• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think magic spells work on christians?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Do you think magic spells work on christians?:)I think they might.But I am not sure.:(

I don't know the answer to your question since I've never been hexed before, so I can't say if magic spells work on Christians or not. I also don't know if magic spells work on people who aren't Christian. I don't want to find out if magic spells work or not, though.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Do you think magic spells work on christians?:)I think they might.But I am not sure.:(
No. There's no such thing as magic, especially in the Harry Potter, Hocus Pocus form. That's fiction. The closest to that would be forms of psychological tricks and manipulation. However, I do believe that evil spirits can be called upon to harm people, but that probably would end up harming the one invoking them, too.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If it works on humans it works on Christians, but any person who has control of themselves and their passions is resistant to control by others.

Here are scriptures about common gateways of magic used against not only Christians but against all kinds of people:
  • "Whoever loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and olive oil will never be rich." (Proverbs 21:17)
  • "Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds those who see and twists the words of the innocent." (Exo 23:8 NIV)
  • "Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things." (Phl 3:19)

SA Huguenot

Well, let me give you first hand information.
Here in South Africa we have "Which doctors", (Sangomas) who make millions in casting spells, giving "Muti" (Medicine to assist in everything from fertility, to bewitch someone that you dont like etc.)
Obviously these stuff works, because all the Black people I know, are totally scared of these witchcraft and spells people casts on one another.
Every year hundreds of old women are set alight because they were "Identified" as witches.
If you pass these Sangomas' homes, you will find hundreds of people waiting in line.

I am a Christian and worked for over 36 years with an average of no less than 800 black people of all 10 ethnic nationalities of the Black people in South Africa.
I know the religion, culture, can understand a littlebit of their languages and customs, and believe me, these people might be called "Christian", but their culture and beliefs in the ancestor spirits, witchcraft, and spells are interwoven in their religion to the extend that the "Christianity" we know in the West, is totally different.

I did some research on the spells which these sangomas casts, and the muti they supply to cast a spell over others, and found that in many instances these wichdoctors have a huge knowledge of herbal poisoning, and medication. Therefore, if anyone come to them with an ailment, they will have reasonable success with treating the person. if they give you something to cast a spell on your enemy, it will be herbal poinson, some so strong that stepping barefoot on it will have an effect.
Fot this reason you will understand the fear people have about the spells and muti in this culture.

I myself was poisoned twice (mildly), obvious I am a white person and worked in companies in the apartheid era where the black people used such muti to cast a spell on the white manager they dont like.
I one day the "Tea lady" in the office building was cought throwing muti in someones coffee, and tests revealed it was "Devils snare" seeds mixed with something else. She was found to have received this muti from the union representatives who tried to get rid of managers that are enforcing discipline and productivity. She was dismissed, and apologised to me for what she did. She was scared that I would change the spell back onto her. She was amaised that I did not get very ill.
From there on I never allowed anyone to make any hot beverage for me. I made it myself.

Now for an interesting fact.
You can ask any black person in South Africa if their witchcraft and spells works against the white Christians in South Africa, and they will say it does not!

Last edited:

SA Huguenot

Also just for information.
I debated with a Muslim scholar a few years ago on social media, with about 50 or so participants, from Islam and Christian faith.

We came to a point where he got frustrated about the topic we discussed, and he proposed that we both pray to our God, and ask Him to set His "Curse" upon the one who is a liar!

Now being a Christian, I was shocked that he would ask something like this.
I let him know that he is free to call on Allah to place a curse on me, but...
I will pray that YHWH blesses him with good health, and prosperity, safety for his family, and happyness.

Neesless to say, Allah did nothing to me, and no bad happened to Ahmed too.

But I wanted to know why on earth would he demand Allah to allow a curse on someone.
Well, it is in the Quran in Surra 3 Aya 61.
And this to me is evidence that Muslims actually believe in such magic spells, because Muhammad received a revelation from Allah to teach Muslims this is a way to learn the truth.

I found it very interesting.

I am not sure about Roman Catholism, but the few believers I know are very supersticious, and scared of spells etc.
Perhaps someone can enlighten us a bit more.

SA Huguenot

If it works on humans it works on Christians, but any person who has control of themselves and their passions is resistant to control by others.

