• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think God and jesus still talk to us using dreams still?

leov

16"but this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel:

17‘AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,’ God says,
‘THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND;
AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY,
AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS,
AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS;

18EVEN ON MY BONDSLAVES, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN,
I WILL IN THOSE DAYS POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT
And they shall prophesy." Acts 2

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

No. Those days are no longer here. When God used dreams in the past, it was to be recorded for our benefit in God’s word. They were specific dreams given to specific people for a specific reason.

Daniel for example was an interpreter of dreams and so was Joseph, whom his brothers sold into slavery. These events were an important part of Bible prophesy and God’s ability to foretell the future and guide the actions of his people accordingly.

In our day, when there is nothing recorded as scripture, there is no need for him to use dreams....we have God’s word instead. It tells us all about the times in which we are living, and about what will happen 1,000 years into the future.

A word of caution though....dreams can be used by the demons to alter our thinking, if we open ourselves up to their influence. We must not place undue meaning to them.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My answer is 'yes'. But along with that, two big questions: how can someone know that it's a true communication and not something else? And how can someone be sure they understand the meaning?

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @Frank Goad

Yes, of course God still communicates with mankind through dreams and revelations and other ways.

The communication of God to mankind by revelations is the principle that marks authentic religion in all generations of time. Mankind has as much need for communication from God as they ever have had. God still loves mankind and will still communicate with his children and certainly to those who have faith to expect answers to their prayers. You can expect that a loving and interested God will answer your prayers and communicate with you if you will exercise faith in him that he is capable and willing to do so.

Clear
ειακτζω

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
This is nothing.

I'm convinced I've talked to people on Facebook that if Jesus spoke to me, this is exactly what he'd say.

Nova2216

Does God still speak to men today through dreams?

No.

God has spoken. (Heb 1:1-3).

1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son,

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would bring to the apostles memory "all things" he spoke to them. (Jn 14:26) (Jn 16:13).

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

(2Peter 1:3) says -

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us "all things" that pertain unto life and godliness, ...

If God gave men "all things" then there is no more to say.

The Lord used "words" to instruct men how to be saved (Ac.2:40).

16 For I am not ashamed of "the gospel" of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation (Rom.1:16).

14 Who shall tell thee "words", whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. (Ac.11:14).

God has said all He is going to say.

Thanks

HonestJoe

My answer is 'yes'. But along with that, two big questions: how can someone know that it's a true communication and not something else? And how can someone be sure they understand the meaning?
I would have thought any god who wanted to get a specific message across could and would do it in a manner that was definitive, clear and not open to interpretation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would have thought any god who wanted to get a specific message across could and would do it in a manner that was definitive, clear and not open to interpretation.
The message might be clear, but the recipient might not be able to perceive the real message.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't know about dreams, but I do believe, and I experienced, "premonitions", although they weren't dreams.

I have been a long believer in Gandhi's approach on this, namely that if one keeps getting a strong feeling that they should do something, first judge it as to whether it's moral, and if you judge that it is, then do it and not make excuses not to. Following that advice for over 30 year now opened so many doors and experiences that I could never have imagined having.

Even though these "feelings" I repeatedly had weren't the result of dreams, it could be possible that some here might have them, and just maybe it's the Boss trying to tell them something.

HonestJoe

The message might be clear, but the recipient might not be able to perceive the real message.
We're talking about an all powerful god here. If they wanted to get a clear and specific message across to anyone, they could make that happen.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
We are all only humans. Our Holy Father is who speaks to us, as a spiritual being and he is very easy to hear.

Father is the first spirit that came out of the eternal, as the owner speech, words, meanings and references. When he died, his eternal spirit still speaks to us all, always had. Why we know he is real. As the only reference to He.

In science however the term He was given a falsification title of being stated ANTI, as He and El as Hell, and window to. As a scientific quote against self existing.

Why non spiritual selves without the love of humanity or the honour of brother and sister and natural life never hear him....their minds are filled with AI science quotes instead.

Good-Ole-Rebel

No. Those days are no longer here. When God used dreams in the past, it was to be recorded for our benefit in God’s word. They were specific dreams given to specific people for a specific reason.

Daniel for example was an interpreter of dreams and so was Joseph, whom his brothers sold into slavery. These events were an important part of Bible prophesy and God’s ability to foretell the future and guide the actions of his people accordingly.

