• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think people on death row are resigned to their fate?

Hyksos

They are calm, serene, and at peace with their Maker; because they know there is no way for them to survive the last judgement? (Revelation 20:15).

stillsong

I do not ascribe to the belief that there is no way they will survive judgment. Remember the master,
Even though your sins be of scarlet, in me they shall be white as snow
Judge not that ye be not judged.
There is no saved people and people to be punished. We torment ourselves with beliefs that do not rest in the way the master gave us to follow him in the way of compassion and forgiveness.

Samantha Truman

Personally, I think of these verses:

Isaiah 6:8 "8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me. 9 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. 10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed."

Isaiah 48:8 "Yea, thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time that thine ear was not opened : for I knew that thou wouldest deal very treacherously , and wast called a transgressor from the womb. 9 For my name's sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain for thee, that I cut thee not off."

We see that people are blinded and for God's name sake he defers his wrath. Isaiah 66:4 "I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not."

God hands them over to delusions, yet he defers his wrath.

God wants all men to come to repentance. When those who stand before the throne of God are judged, I personally believe they will be given a chance to repent. I believe they will be given 100 years to change their ways. Because think about what it says in Isaiah 65:20 "There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed."

An infant of days; think about that. How can God judge a child who died a few hours old; or a few days old? They have not done anything to show their works, whether good or bad. So God, in the second resurrection, gives them 100 years. The infant AND the sinner.

But that's just my understanding.

-- Samantha

Last edited:

stillsong

Well Jesus gave the woman caught in adultery a second chance
"Go and sin no more"
What kind of God would punish those that make mistakes?
This would be more like the old Testament God that would strike down their enemies and lift up the believers.
Jesus went beyond that. God is love. Not judgement but compassion. Of course some of the later writers made stories in Revelation, but Jesus was compassionate even with the Roman soldiers who were putting him to death.
And compassionate to the thiefs, one repentant and one not. But Jesus could only get through to the repentant thief.

Karl R

I don't believe that death row inmates are generally resigned, calm, serene or at peace.

They are calm, serene, and at peace with their Maker; because they know there is no way for them to survive the last judgement? (Revelation 20:15).
Let's look at reality, not what you imagine the scripture to mean. Rates of assaults are high within the population on death row, equal to the rates of assaults committed by murderers in the general prison population.

In addition, a disproportionately high number are schizophrenic, delusional, psychotic and/or paranoid.

One study identified four adverse psychological processes as pervading the experience of death row inmates:
1. a sense of helplessness and defeat;
2. a sense of widespread and diffuse danger with an accompanying perception of helpless vulnerability;
3. emotional emptiness characterized by loneliness and a deadening of feelings for self and others; and
4. a decline in mental and physical acuity.

For more information, follow this link:
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/CunninghamDeathRowReview.pdf

I've heard anecdotal evidence from a minister who serves the Texas death row population which supports the findings of these studies.

I have a question for the four of you. Why did you look to scripture to determine what happens on death row (based upon your interpretation of scriptures that may be vaguely applicable), rather than doing a Google search to find out what is actually occurring?

ronandcarol

Premium Member
One of the criminals on the cross beside Jesus was given forgiveness just before he died, and Jesus said he would be in paradise. So no matter how vile or rotten or bad a death row prisoner is, there will be forgiveness for them if they confess and ask the Lord for forgiveness. Than they can walk that last corridor with a smile on their face. They're going to paradise.

ronandcarol