• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think climate change has a purpose?

Remté

Could it be in God's plan to cause it? Maybe He wants us to prevent it? To test us? Maybe it can't be prevented? Maybe it's just our slow distruction? Maybe it's nothing much.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Could it be in God's plan to cause it? Maybe He wants us to prevent it? To test us? Maybe it can't be prevented? Maybe it's just our slow distruction? Maybe it's nothing much.

Just my opinion, I don't think there is a purpose to anything, unless we consciously make a purpose for it. Stuff happens, we have to find a way to deal with whatever happens. Sometimes we find a purpose dealing with the stuff that happens.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The climate has changed considerably and often since this planet formed. In the past it has had natural causes. Perturbation in the orbit of earth, major volcanic events, even evolution.

The current phase of change has the unique property of being exasperated by mankind.

As the WWF has been saying recently.

"We are the first generation to realise we are ruining our planet and we are the last generation who can do anything about it"

Earthling

David Henson

Yes. A carbon based tax so that, in typical tax fashion, the struggling can pay the millionaires like Al Gore, while he has a sixteen room mansion and buzzes around the world in a private jet.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Could it be in God's plan to cause it? Maybe He wants us to prevent it? To test us? Maybe it can't be prevented?

I assume you mean the accelerating dramatic climate change caused by humans.

The basic question underneath the first and second questions has to do what we consider to be God's nature.

To me, the laws of nature, created by God, operate automatically. Add carbon to the atmosphere and the laws of physics dictate that more heat will be trapped. To deny this is to deny science because it's a fundamental property of nature.

So let's assume that God is, as it were, our Divine Parent, both mother and father. Does a parent sometimes allow a child to take a risk, make a mistake and learn from that mistake. I should hope so. From this perspective, God allows it to happen so we learn from the experience and become more "adult".

From a totally different perspective, we see that species evolve in response to changes in climate among other things. So another question is "does God want to cause an evolutionary change in species that will occur as the Earth warms"?

I could probably write a book about this topic. ;)

David T

Premium Member
The climate has changed considerably and often since this planet formed. In the past it has had natural causes. Perturbation in the orbit of earth, major volcanic events, even evolution.

The current phase of change has the unique property of being exasperated by mankind.

As the WWF has been saying recently.

"We are the first generation to realise we are ruining our planet and we are the last generation who can do anything about it"
Agreed. One thing I have come to realize it's a 100% science caused issue. Science is seeing it's behavior play out in the environment. The notion of science as all reasoned has played out as false based on the evidence empirically. One can deny it but then that is the causality. We are in a"Noah's ark moment in time, but that is way to difficult to understand scientifically.

Or it could be grandma's reading bronze age poetry on Sundays as the real culprit and problem? I don't think so... .

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It would be kind of nice to grow oranges in New York.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Agreed. One thing I have come to realize it's a 100% science caused issue. Science is seeing it's behavior play out in the environment. The notion of science as all reasoned has played out as false based on the evidence empirically. One can deny it but then that is the causality. We are in a"Noah's ark moment in time, but that is way to difficult to understand scientifically.

Or it could be grandma's reading bronze age poetry on Sundays as the real culprit and problem? I don't think so... .

Not entirely true

It is a human caused issue, humans have been burning fuel, "controlling" the land for thousands of years. One can find scapegoats if it makes one feel better about ones grandma burning forests to keep warm.

As for science, there are not enough scientists in the entire world to have an effect on the cause. However, humans, including your grandma are quite happy to use their car to go to the local shops and aways want the latest design of kitchen white goods, cell phone, jet travel etc.

Also not to forget the non sciency humans who are destroying rain forest so you cam have your latest piece of furniture.

Humans are also partial to the latest drugs to lengthen their life expectancy, and willingly accept the use of body scanners fo find that illusive cancer or terrorist.

Yes, science has made it easier and more convenient for humans to destroy the planet. They also cause a slow down in the rate of climate change by making ever more efficient ways for you to live.

They are also the only ones capable of providing solutions.

Just think, if you and billions like you didnt drive, refigerat food, use a cell phone or computer we would not be as close to destruction as we are.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Isnt it new York that is about to be drowned soon as the ice melts?
No, most of New York state is quite safe. Since the claim was that it would be nice to grow oranges in New York the context clearly meant the state and not the city. Florida on the other hand where we do grow oranges would be in quite a bit of trouble.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Purpose is created by humans through the stories they tell themselves about the world. As such, the purpose it has will depend on the mythological narratives humans craft around climate change. Those narratives will inevitably reflect the cultural backgrounds and values of those telling the story.

Some tell the tale that climate change is just a natural cycle and that humans have nothing to do with it. Such a tale implies that humans therefore have no responsibility in the course of events. Others might tell a similar tale only replacing it with "god's plan," which has the same implications for humans being off the hook. Others focus on the science pointing to humans being at fault, and spin a tale to reflect the importance of minding the human relationship with the non-human world. For some, it's an empowering and positive message where others will take the doom and gloom angle. There are also those who do not tell any story at all; climate change is not happening and therefore it is business as usual.

What story do you tell yourself about it?

Faithofchristian

Sure climate change has a purpose, to convince people to put more money in Democrats pockets.
As Democrats have talking climate change since back in the 1970s and still nothing has happened.
Its come down to be nothing more but a scam of Democrats to get money from the gullible.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
The purpose of climate change is to give science denying right-wingers something new to be wrong about. They've been wrong about pretty much every other scientific/environmental issue....evolution, acid rain, HIV, the ozone hole....this is just their latest folly.

JJ50

If god exists it would be a psycho if it encourages human activity to bring about devastating climate change. :mad: