely, even some Protestants and so your understanding is completely flawed. For those of us who do reject the idea (1.1 billion RCs, 250 million Orthodox and I don't know how many OOs, Anglicans and Mormons), the Bible is not the basis of our faith and never was. I'm not quite sure of the attitude in the latter two churches, but for us, the RCs and OOs, Scripture is simply the most important part of the Holy Tradition handed down from the Apostles as recorded by the Church. The Church precedes the Bible and is founded on the Incarnate Son of God, not the Bible. It's your assumption that all Christians are sola scripturalist Protestants that appears to be causing you problems.

James

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
wicca_woman said:
no - i would not regret what i have done . All of thse "GODS" we seek are to be loving and understanding Gods , then it should not matter that we worshiped "this one or that one " it is more about HOW WE LIVED OUR LIVES . were we good people , honest , helpful to others ? that is what will count...

Ther are however many different gods that are inanimate,figments of imaginations, mysterious and unknown to the seeker.
Jesus Christ is alive and the same yesterday today and forever,for those who would call on him,believe and receive him.

He reveals himself to the believer through his Holy Spirit

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
roli said:
Ther are however many different gods that are inanimate,figments of imaginations, mysterious and unknown to the seeker.
Jesus Christ is alive and the same yesterday today and forever,for those who would call on him,believe and receive him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if it turned out that the Christian God was the one true God afterall, and he rejected me based on the spiritual path that I chose and not how I treated my fellow people, I would not want the blessings of such a god anyway.

Are people who launch their own personal Crusades, who kill in the name of God, who destroy cultures in the name of God, who honestly believe that they perform God's will, are they truly more deserving of God's graces than a person who feeds the hungry, heals the sick, or helps an old lady across the street simply because they truly believed?

Lol, and I can't think of anyone who, after dying suddenly appears before the Christian God, wouldn't say "****, really? Okay, I guess I was wrong after all. Who knew?" But if God expects people to grovel and apologize and beg forgiveness, then yeah, he might be punting a few Lucifer's way!

In the words of Rowan Atkinson as the devil in hell:

"Christians! Are you here? Yes, terribly sorry, but the Jews were right."

Draka

Wonder Woman
roli said:

How in the world can you claim that any other gods are unknown to the seeker? You have not seeked them out so you would not know. You want to believe that they are "figments of imaginations" so you can go on believing that your choice of deity is the only "real" one. Fact is, you cannot prove yours any more valid than anyone else's. You have put all your stock into a book that man has written with no outside facts to back it up. You are flying on your faith alone and are expecting everyone else to just buy into that faith and deny their own.

Pathways

joeboonda

CelticRavenwolf said:

It was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, not the Tree of Life. God told Adam and Eve the day they ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil they would die. And they did die, spiritually, and they began to die physically. Before this first sin, there was no death. The wages of sin is death. This is an important spiritual law. Romans says Adam passed down this sinful nature and this condition of spiritual deadness toward God to all men. The wages of sin is death, passed down by one man, Adam, but Christ paid the wages of sin, He died, so by one man, Christ, all who trust that His death was sufficient to pay for all the sin of all the world once and for all, are saved. Simply by depending on Christ's death to have paid for our sin, we are saved, our spirits, once dead toward God are now made alive toward God, we are born again, spiritually. As to the difference between Judaism, Islam and Christianity, Judaism and Islam are religions with rules and such, the members trying to earn salvation by their own works (which the Bible says are filty rags to a Holy God), by their own goodness, or self-righteousness, which will get no man to Heaven. Christianity is different in that, unlike Judaism and Islam, who do not believe Jesus is the Son of God who came to die to pay for our sins (the wages of sin is death), despite the thousands of prophecies about Jesus and His death in the Old Testament, Christianity recognizes that God did indeed send His only Son, who knew no sin, to be sin for us, while we were yet sinners, the righteous dying for the unrighteous, that we may be reconciled to God. This is the great love of God, we were born in an unfortunate condition, yet God sent His Son to die for us to pay the wages of sin, so we would not have to and He paid for all our sins, and gave us His righteousness in place of our own as a totally free gift, we receive simply by trusting in Him.

jmaster78

Draka said:
How in the world can you claim that any other gods are unknown to the seeker? You have not seeked them out so you would not know. You want to believe that they are "figments of imaginations" so you can go on believing that your choice of deity is the only "real" one. Fact is, you cannot prove yours any more valid than anyone else's. You have put all your stock into a book that man has written with no outside facts to back it up. You are flying on your faith alone and are expecting everyone else to just buy into that faith and deny their own.