In our day, when there is nothing recorded as scripture, there is no need for him to use dreams....we have God’s word instead. It tells us all about the times in which we are living, and about what will happen 1,000 years into the future.

A word of caution though....dreams can be used by the demons to alter our thinking, if we open ourselves up to their influence. We must not place undue meaning to them.

I disagree with you here. My opinion is this:

As @leov pointed out, (Acts 2:16-17),"...your daughters shall prophecy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." Thus the coming of the indwelling Holy Spirit would result in not just a select few who would prophecy, or receive visions, or receive dreams. It would be to all in whom the Holy Spirit dwelt.

None of these are to replace Scripture. That is not their purpose. And understand, this doesn't mean there are those who have the gift of interpretation of dreams. No such spiritual gift exists. But that is the point of all believers having the Holy Spirit. If God gives you a dream you will know it is from Him. And even if you don't know the meaning at that time, you will later. You don't need an interpreter.

When God gives you a dream it is for a present purpose and situation. Something concerning what you are going through or will go through. Something He maybe wants you to do or not to do. Something as a form of preparation of what you are about to go through.

But most dreams are just dreams. We do not seek them to know about God. As you say, we have the perfect Revelation in Scripture. But I do believe God does give us dreams at times.

Good-Ole-Rebel

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We should remember that the Holy Spirit was in progress giving individuals and the early Church guidance prior to the NT ever being penned. Also, most of us Christians tend to believe that the HS helped in the selection of the Bible most people use, which was canonized in the 4th century.

My point is not to underestimate the power and influence of the Holy Spirit.

pearl

We should remember that the Holy Spirit was in progress giving individuals and the early Church guidance prior to the NT ever being penned. Also, most of us Christians tend to believe that the HS helped in the selection of the Bible most people use, which was canonized in the 4th century.

That is so important for understanding, guided by the Spirit Jesus promised would come after him, that the NT is a product of the Church.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
As @leov pointed out, (Acts 2:16-17),"...your daughters shall prophecy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." Thus the coming of the indwelling Holy Spirit would result in not just a select few who would prophecy, or receive visions, or receive dreams. It would be to all in whom the Holy Spirit dwelt.

According to my understanding, that prophesy in Joel had application to those living in the last days of the Jewish system of things, which was destroyed in 70CE.
“After that it must occur that I shall pour out my spirit on every sort of flesh, and your sons and your daughters will certainly prophesy. As for your old men, dreams they will dream. As for your young men, visions they will see. And even on the menservants and on the maidservants in those days I shall pour out my spirit.” (Joel 2:28-29)
This is what was quoted by apostle Peter. And we know that at Pentecost of 33CE that it was fulfilled. But what of our time?

Paul said something interesting concerning the the gifts of the spirit in later times.......
After describing what "love" is...and what it isn't he said.....

"Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially, 10 but when what is complete comes, what is partial will be done away with."

Back then, they had these gifts as something temporary...to be done away with. The partial knowledge they had back then would be supplanted by knowledge that God would make "abundant" in this "time of the end". (Daniel 12:4) We today have the complete word of God and there is no longer any need for the 'miracles' that were seen in the first century. Why? Paul explains....

"11 When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, to think as a child, to reason as a child; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a child. . . . .Now, however, these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love."

When Christianity was in its infancy, there was need of miracles to demonstrate that God had shifted his favor to the followers of Jesus Christ.....otherwise he would have been just another false Messiah claiming to be something he wasn't. But once the miracles had had the desired effect, Paul explained that the need for these visible things were the "traits of a child"...a 'spiritual infant'. Paul used the illustration of a baby, at first needing "milk", but as they grow they need solid food or their growth would be stunted. Mature Christians now needed more than miracles to remain in the faith. This was demonstrated among the Jews when they were released for slavery in Egypt.....they had miracles every day and still failed to grow spiritually. You need a heartfelt connection to God, based on solid knowledge of his word and a strong desire to conquer the fallen flesh in order to remain faithful. Paul said that the three most important qualities a Christian must display are...."faith, hope and love". By this his true disciples would be identified. (John 13:34-35)

Without a doubt, those two verses, that Peter’s quoted on the day of Pentecost, are the best known part of Joel’s prophecy. (Acts 2:14-18) But they do not apply to our time for the reasons I have mentioned.

