• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think I should?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are you in the belief that because I chose to convert to Sufi islam i should become a hater, rapist, woman hater, sexist, liar, criminal, murderer?

This is the feeling i get from a very few people, that because I personally chose to become a Muslim I would automatically become a Taliban who hate everything except them selves and their ego?

That is not the islam i see. That is not the purpose of the teaching.

Isnt it the people who do those horrible things to others that is the issue? Those who use the verses made during time of war to justify their own evil deeds?

Mostly all muslims are peace loving people who want the best for others.

Why let the few who are not, destroy the many who want you happiness and love?

May it be that it takes time and effort daily to understand the teaching, but those who do not study can only see the words, but not the truth?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You should pay less attention to what folks think you should be :)
Personally, I know what I believe and why and have become strong enough to withstand the pressure, but do the haters of Islam understand the teaching, or do they only looking for what negative they can find?

Constructive critique is not a problem. But hate?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There's more than a 'few'. A lot more.

A 'few' cannot take over entire governments or coordinate global acts of terrorism on people.

The hard fact is there are actually a lot. Not a 'few'.

That said, I'm sure there are actually some Muslims who want a peaceful life and wish to practice their religion not wanting to stir up trouble for others out there.

Unfortunately reputations are based on association of one's peers even if not directly involved.

Like how Evangelicals have affected the overall reputation of Christianity and made things worse and worse for them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There's more than a 'few'. A lot more.

A 'few' cannot take over entire governments or coordinate global acts of terrorism on people.

The hard fact is there are actually a lot. Not a 'few'.

That said, I'm sure there are actually some Muslims who want a peaceful life and wish to practice their religion not wanting to stir up trouble for others out there.

Unfortunately reputations are based on association of one's peers even if not directly involved.

Like how Evangelicals have affected the overall reputation of Christianity and made things worse and worse for them.
How many Muslims in the world, and how many terrorists are there?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Christianity had issues with violence before the Evangelicals, such as <points to a history book>.

So why don't people feel the same way about someone converting to Christianity?

Also, all religions appear to have a problem with violence because humans are human. The biggest problem is when religion gets mixed up with politics.

That doesn't justify humans being violent or the atrocities that due occur from religion. But fair is fair: if you are going to chastise a person for joining a group that has other members committing violence in the name of that religion, be aware that the same may also be true for other religions, political ideals, sports, ethical stances, and just about anything else humans get all flag-bearing about.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Are you in the belief that because I chose to convert to Sufi islam i should become a hater, rapist, woman hater, sexist, liar, criminal, murderer?

This is the feeling i get from a very few people, that because I personally chose to become a Muslim I would automatically become a Taliban who hate everything except them selves and their ego?

Isnt it the people who do those horrible things to others that is the issue? Those who use the verses made during time of war to justify their own evil deeds?

May it be that it takes time and effort daily to understand the teaching, but those who do not study can only see the words, but not the truth?
Why mention haters of Islam when many have legitimate criticisms?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Just realized Conscious Thoughts specified "Sufi" Islam. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is a mystical interpretation of Islam, eh?

I don't have the data, but I'd suspect there is far less violence amongst the mystical sects of religions than the dogmatic fundamentalist versions.

It should be a lot more distasteful to hurt someone if you identify with them, God, the Universe, or your concept of God is directly tied to love.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You should pay less attention to what folks think you should be :)

^^ THIS ^^

Personally I know what I believe and why and have becomestrong enoughto withstand the pressure, but do the haters of Islam understand the teaching or do they only looking for what negative they can find?

Constructive critique is not a problem. But hate?

Not all Islam teaches what Sufism does. There are, indeed, radical extremist Muslims. The Taliban (mentioned in the OP) is a perfect example of this.

Be careful lumping the teachings of Islam together with the teachings of Sufism. Not all Muslims teach the same thing.

That said, if people hate you because you're Sufi, they are likely ignorant of the teachings. If they hate you after you attempt to explain the differences between Sufism and Muslim extremism, then they're frankly not worth your time.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why not focus on the many positive aspect and not trying to find every tiny bit that could be seen as negative?

