• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Think You Would Regret.....

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
If you did stand before God the moment you leave this life ,"Do You think you would regret the fact that you spent your life pursuing logic,reason,emperical evidence,refuting the christian theological doctrines ,evidence,historical/geographical studies,the bible,Jesus ,God Heaven,Judgement,hell punishment.
Or would you continue to refute ,justify,excuse yourself before God.
Would you blame God for not following after him because of the hypocracy,all the denominations,the conflict between the christian community,the atrocities of historical religion and so on.......

Or would you be regretful,humble and ashamed that you made the wrong choices.
Would you at that point beg for mercy,or do you think you would submit to his decision of eternal punishment.
What would you do????

RUone2

At my age I can honestly say that every day I give thought to my own death and how I will be judged. I think that like the sage in the old testament said, I will think or say Lord if you will count our sins, who will stand it? I hope that I am correct in believing that Christ died so that my sins be forgiven, knowing that I still have to avoid sin and the near occasions of it. I think I do my best, and thats all that can be wxpected of anyone. To me the command to love my neighbors is about the toughest of the commandments, but I truely try, and have grown away from judging people as I once did, believing that as I judge, so then will I be judged. I judge very lightly if at all. I'm a gay man and for me it's not an easy thing to think of the bigots, Oh well, they just don't know any better.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
roli said:
If you did stand before God the moment you leave this life ,"Do You think you would regret the fact that you spent your life pursuing logic,reason,emperical evidence,refuting the christian theological doctrines ,evidence,historical/geographical studies,the bible,Jesus ,God Heaven,Judgement,hell punishment.
Would you blame God for not following after him because of the hypocracy,all the denominations,the conflict between the christian community,the atrocities of historical religion and so on.......
Why should anyone regret using "god-given" talents?

roli said:
Would you at that point beg for mercy,or do you think you would submit to his decision of eternal punishment.
What would you do????
Whose to say the choices were wrong? Certainly not the fellow standing infront of me, for if I'm dead, I'm not really there and neither is he.

Hacker

My simple answer is...I'm not sure if Christianity is the true religion considering the many subdivisions supporting THIS religion, in addition to the other world religions, how would I know which one is right...just a book isn't sufficient enough for me. My faith is determined by what makes logical sense to me, and Christianity doesn't fit the criteria.
So no I do not feel guilt which usually precedes regret, because of a book.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Having already done this once, so yes!
Most definitely will regret; as will see all the actions I did or didn’t take and the ramifications of those action on others……100% never less!
So most definitely will be saying sorry again and “I don’t know”; as in most peoples in hell, were doing your list to begin with… “its not my fault” and passing blame.
Peoples in heaven would be anything, if it suited God, for them to be that, so it is up to God, what will happen to me, all I can do is try and remember to repent (walk the other way) if I make mistakes.

A

angellous_evangellous

If I see God when I die, I hope only for relief.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
roli said:

What would you do????

A fair question.

If God truly exists, and he truly feels suffering for knowing that I did not realize him as my Father at my judgement, and he is saddened by my punishment..........then the truly correct and selfless way to view it would be for me to feel compassion for him and for his position.

Peace,
Mystic

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Don't worry, as I know Buddha sits at the left hand of God, it is more about unconditional love and wisdom, which doesn't necessarily go along with any father concepts (sort of degrades Good to our level).

SaraLee

Before Jesus crucifixion he summed up his message for the disciples saying you can tell the righteous from the unrighteous by their works....to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and generally help those in need. After living a life with the focus devoted mostly on myself, I am now seeing that giving aide to others is necessary and life fulfilling, if in the end I sit in the judgement seat or if I am not.
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-by-left.gif
Originally Posted by roli
quot-by-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif

]

No I would not regret learning all I can about all religions and will never stop looking for truth by any means. I believe this is what God wants of us rather than to blindly accept what others say is correct.

SaraLee

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
roli said:

What would you do????
Jeez louise. :rolleyes:
If at the moment you leave this life, you look into the abyss and see that there is nothing there, do you think you think you would regret the fact that you spent your life pursuing your beliefs at the expense of this life?
Or would you continue to justify your beliefs in the face of the abyss.
What would you do????

Your whole scenario requires that people buy into the idea that you are ultimately right. If we actually bought into that we would all be (your kind of) Christian now, wouldn't we?