None of these are to replace Scripture. That is not their purpose. And understand, this doesn't mean there are those who have the gift of interpretation of dreams. No such spiritual gift exists. But that is the point of all believers having the Holy Spirit. If God gives you a dream you will know it is from Him. And even if you don't know the meaning at that time, you will later. You don't need an interpreter.

Well then, the gifts are nothing like those of the first century....but why would they be different if they are manifestations of the same holy spirit?

Paul again explains what the story is...."apostasy" was foretold to corrupt Christianity just as it had corrupted Judaism. That apostasy was "already at work" when the apostles were alive, but they were acting as a restraint, preventing it from taking over men's thinking. (2 Thessalonians 2:3-6) The recording of the Christian scriptures were still in progress. The last apostle John penned the last books.....and then the apostasy took off. Nothing written after the first century can be counted on to provide any guidance to the Christian congregations who continued to be influenced by the teachings of men. By the 4th century, the situation was ripe for the takeover of Christianity by the Roman Catholic Church.

2 Thessalonians 2:8-12....
"Then, indeed, the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will do away with by the spirit of his mouth and bring to nothing by the manifestation of his presence. 9 But the lawless one’s presence is by the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and wonders 10 and every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth in order that they might be saved. 11 That is why God lets a deluding influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness."

As the last days of the present system are upon us, we see that Christendom is nothing like the Christianity that Jesus and his apostles started. The "weeds" (tares) who were sown by the devil are now leading people away from God, rather than to him. The "signs and wonders" that are observed today are not from God but are those mimicked by the devil to deceive those who are still spiritual infants....falling for this "unrighteous deception".

Why does God allow people to be fooled? Because they don't love the truth....they prefer the lie. He will not interfere with our free willed choices.

When God gives you a dream it is for a present purpose and situation. Something concerning what you are going through or will go through. Something He maybe wants you to do or not to do. Something as a form of preparation of what you are about to go through.

I don't believe that God gives people today anything but the guidance from his word. Jesus promised to appoint a "faithful and wise slave" in these last days to "feed" his whole household their "food at the proper time". (Matthew 24:45) We have to find this "slave" and feed on what he is serving....that is what comes from Jesus. Those looking for 'miracles', faith healing and dreams will be fooled IMO. The devil takes advantage of spiritual babes because most people today have little to no knowledge.

But most dreams are just dreams. We do not seek them to know about God. As you say, we have the perfect Revelation in Scripture. But I do believe God does give us dreams at times.

Why would they be necessary when we have God's word? Dreams are a perfect avenue for the devil to deceive those who believe that God still uses such things....I don't believe he does because he doesn't need to.

This is not the age of miracles...it is the age of knowledge.God will guide sincere ones to that knowledge. (John 6:65)

That is how I see it....

Good-Ole-Rebel

@Deeje

Yes it was and is a promise to Israel. Just as the new-birth is a promise to Israel. Just as the New Covenant is a promise to Israel. (Jer. 31:31-34) And though Israel has not yet come into the experience of this New Covenant, she will. God is clear here. (Jer. 31:35-37)

Concerning Peter's quote of (Joel) you failed to give it all. Peter is clear that the coming of the Holy Spirit at that time was that which was prophesied by (Joel). (Acts 2:16) "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel" Thus the promise of prophesying, dreams, and visions given by the Holy Spirit, is for today.

Because you reject this ministry of the Holy Spirit to Christians today it is only natural that you would reject the gift ministry of the Holy Spirit to believers also. And I disagree with you here also. (1 Cor. 13:9-10) does not mean spiritual gifts have ceased today. They will cease when that which 'is perfect is come'. But that which is perfect is not the Bible. I'm not saying the Bible is not perfect. I'm saying that is not what is being addressed in (1 Cor. 13:10).

What is being addressed in (1 Cor. 13:10) is the complete mature unified Body of Christ. Paul is clear here when again he addresses the gifts of the Holy Spirit in (Ephesisans 4:7-16). (Eph. 4:13) "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ" That is an ongoing process by the Holy Spirit today of which the gifts are part of. (4:12)

As I have said, none of this removes the importance of Scripture. None of this will contradict Scripture. And of course satan can imitate such gifts as he imitates everything created by God. But we have the Holy spirit which will give discernment in that area.

God performs miracles in every age, so I don't understand your statement that this is not an age of miracles. We do not walk as Jesus did doing miracles left and right. But as children of God, miracles should and will occur in our association with one another and our gift ministry by the Holy Spirit. The gifts themselves are miraculous.

Good-Ole-Rebel