Fight evil with love, evil hate love and compassion
I don't disagree. I go the pessimistic route to uncover all disadvantages so that it's in the open and declared.

Upon doing so then there might be a venue to slingshot in a more optimistic direction.

Islam hasn't got there yet and has a ways to go before it nestles in with its abrahamic counterparts.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Christianity had issues with violence before the Evangelicals, such as <points to a history book>.

So why don't people feel the same way about someone converting to Christianity?

Also, all religions appear to have a problem with violence because humans are human. The biggest problem is when religion gets mixed up with politics.

That doesn't justify humans being violent or the atrocities that due occur from religion. But fair is fair: if you are going to chastise a person for joining a group that has other members committing violence in the name of that religion, be aware that the same may also be true for other religions, political ideals, sports, ethical stances, and just about anything else humans get all flag-bearing about.
I realized that the OP may have come across as a bit of an attack on the people opposing Islam, that was not the intention in a negative way. I wanted to understand why it is more focused on what is bad because clearly there is bad happening from those who call themselves Muslims but are terrorists.

But for those of us who are not fundamentalists or terrorists, there are so much good within this religion. unfortunately the focus on the negative take away the sight of the good.

The thing for me is: I know even the scripture speak of this will happen, so I should not be surprised :oops:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Islam hasn't got there yet and has a ways to go before it nestles in with its abrahamic counterparts.

Considering our violent presence in the world, our insane amount of gun violence on our own soil, and our tendency to put economic interests over humanitarian, I image a lot of folks in the world feel this way about Americans.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why mention haters of Islam when many have legitimate criticisms?
The rightful critique of Islam is not what I wanted to discuss or understand. It is the unnecessary focus on the negative, but so little on the positive.
And No I did not mean this OP to be an attack on those who have a valuable critique of Muslims who do bad deeds. Muslims should not do those bad deeds toward others or them selvs

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
^^ THIS ^^

Not all Islam teaches what Sufism does. There are, indeed, radical extremist Muslims. The Taliban (mentioned in the OP) is a perfect example of this.

Be careful lumping the teachings of Islam together with the teachings of Sufism. Not all Muslims teach the same thing.

That said, if people hate you because you're Sufi, they are likely ignorant of the teachings. If they hate you after you attempt to explain the differences between Sufism and Muslim extremism, then they're frankly not worth your time.
I do agree this OP may have come across wrongly, the focus should not have been seen as it was on me as a person or a Sufi, Sorry about that.

But yes you are right in what you said :)

ajay0

Sufism is actually a liberal version of Islam like the Ahmediyas which denounce violent jihad and promotes scholarship and nonviolence.

But both these sects are under attack and persecution by Islamic extremists who consider them unislamic.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sufism is actually a liberal version of Islam like the Ahmediyas which denounce violent jihad and promotes scholarship and nonviolence.

But both these sects are under attack and persecution by Islamic extremists who consider them unislamic.
That is very true :) I had some of it my way too :)

exchemist

Veteran Member

I agree, it must be very frustrating for you. All you can do, unless you want to get politically involved, is to show an example to those around you and let them see the other side to islam.

But in the end, muslims need to do more to combat the negative image that the Wahhabi-style extremists convey to the world by their violence and intolerance. I have read that in Britain one of the problems is that the imams at the mosques tend to be first generation immigrants, sometimes with little English, and liable to be alienated from the society around them. They quite often preach a message of rejection. Since they are the chief influencers in their community, this does not promote integration or tolerance. In this situation, even more moderate muslims who disagree will feel inhibited. In Britain, things have seemed to be going backwards in recent years. More muslim men grow long beards and more muslim women are under pressure to wear headscarves, black clothing and even burqas. All these things telegraph their (chosen) status as disapproving outsiders.

We need a movement for reformed mosques, in my opinion, that can preach a message of tolerance and integration and are prepared to see the good in the societies in which they live.