• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the bible god is responsible with all the disasters on earth?

ProfLogic

It claims to have created everything. Jesus was known to control the rough waters and wind. The disaster in Indonesia (tsunami), the hurricane in Louisiana, drought in africa, the mudslides in china and the us, tornadoes, mansoons, earthquakes, etc claimed the lives of humanity, numerous I might add. Why does it continue to kill humanity? What is your explanation? I am pretty sure some of the people who died in disasters and people who suffer losing their love ones are not perceived as evil by society.

In the bible, it killed pharoah's army in exodus, brought famine to Egypt, killed all the first born...etc. If you have control and you even created the disasterous phenomenon and you still let them occur to kill humanity, then you are responsible.

mr.guy

crapsack
If you have control and you even created the disasterous phenomenon and you still let them occur to kill humanity, then you are responsible.
And what of it? If no one can "take me to task", responsibility is moot.

What is fundementally my plaything cannot expect to assign or dictate how i'm to toy with it, unless it has significant and convincing means of enforcing what corrections it would see in me and my behaviour.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ProfLogic said:
It claims to have created everything. Jesus was known to control the rough waters and wind. The disaster in Indonesia (tsunami), the hurricane in Louisiana, drought in africa, the mudslides in china and the us, tornadoes, mansoons, earthquakes, etc claimed the lives of humanity, numerous I might add. Why does it continue to kill humanity? What is your explanation? I am pretty sure some of the people who died in disasters and people who suffer losing their love ones are not perceived as evil by society.

In the bible, it killed pharoah's army in exodus, brought famine to Egypt, killed all the first born...etc. If you have control and you even created the disasterous phenomenon and you still let them occur to kill humanity, then you are responsible.

Once again, the tales of God who allegedly caused so many disasters in the O.T cannot honestly be credible.

There is a vast difference between the God of the O.T and God as described by Jesus Christ.

Which would you 'go for' ? The God inspired words, handed down from generation to generation, written by man, translated, and reproduced, or the more recent reported descriptions of what Jesus taught ?

I don't for a minute believe that the disasters that occur are 'The wrath of God'; they are natural events which occur simply because they do so.

To be fair, we can even accept, now, that some of these disasters have been brought on by us. Deforestation in many Third World Countries are responsible for the literal 'washing away of villages'; Global warming (like it or not) is partially (at least) our fault.

dan

Death as a bad thing is the conclusion of those whose vision only goes so far. God has much more in store for us after death, but death and destruction are not His doing. He allows them to be so that we can learn and grow. People do bad things because God promised He would not interfere with our agency. So many people start hurling accusations around after stuff like 9/11. Why didn't God stop it? They scream; but our agency is our greatest gift, and it would be unfair to restrict it in certain people's lives and let it have full reign in others, especially since pain and suffering are a main point of our existence. They teachus to appreciate joy as well as make us stronger.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
All of those diasters can be explained by science as very natural causes. Why the need to blame a god that may or may not exist?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Maize said:
All of those diasters can be explained by science as very natural causes. Why the need to blame a god that may or may not exist?

I guess for the same reason as explaining by science..

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
ProfLogic said:

This is (once again) the same kind of logic that dictates that Winchester must be held responsible for every killing that occurred with a gun he made.

What about the responsibility of those who refused to get out of the danger zone? What about the folly and hubris of building and living so close to such danger zones? Does humanity bear no responsibility here?

While I believe God created the world and set in motion the natural laws that govern the world, I do not believe that God can be held responsible for every human death that occurs due to natural disaster.

(If you cared to know anything at all about theology, you would know that the point of the story commonly called "Jesus calming the storm" wasn't that Jesus calmed the storm, nor are God's acts of killing, as told in the OT the point of any of those stories, either. Rather, they all point to the sovereignty and power of God -- not God's "violent tendencies.")

anders

michel said:
There is a vast difference between the God of the O.T and God as described by Jesus Christ.
No difference in that there is not a shread of an evidence for either.

