• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the weather/climate change has only to do with humans or is it also occuring naturally?

We Never Know

No Slack
Has it happened before? Feel free to post evidence of it has or it hasn't?(don't forget your links)

Would it still happen without us? Feel free to post evidence of it would or it wouldn't? (don't forget your links)

PS this isnt a God, creation, belief, political, party, or BS thread. Let them 6 set this one out.:)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Catastrophic climate change? Yes, it's happened before. That's why some are calling the current collapse the sixth extinction.
Anthropogenic? Primarily, yes.

We Never Know

No Slack
Catastrophic climate change? Yes, it's happened before. That's why some are calling the current collapse the sixth extinction.
Anthropogenic? Primarily, yes.

Ok so you agree it's happened before. Do you feel it would or wouldn't happen again without man?
I'm not saying man isn't adding to it, I'm saying it would happen anyway.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ok so you agree it's happened before. Do you feel it would or wouldn't happen again without man?

However, the science on the human contribution to modern warming is quite clear. Humans emissions and activities have caused around 100% of the warming observed since 1950, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) fifth assessment report.
A human contribution of greater than 100% is possible because natural climate change associated with volcanoes and solar activity would most likely have resulted in a slight cooling over the past 50 years, offsetting some of the warming associated with human activities.

Analysis: Why scientists think 100% of global warming is due to humans | Carbon Brief

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It seems to be a combination of human polution and a natural cycle that has happend before (warmer weather) and (sometimes it is colder weather) But the extra high CO2 is due to human polution (the one that is above what nature it self can handle)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Has it happened before? Feel free to post evidence of it has or it hasn't?(don't forget your links)

Would it still happen without us? Feel free to post evidence of it would or it wouldn't? (don't forget your links)

PS this isnt a God, creation, belief, political, party, or BS thread. Let them 6 set this one out.:)
We certainly contribute but we're not the entire cause. That's my take on it atm

However I could be convinced to think otherwise as long as a sensible evidence-based argument can be made for instance such as those made in this article through Columbia University ....

How We Know Today's Climate Change Is Not Natural

it's actually nice to see something explained for once rather than just put in predictive modeling and graphs thinking it's enough to convince people.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, without man it wouldn't be happening now.
The previous mass extinctions were caused by extraordinary events, like sudden changes in greenhouse gas concentrations, which is what we're experiencing today.
The initial impetus for the current climate change was human activity, but now the process is feeding on itself, with newly exposed tundra outgassing huge quantities of CO2 and CH4.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

The Astonishing Climate-Changing Power of Plate Tectonics

Plate Tectonics

Three Times Tectonics Changed the Climate - Eos

https://www.geo.umass.edu/climate/papers2/deconto_tectonics&climate.pdf

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
We certainly contribute but we're not the entire cause. That's my take on it atm
If human caused change is 99% and natural 1%, is that really still "humans are only partially responsible"? I'm not claiming that, just pointing out the ambiguity.

The climate has changed before, so obviously it's possible that some of it is natural. But that doesn't change the human catastrophe from the change. And it's never changed at this rate before.
Then there's the question of "natural" processes contributing to warming. Small changes in temperature will result in large releases of green house gases from the oceans and permafrost. Do those count as natural?

Does it matter? If droughts and hurricanes and extinctions and sea level rise are the results, I don't see how it matters. Add to that the increasingly toxic biosphere and the ugly weapons we've developed to use when the conflicts start.

The human race looks pretty screwed to me, because what we want as individuals will result in nearly unlivable conditions. Especially the individuals with the most power to effect the changes needed.
Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans are part of nature, and human-driven environmental changes are natural. And yes, it's transparently obvious that's what is happening now. What I believe about it is irrelevant - the facts speak for themselves.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Who cares? Do you recommend that we just sit back and let it destroy us? Shouldn't we do what we can to mitigate it?

Vee

Premium Member
I believe climate change has always existed to a certain degree, but human action increased it to a point that it's now out of control.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Humans are a part of nature, so IMO, whatever happens is part of a natural process. My question is more whether humans will be able to adapt to a changing climate.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Humans are a part of nature, so IMO, whatever happens is part of a natural process. My question is more whether humans will be able to adapt to a changing climate.
We've been adapting for our entire history.

For the last many many centuries, adapting included a bunch of violence.

But until recently, violence was a handicraft. People could only kill each other one by one, with weapons like spears, swords, and arrows.
Then we(meaning EuroChristians) weaponized gunpowder. That made killing far more efficient.
Now we've got chemical weapons, cyber weapons, bio weapons, nuclear weapons, and who knows what the governments are keeping in reserve.

How does the spector of "adaptive" behavior look to you, in the long term?
Tom

David1967

Premium Member

I say both. Climate changes over time. The fossil record certainly shows that however with all the pollutants we pump into the atmosphere I don't see how we are not speeding things along at a much faster rate than is normal.

We Never Know

No Slack
I say both. Climate changes over time. The fossil record certainly shows that however with all the pollutants we pump into the atmosphere I don't see how we are not speeding things along at a much faster rate than is normal.

I agree. I think we are making it happen a little faster but the climate would eventually change.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, without man it wouldn't be happening now.
The previous mass extinctions were caused by extraordinary events, like sudden changes in greenhouse gas concentrations, which is what we're experiencing today.
The initial impetus for the current climate change was human activity, but now the process is feeding on itself, with newly exposed tundra outgassing huge quantities of CO2 and CH4.

The current extinction event is caused by wildlife dying out due to habitat destruction, overhunting, toxic pollution, invasion by alien species and climate change.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And it's not just green house gases.

From heavy metals to dioxins to micro-plastics to radioactive waste, the list is just endless.
And one of the big problems is nationalism and patriotism. As long as the crap is being dumped by a different country it's "Not in my backyard, yet."
So finger pointing takes the place of rational responses.
Tom

We Never Know

No Slack
However, the science on the human contribution to modern warming is quite clear. Humans emissions and activities have caused around 100% of the warming observed since 1950, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) fifth assessment report.
A human contribution of greater than 100% is possible because natural climate change associated with volcanoes and solar activity would most likely have resulted in a slight cooling over the past 50 years, offsetting some of the warming associated with human activities.

Analysis: Why scientists think 100% of global warming is due to humans | Carbon Brief

We are part of nature. Whether it's caused by us, elephants, meteors, volcanoes, insects, etc... Its natural.