• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Think God Is Protecting You From Harm?

Kelly of the Phoenix

He is admittedly terribly inconsistent. Sometimes (and I worship God), I just get the feeling He is like a business owner who rides around in the sports car all day and doesn't know why His business is failing.. Look at Genesis 2, for God's sake: had He put up a BIT more effort in the parenting concept, would Adam and Eve screwed up? Had He taught their kids anything, would Cain still have killed Abel? Laissez-faire crap doesn't work.

Or maybe God is like a gamer who only logs on every once in awhile but the game is still going on ...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If yes , what makes you more special than children who died horribly?
well, when I was sooooooo much younger .....
I had one of those moments when I gave God some credit for having created all that I saw immediately before me
stars
street lights
sparks from dad's cutting torch
lightning bugs
even the headlights of passing cars

Light

and since then.....several near misses
some of which SHOULD have killed me

but here I am

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
well, when I was sooooooo much younger .....
I had one of those moments when I gave God some credit for having created all that I saw immediately before me
stars
street lights
sparks from dad's cutting torch
lightning bugs
even the headlights of passing cars

Light

and since then.....several near misses
some of which SHOULD have killed me

but here I am

That was mainly Edison. An atheist.

Ciao

- viole

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you familiar with leading questions? If not, this is an example of one. You are assuming that the people who feel the one-god is protecting them from harm think that this is because they are "more special." Not a correct assumption to make.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
It seems a 'question of suffering'
1=God Wills good for His creation.
2=Food, medicine or other factors are due to people. Troubles are either results of individual and societal reasons or they come as trial for getting blessings.
3=There is always a small percentage of individuals who will seem to suffer as though without justification. However, a closer more careful examination of such cases would reveal that there is no question of wilful injustice involved. They are merely an unavoidable by-product of the wide plan of creation, but they also play a meaningful role in the general advancement of human society.
4=IMHO, in depth it is - Question of suffering discussion - Please read its various aspects @
https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_2_section_6.html

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No. God is life so everything happens within it's own time and way. If one child lives a long life of cancer and I die for a seizure (epileptic) even though epilepsy isn't life threatening, that is just how the roll of the dice came. No one toss them; it just is.

That said, if a god/entity existed I would think he would protect his faithful from any type of harm. If that be the case, he'd probably save Adam and Eve. Instead, he just set up the playing field, let the opponent enter the game, and let it be.

I think it's messed up to think a person can watch all this but when I see it as the laws of nature or karma, then it makes more sense and I don't have to ask questions of "why and how". It's already set, we just have to live it out.

dave_

Are you familiar with leading questions? If not, this is an example of one. You are assuming that the people who feel the one-god is protecting them from harm think that this is because they are "more special." Not a correct assumption to make.

I mean what trait or difference of them makes God willing to protect them while he doesnt protect more vulnerable children.

dave_

Peace be on you.
It seems a 'question of suffering'
1=God Wills good for His creation.
2=Food, medicine or other factors are due to people. Troubles are either results of individual and societal reasons or they come as trial for getting blessings.
3=There is always a small percentage of individuals who will seem to suffer as though without justification. However, a closer more careful examination of such cases would reveal that there is no question of wilful injustice involved. They are merely an unavoidable by-product of the wide plan of creation, but they also play a meaningful role in the general advancement of human society.
4=IMHO, in depth it is - Question of suffering discussion - Please read its various aspects @
https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_2_section_6.html

So your answer to the question is no.Because according to his grand plan god may have not been able to avoid suffering for you.That was enough.

You said Food, medicine or other factors are due to people but how those 'd get distributed isnt.One can born rich or poor etc.That's gods plan again.

As i said your answer should be just no.No need to obscure/complicate it.

Edit:
Troubles are either results of individual and societal reasons
According to you "good" people tend to have good lives and vice versa.It is simply not true.Everyone suffers not just "bad" people.If one doesnt tend to punish onesself for being immoral one can live a better than a moral person life.It generally is the case.And again which society you are born to also is according to gods plan.According to abrahamic religions everything is what god willed/planned it to be.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How would you answer the question if physical harm was replaced with spiritual harm?
Do I think that God is protecting me from spiritual harm? That question? Yes, I believe God protects me from spiritual harm. I have experienced dummy slaps from Heaven. When it happens, I reconsider my way.