Whatever happens ar the moment of death I will have no regrets, because I'm trying to live this one precious life as best as I can according to my conscience, and not in the hopes of gaining reward or avoiding punishment.

Super Universe

Defender of God
The earth is not a test. It is not something that you can fail. And the next step from this 3rd dimension material existance is not heaven. We all have a very, very long way still to go and a lot to learn about the universe and our true nature.

In the afterlife the only things any one of us will regret is the lesson not learned and all the time we wasted being angry and bitter.

FatMan

The only thing I'll regret is how I treat other people on this Earth. If I treat them poorly, then I will be eternally sorry for that. Otherwise, I will have no problem telling God that I have no regrets.

Hacker

Super Universe said:
The earth is not a test. It is not something that you can fail. And the next step from this 3rd dimension material existance is not heaven. We all have a very, very long way still to go and a lot to learn about the universe and our true nature.

In the afterlife the only things any one of us will regret is the lesson not learned and all the time we wasted being angry and bitter.
What is the next step if you don't mind me asking?:D :p

UnTheist

That doesn't seem like a fair question

No, I wouldn't, because God didn't give me enough evidence to believe in it. And He should only care about the way I acted on earth, not what my belief system was.

Nanda

Polyanna
I imagine my reaction would be akin to Kyle from South Park's incredulous reaction to the 911 Conspiracy.

"Really?"

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
If God really was the way you make it sound Roli I think I'd much rather be with whatever has been damned to eternal punishment. The company would be so much better. I also think I would regret not having rallied against God in life as I would do so in death.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
roli said:

What would you do????
I would not be regretful, and i can't imagine i would beg.

God would know exactly why i didn't believe, and He would know that forcing myself to follow a religion i don't believe in would be pointless. He would understand all my thoughts and reasons for believing what i do and if his decision is punishment, then so be it. I can't imagine falling on my knees and saying i'm sorry would change his mind, either He would forgive me or He wouldn't.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Willamena said:
Why should anyone regret using "god-given" talents?
I agree with the God given talents,but the man centered means to rationalize and refute here are what i am referring to.
I guess when we take those God given talents and use them to facilitate our own purposes,agenda's,pleasurable indulgences, mind sets this would leave room for a sense of regret, if indeed we did stand before God some day.
It's almost like standing before a judge and regretfully wishing you had not done what was done ,but it is futile to even go there as the facts are you did and to me the next natural reaction to me would be the regret.

Whose to say the choices were wrong? Certainly not the fellow standing infront of me, for if I'm dead, I'm not really there and neither is he.

Well ,I guess you would say those choices are wrong if you were standing before God, and based on your refutations,disbelief,choices to settle on your own logical and rationale explainations of God and His existence etc. they would I expect be wrong at that point.
By the way if the assumption of standing before God could be taken a step further with you, he does say that we will have to give an account,to me that tells me that we will be conscious of our state and have to give a explanation
To say that you are not really there is at best wishful thinking ,the question was if you stood before God.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
[
quote=Tlcmel]My simple answer is...I'm not sure if Christianity is the true religion considering the many subdivisions supporting THIS religion, in addition to the other world religions, how would I know which one is right...just a book isn't sufficient enough for me. My faith is determined by what makes logical sense to me, and Christianity doesn't fit the criteria.
So no I do not feel guilt which usually precedes regret, because of a book.
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but if I may say for myself and many of the born again christians I know as well I have studied the word and walked with God for a number of years and the way one knows for certain is by a personal experience and or encounter revealtion of God.
Logic, is in a sense, a god formed of by man,although it is a gift from God it can be idolized to a point of becoming the means to which one trusts and relies on for confirmation of God and his existence.
God does use logic as one of the ways to help percepitate us into believing in a creator God as in the creation of life around us
The only way the word of God actually works to convert someone is by the conviction of the Spirit of God.
The bible,archaelogical evidence,scientific evidence or the whole of christian faith viewed from a logical perspective is seldom the means in which a Christian comes to God.
They can and have palyed important roles in a born again conversion but until the Holy Spirit indwells the believer,operative word," believe" can the believer actually have the confirmation that Jesus,all that he spoke of and the bible are the truth and the way to eternal life.