Which would you 'go for' ? The God inspired words, handed down from generation to generation, written by man, translated, and reproduced, or the more recent reported descriptions of what Jesus taught ?
"God inspired words" like people being moved to "heaven", the sun and the moon standing still etc.etc.? "More recent"?! Yes, in a way, but how much of other things written 2000 years ago do you believe in, especially if written by people living long after the alleged events? I go for myth, especially as there is nothing in the OT + NT that hasn't been claimed from more ancient religions.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Do you think the bible god is responsible with all the disasters on earth?
In my beliefs, He is only responsibe in that He is flawed and as a result His creation is flawed.
Bad things happen because the universe was constructed by the divine version of a moron (which is still infinitely more intelligent than a man, mind). He simply couldn't make it perfect, but at least He tried.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
anders said:
No difference in that there is not a shread of an evidence for either.

"God inspired words" like people being moved to "heaven", the sun and the moon standing still etc.etc.? "More recent"?! Yes, in a way, but how much of other things written 2000 years ago do you believe in, especially if written by people living long after the alleged events? I go for myth, especially as there is nothing in the OT + NT that hasn't been claimed from more ancient religions.

Fair enough if that's what is what you believ; I know what I believe.

ProfLogic

michel said:

The storyline of king david seems to be the link between the 2. A possibility is that jesus, a man was easily tricked by this so called god awareness, due to the teachings in the OT and he just decided to share goodness because he himslef was good to begin with.

michel said:
I don't for a minute believe that the disasters that occur are 'The wrath of God'; they are natural events which occur simply because they do so.

Does this mean that these events have their own will also, which is uncontrollable such as humanity? If so, then the thing that claims it is a god simply is am impostor and have trick a number of humans to believe in it.

michel said:
To be fair, we can even accept, now, that some of these disasters have been brought on by us. Deforestation in many Third World Countries are responsible for the literal 'washing away of villages'; Global warming (like it or not) is partially (at least) our fault.

Would this be by of a religious point of view. I still here, its in god's plan tale........when a religious person is ask. Jesus controlling the wind and the sea could have been exagerated?

ProfLogic

dan said:
Death as a bad thing is the conclusion of those whose vision only goes so far. God has much more in store for us after death, but death and destruction are not His doing. He allows them to be so that we can learn and grow. People do bad things because God promised He would not interfere with our agency. So many people start hurling accusations around after stuff like 9/11. Why didn't God stop it? They scream; but our agency is our greatest gift, and it would be unfair to restrict it in certain people's lives and let it have full reign in others, especially since pain and suffering are a main point of our existence. They teachus to appreciate joy as well as make us stronger.

If it can stop the lost of innocence why shouldn't it if it is the all powerful being. The people (mostly in poverty) of Thailand were victimized.

I disagree with suffering and pain as humanities main existence because, humanity is diverse and is more powerful than any god that was every written because humanity has a mind. The most powerful essence of being human and can make a god appear and dissapear in one moments notice.

dan

ProfLogic said:
If it can stop the lost of innocence why shouldn't it if it is the all powerful being.

If there is greater joy on the other side of the veil then your point is utterly meaningless. I believe there is.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
Once again, the tales of God who allegedly caused so many disasters in the O.T cannot honestly be credible.
Presumably you consider tales of a virgin birth and multiple resurrection credible, so it seems fair to ask that you clearly describe your criteria for 'credibility'.

Reactions: Ody

verita

Lately, I answered almost the same question in other religious forums. When I first read the bible 18 years ago, I asked the same question to myself. Why did God allow killings to happen on earth especially during the time of Noah? Five years ago, I am not contented in reading the bible so I typed the whole bible for exactly 3 months. And God pity on me, because he showed me the good way. I faithfully believe that the following verse is very true. There is a Kingdom of God on earth because our Lord Jesus Christ will not tell us to seek if there's none.
Mat 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you.

This is my answer to the question Why God ordered the killings including innocent peoples like children...

First of all, I do hope that it is just a question in your mind why God ordered the Israelites to kill every men, women, children including animals that were owned by Amalek the tribe. Please do not blame God if these things happened.
1Sa 15:2-3 So says Jehovah of Hosts, I will visit Amalek with what he did to Israel, how he set against him in the way when he came up from Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek, and completely destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.

If you are God you will feel the same. God Almighty who created the heavens, earth and everything therein is the RIGHTFUL OWNER of everything including our lives.

