• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the harry potter books and movies are making people like magic more in a bad way?

Frank Goad

Do you think the harry potter books and movies are making people like magic more in a bad way?When I mean a bad way.I mean not just for fun like the stuff you see a stage magician doing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Do you think the harry potter books and movies are making people like magic more in a bad way?When I mean a bad way.I mean not just for fun like the stuff you see a stage magician doing.

You mean "bad" like 'real' witchcraft, divination, and paganism I am assuming? Why is that bad?

Edit: To answer your question. No, I don't think so. And even if it is, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No more or less than stories of King Arthur and Merlin for a huge chunk of Western people for about a 1000 years who all grew up before Harry Potter. I had Sword in the Stone as a kid, loved it, watched it a bunch of times, never did it make me think people can actually turn into dragons and animate objects and other things the cartoon Merlin did.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The harry potter magic is closer to true magic then the stage magic that is 99% fake magic in my view But of course, harry potter is only an imagination too.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

You mean like thinking magic is real? If so, then I suppose it is no worse than religion. :shrug:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as fantasy lit goes, Harry Potter is closer to biblical presentation than most. It's a messianic hero tale, with the prophecied savior coming from humble means, dying to fulfill a prophecy, resurrecting to defeat the evil and deliver the wizarding world. It's about as weakly linked to actual paganism as such a story can be.