Here are scriptures about common gateways of magic used against not only Christians but against all kinds of people:
  • "Whoever loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and olive oil will never be rich." (Proverbs 21:17)
  • "Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds those who see and twists the words of the innocent." (Exo 23:8 NIV)
  • "Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things." (Phl 3:19)
I wondered if there was any such magic spells in the Bible.
I would love to find some.
But the above is not such examples, but actually very factual results of misbehavoiur.
It makes sense that the alcoholic and pleasure driven person will be poor. I have seen many examples, and never a rich alcoholic.
Not Magic, but the truth. I have never seen the contrary on the above. And to make matters worse, accepting bribes realy hurts the inocent!
Also not magic. We have paul telling us the difference between the saved and unsaved. Just read the passage to verse 20 and it will be clear.
  • Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Also just for information.
I debated with a Muslim scholar a few years ago on social media, with about 50 or so participants, from Islam and Christian faith.

We came to a point where he got frustrated about the topic we discussed, and he proposed that we both pray to our God, and ask Him to set His "Curse" upon the one who is a liar!

Now being a Christian, I was shocked that he would ask something like this.
I let him know that he is free to call on Allah to place a curse on me, but...
I will pray that YHWH blesses him with good health, and prosperity, safety for his family, and happyness.

Neesless to say, Allah did nothing to me, and no bad happened to Ahmed too.

But I wanted to know why on earth would he demand Allah to allow a curse on someone.
Well, it is in the Quran in Surra 3 Aya 61.
And this to me is evidence that Muslims actually believe in such magic spells, because Muhammad received a revelation from Allah to teach Muslims this is a way to learn the truth.

I found it very interesting.

I am not sure about Roman Catholism, but the few believers I know are very supersticious, and scared of spells etc.
Perhaps someone can enlighten us a bit more.

This is a misunderstanding. 3:61 was going to be a real punishment from God in form of death, that is why other verses say Jews were afraid of death and would not wish it. Together these verses show the curse was death, and hadiths show it to mean that.

Right now a Muslim praying for a death of another person, it won't happen, it's unprovable which side is true. Cursing each other spiritually was never the meaning.

Prophet (s) on the other hand, people didn't want to risk it, because he was performing miracles, and they knew it would happen.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not on those who worship Jehovah. Not spells.

Jehovah might allow one of His servants to be tested, but not hurt. If they turn to & trust in Him. Proverbs 18:10

That's such a beautiful verse. I believe the same - the name of God is the only refuge from the dark sorcery.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

That's such a beautiful verse.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
No it wouldn't. IMO. They change ones internal state or essence.

“magic is about changing the state or essence of persons, objects, acts and events through certain special and non-trivial kinds of actions with opaque causal mediation”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECAQQBg&usg=AOvVaw2od5WAb9-K_QeUb7lHFY36

I think it's weird that you disagree with me and yet provide a definition that precisely proves my point. Magic here is not an internal, psychological phenomenon but explicitly stated to have external, causal effects.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I wondered if there was any such magic spells in the Bible.
I would love to find some.
There is the time Jacob cheats Laban. He causes new ewes to become spotted by having the animals rut under inky plants. For some reason this causes them to produce spotted offspring. No one has been able to repeat this trick. (Genesis 30) Jacob has a deal with Laban that Jacob gets all the spotted ewes and Laban gets all the unspotted ewes. Jacob gets all of them using this trick. Somehow the inky plants are able to affect the DNA of the ewes or there is some magical effect.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think it's weird that you disagree with me and yet provide a definition that precisely proves my point. Magic here is not an internal, psychological phenomenon but explicitly stated to have external, causal effects.

K

SA Huguenot

There is the time Jacob cheats Laban. He causes new ewes to become spotted by having the animals rut under inky plants. For some reason this causes them to produce spotted offspring. No one has been able to repeat this trick. (Genesis 30) Jacob has a deal with Laban that Jacob gets all the spotted ewes and Laban gets all the unspotted ewes. Jacob gets all of them using this trick. Somehow the inky plants are able to affect the DNA of the ewes or there is some magical effect.
I tried it, and it does not work.
Anyhow, the Bible does say it was an instruction from God to Jacob.
I will place it in the Miracle file, not magic.