For example, you own a big property and in your property there are many workers or a peasant who is supposed to work for you.
And you go away for sometimes. When you came back your peasants does not recognize you as the owner of that property. instead they appreciate your enemy as their Boss. Isn’t it VERY PAINFUL for you because you are the one who invested that property? For sure you will have a feeling of discontent and resentment or ENVY. And for that you will feel very jealous to your peasants.

That is what God the Father feels when he ordered the Israelites to kill the Amaleks and all other tribes. Those peoples worship their idols and do not appreciate God. The Almighty God the Father in heaven is a very JEALOUS GOD.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a
JEALOUS GOD, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me,

Why he ordered to kill including the children and infants? Those children who were raised by their parents will be the same as their parents. The children will suffer most if God will spare their lives. Who will FEED those children specially in the time of Noah. There were thousand or millions of children. During those days there was no infant milk. God allows ALL children to die because he knew that before the JUDGMENT DAY, they will all be resurrected to heaven. Those children will enjoy EVERLASTING happiness in the Kingdom of God. ALL children including those in the time of Noah, firstborn of
Egypt and even the children that die everyday in our time. They all belong to the Kingdom of God.
Mar 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was moved with indignation, and said unto them, Suffer the LITTLE CHILDREN to come unto me; forbid them not: for to such BELONGETH THE KINGDOM OF GOD.
Luk
18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, saying, Suffer the LITTLE CHILDREN to come unto me, and forbid them not: for to such BELONGETH THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

As I said, God the Father Almighty is the OWNER of everything on Earth including our lives. If someone killed someone, God allows him to die and if he survives the killing or even accident, God allows him to live.

Others say, oh I’m very lucky because I survive. It is not your luck. It is because God Loves You and he allows you to live.
The only thing we don’t understand is that our God is always present if you call him in times of trouble.

Jesus is a Savior not only in the Judgment Day but all the days of our life. That is the meaning of a SAVIOR.

When my wife is in comma because of Leukemia, I couldn’t stand looking at her. I go up in our room and close the door. I kneel and bow down my forehead to the floor and wept and prayed to God so he shall take the spirit of my wife. Almost thirty minutes later, God took her spirit. I go up agan and thank God The Father Almighty for hearing my prayer through our Savior Lord Jesus Christ. I knew other people dying of leukemia and it took almost 18 hours before their spirit leaves their body.

Two months after my wife died, my own car parked on my slanted garage moves backward, I couldn’t hold it because the doors are close. I ask my daughter for a help but she position herself right at the back of the car. When I told her to run, her slipper slips from her foot. She tries to reach her slipper but the car moves faster and I saw my daughter gone underneath the trunk. As I was trying also to stop the car while holding the door knobs I shouted MY GOD. When the car had finally stopped in the street I saw my child with the rear right wheel on top of her. We cleared her and rush to the hospital and she had only bruises. Later I ask her how come she almost reached the other side of the street otherwise both front wheels had rolled over her. She told me someone rolled her while the car is trying to catch her. For me it is not a miracle. I believe it is a work of God. Look at the story in the book of Daniel.
Dan 3:24 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.
Dan 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
Dan 3:26 Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, and spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come hither. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, came forth of the midst of the fire.
Believe me Brother and Sisters, that fourth Man is our Savior Lord Jesus Christ who also saved my daughter. Thanks be to God.

We must not question God
because he said…

Deu 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, And there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal; And there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

We must always be looking forward to that ETERNAL LIFE that the Almighty God had promised to all human beings because our life here on earth is very short. The bible says our life on earth is only 70 years. You are lucky if you exceeded that because God allows you to go beyond 70 years old.
Psa 90:10 The days of our years are THREESCORE YEARS AND TEN (70), Or even by reason of strength fourscore years (80); Yet is their pride but labor and sorrow; For it is soon gone, and we fly away.

From the time of our Lord Jesus Christ until now, the commandment is…
Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said to them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 but I say unto you, that every one who is ANGRY with his brother shall be in DANGER OF THE JUDGMENT; and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council; and whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of the hell of fire.

So every killing in our time is not ordered by God. Who orders the killing today?
Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.

God be with you all.

sparkyluv

God is the owner of everything on this earth, our lives included. He gives life and he has more than enough right and will to take it away.

Booko

Deviled Hen
ProfLogic said:

A good writer always addresses his audience in terms they will understand.

So what?