• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think there will be war? (US vs Iran)

Do you think there will be war? (US vs Iran)

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Nimos

This is not a topic meant for people to have a go at either Nation (or Trump), but simply whether people think there will eventually be war or not. And by war I mean with weapons, so not an economic war as that is already happening.

Opinions of why you think either way are appreciated. But try to keep it civilized and keep the opinions as objective as possible, as that would make it more interesting. :D

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think that there will.
Iran has a bunch of accessible petroleum. As the global demand increases and easily accessible sources dwindle, major powers will go to war for control of those sources.

I think that's already started. It's why the USA invaded Iraq. It's why we're protecting Kuwait and KSA and such. It's why so many people want a war with Iran. It's why Russia wanted a weak and divisive US President, beholden to Putin.
It's already started.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Who do you think are likely to join the US, if there should be war?
Doesn't matter. Everybody is going to get sucked into a war like that.
Great Britain usually volunteers.

Or what do you mean with "so many people want a war with Iran"
Read the posts on RF. Read the news. Lots of people, from RF members to KSA and Israel and Russia would like to see a hot war between the USA and Iran.
Tom

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This is not a topic meant for people to have a go at either Nation (or Trump), but simply whether people think there will eventually be war or not. And by war I mean with weapons, so not an economic war as that is already happening.

Opinions of why you think either way are appreciated. But try to keep it civilized and keep the opinions as objective as possible, as that would make it more interesting. :D
I don't think so, because there are several superpowers in the world besides us. It is first of all not our problem. Secondly we benefited whenever another superpower got involved in that part of the world instead of us. We leave, we benefit. Let Russia have a go. They have a huge need for oil what with Siberia being almost too cold for human life. Let China. Let Pakistan or India take interest. Europe. We have no dog in the fight. Anyways solar panels are here, and they're sheer. We've got all kinds of new energy coming out of our ears, and even the coal is not as competitive. Iran's just not that interesting.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't think so, because there are several superpowers in the world besides us.
That's the big problem.

The other superpowers would benefit from the USA getting mired in yet another unwinnable war in the Middle East. Neither Iran nor the USA would benefit. But Russia and China and KSA and Israel would. And it's a global world now.
Tom

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
That's the big problem.

The other superpowers would benefit from the USA getting mired in yet another unwinnable war in the Middle East. Neither Iran nor the USA would benefit. But Russia and China and KSA and Israel would. And it's a global world now.
Tom
They wouldn't merely benefit. We are in a tight spot because of our past in this region. We started out just trying to help out people in Afghanistan, but we got involved through Enron in turning it into a battle for oil. We got dirty. We need to get rid of that dirty oil supply line. We can't afford to keep that pipeline; and our dealings with Iran are making that little lie worse and the web larger. We have oil sanctions against Iran, but we're pumping from Afghanistan! Get rid of the dirty money. That's what's been undercutting our dealings with other countries.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Get rid of the dirty money. That's what's been undercutting our dealings with other countries.
@Revoltingest and I talked about free market solutions to this problem.
I thought we should put a $100/B tax on petroleum, permanently.
He disagreed. He thought it should be double that much.

But we both agreed. Charge people more, and reduce taxes on other stuff like income.
Next thing we knew, we were exchanging stories about the black helicopters circling our homes in the middle of the night....
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

But we both agreed. Charge people more, and reduce taxes on other stuff like income.
Next thing we knew, we were exchanging stories about the black helicopters circling our homes in the middle of the night....
Tom
Dang alzheimer's....I can't recall the conversation.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member

Tom
You could research and develop and anaerobic bacterium that destroys petroleum and makes it into something ecologically harmless. That would be a lot cheaper and easier to implement, and you could say that Iran did it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Dang alzheimer's....I can't recall the conversation.
OK.
I was fibbing about the black helicopters thing.

But I do recall the discussion about reducing USA wastage of fossil fuels by replacing income tax with usage tax.
You don't remember that?

It's when I started to like you, knee jerk baby killer that you are.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You could research and develop and anaerobic bacterium that destroys petroleum and makes it into something ecologically harmless. That would be a lot cheaper and easier to implement, and you could say that Iran did it.
Oil eating microbes are already a thing.
But they as voracious as you'd want.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OK.
I was fibbing about the black helicopters thing.

But I do recall the discussion about reducing USA wastage of fossil fuels by replacing income tax with usage tax.
You don't remember that?

It's when I started to like you, knee jerk baby killer that you are.
Tom
I've long advocated increased fuel tax, which should of course offset income taxes.
I eat what I kill.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How is "anaerobic bacterium" going to help with fighter jets and CO2 emissions?

How about we just charge the producers of fossil fuel products whatever it currently costs to sequester and permanently dispose of the waste products of fossil carbon? They can pass the costs on to consumers. That's the free market solution to the problem of fossil fuel exhaust.
Tom

Ellen Brown

Trump is all hot air. Though All Abrahamic beliefs speak of an 'End Time'. I just wish we'd get on with it, though it may not happen for 100 years.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Trump is all hot air. Though All Abrahamic beliefs speak of an 'End Time'. I just wish we'd get on with it, though it may not happen for 100 years.

Might want to check out the Al Mahdi predictions of the Islamic beliefs.