• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think Christianity is a cult?Yes or no?And why or why not?

Frank Goad

Do you think Christianity is a cult?Yes or no?And why or why not? No.For me.Because I am Methodist.And I was literally raised Christian.But was baptized at 18.And became Methodist.Because that is were my heart lead me.:)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Do you think Christianity is a cult?Yes or no?And why or why not? No.For me.Because I am Methodist.And I was literally raised Christian.But was baptized at 18.And became Methodist.Because that is were my heart lead me.:)
I think some denominations are cultish. Take the Church of Christ: They think they are the original church of Jesus and are the only ones who will be in heaven.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It meets the very definition of a cult.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
No... it's the predominant religion in the entire world.
"A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader."
None of the definitions had number of adherents as important. With so many denominations, it's hard to judge the whole religion. I don't think it can be just yes or just no answer.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

A better question to ask is, what is a cult?

It is as ill defined as the word "religion" is.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A better question to ask is, what is a cult?

The word 'cult' can have a different meanings. Negative cults involve an authoritarian and manipulative leader, often separation from family & society and belief that the members are special for their beliefs. In addition there is a fear of questioning the beliefs because of reprisals. The Simpson's "Joy of Sect" episode is what I'm thinking of as a classic example.

From this there can be religious cults, political cults and even doomsday cults. But Christianity per se is not a cult.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
But Christianity per se is not a cult.

I don't disagree with this per se, but the rest I am hesitant on.

Where do we draw the line from positive/"right" - negative/"wrong" cultic influence?

What definition of "Cult" addresses both extremes of cultic behaviour?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The temple origin cult was Satanism...evil science.

Family groups in healer church was medical science versus conversion attack of life by the destroyer.

As science returned in governed life already controlled by religious dogma was how cult behaviours were introduced as new ideas in healer orders.

How governing became a religious topic.

The review human mis behaviour coercion threat was always before science or religion. Why we say you do an assessment of the group's activity. To determine a cult today.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
"A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader."
None of the definitions had number of adherents as important. With so many denominations, it's hard to judge the whole religion. I don't think it can be just yes or just no answer.
Unconventional can mean anything you want it to mean, therefore it's a meaningless statement.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
As a whole? No, it's too large.
As various denominations? No, they're too large.
Bubba Gump's Snake Handlin' Holy Rollers down about three miles outside Paris, AR? Absolutely.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't disagree with this per se, but the rest I am hesitant on.

Where do we draw the line from positive/"right" - negative/"wrong" cultic influence?

What definition of "Cult" addresses both extremes of cultic behaviour?

One neutral characteristic to me is veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

The East has a concept of of a spiritual figure called by various names such as guru, pir and murshid. Separating a true teacher from frauds and misguided individuals can be hard.

Reversing the negative traits, the leader of a positive cult would not be authoritarian or manipulative, would not tell members they're special, encourage people to use their minds, not engage in threats and reprisals, not manipulate people because of lust & greed.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
the leader of a positive cult would not be authoritarian or manipulative, would not tell members they're special, encourage people to use their minds, not engage in threats and reprisals, not manipulate people because of lust & greed

No modern religion is free from all of these.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The way I see it, the moment it becomes a cult it stops being Christian