Pathways

i was just about to say the exact same thing! but u got there first and said it better so:clap:clap:clap:clap

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jmaster78 said:
if that is the case then why all the friction between christians, jews, and muslims? surely they are three versions of the same message, just different ways of telling it!
But it's not friction between all Christians and all Jews and all Muslims. Within these traditions there are people who take it as literally true and people who take it as mytically true (for lack of a better word). The friction is between the people who take it literally true. Lots of Jews, Christians, and Muslims believe that their traditions are indeed three ways of telling the same message.

jmaster78

lilithu said:
But it's not friction between all Christians and all Jews and all Muslims. Within these traditions there are people who take it as literally true and people who take it as mytically true (for lack of a better word). The friction is between the people who take it literally true. Lots of Jews, Christians, and Muslims believe that their traditions are indeed three ways of telling the same message.

it is true and great that there are christians, Jews, and muslims who can get along together, who can sit down and chat as friends like on RF (most of the time), it shows a glimmer of hope in the world. what confuses me is that there are such diversities in the attitude of people from the same faith, ranging from those who see it as mythically true as you put it, who are comfortable and content with variations in how people worship G-D, and those who hang on every word so vigorously, as to be offended by any deviation from the set standard of worship. This applies to all three faiths. truely there are extremists on all sides!

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
zombieharlot said:
I can't even understand the different points of view of my fellow men and women. How can I be expected to understand the point of view that a more complex, supreme being holds?

You can make your point, but don't indirectly belittle my knowledge and understanding of things and talk to my like a six year old.

And telling people that they're ignorant isn't going to help either. But anyway, yes! There are things I wouldn't want God to see me do, just as you have things you wouldn't want God to see you do, and just as Adam and Eve didn't want God to see them naked. "For all hath sinned and fall short of the glory of God," right?

No, it isn't possible. I cross-dress.:flirt: :curtsy:

Yes, and yes.

:rolleyes: Why is it that Christians always seem to ignore me after I speak a little? Am I not worth it?

Draka

Wonder Woman
zombieharlot said:
:rolleyes: Why is it that Christians always seem to ignore me after I speak a little? Am I not worth it?

Aww, zombie, don't feel alone :hug: . No one made one peep about my earlier post responding to the OP. I figure it this way...certain people are just too darn afraid to touch what we've said. ;) They know what will happen...:ko:

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Draka said:
Aww, zombie, don't feel alone :hug: . No one made one peep about my earlier post responding to the OP. I figure it this way...certain people are just too darn afraid to touch what we've said. ;) They know what will happen...:ko:

Heheh. Yeh, but I actually had a little conversation building up. And then...nothing. But maybe you're right...:ko:

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
CelticRavenwolf said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if it turned out that the Christian God was the one true God afterall, and he rejected me based on the spiritual path that I chose and not how I treated my fellow people, I would not want the blessings of such a god anyway.

Are people who launch their own personal Crusades, who kill in the name of God, who destroy cultures in the name of God, who honestly believe that they perform God's will, are they truly more deserving of God's graces than a person who feeds the hungry, heals the sick, or helps an old lady across the street simply because they truly believed?

Lol, and I can't think of anyone who, after dying suddenly appears before the Christian God, wouldn't say "****, really? Okay, I guess I was wrong after all. Who knew?" But if God expects people to grovel and apologize and beg forgiveness, then yeah, he might be punting a few Lucifer's way!

In the words of Rowan Atkinson as the devil in hell:

"Christians! Are you here? Yes, terribly sorry, but the Jews were right."

It won't be so much the path that you took as will it be the path (Jesus) you did'nt take and why.
There is much in scripture regarding what the outcome is to those who reject Jesus in this life
There will be no excuse for all that is known of God is already in everyone of us Romans 1
I believe many refuse to follow Jesus because of what pleasures and indulgences they will have to give up
No one will rebut God or demand an explaination as to why ,I think at that point we will all know where we went wrong ,why

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
roli said:
It won't be so much the path that you took as will it be the path (Jesus) you did'nt take and why.
There is much in scripture regarding what the outcome is to those who reject Jesus in this life
There will be no excuse for all that is known of God is already in everyone of us Romans 1
I believe many refuse to follow Jesus because of what pleasures and indulgences they will have to give up
No one will rebut God or demand an explaination as to why ,I think at that point we will all know where we went wrong ,why

That's ok. :) We all make our own decisions, and follow the paths we think are right, and the ones that bring us the most happiness. Maybe after we die we'll face some sort of consequence for out choices.
Really, people who are not Christians already aren't going to agree with you no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Why not just accept them just as the way they are?