• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Support Lowering The Federal Election Age to 16?

Do You Think The Federal Voting Age Should Be Lowered To 16

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
An attempt to limit anyone getting into office with an opposing political view. They already done a pretty good job of this by ballot harvesting. Imagine the untold resource of ballots to harvest from 16yos who may not even have a political interest.
You think Pelosi would propose this for political advantage?
Oh, you cynic.

74x12

Well it seems that Nancy Pelosi backs lowering the federal voting age to 16
From Source
"I, myself, personally -- I'm not speaking for my caucus -- I, myself, have always been for lowering the voting age to 16," Pelosi said. "I think it's really important to capture kids when they're in high school, when they're interested in all of this, when they're learning about the government, to be able to vote."
Yeah, they want more low information voters. If it was up to me the voting age would be increased to 30. And I've been saying that since 20 something; just so no one thinks I'm hypocritical about it. :D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From Source
"I, myself, personally -- I'm not speaking for my caucus -- I, myself, have always been for lowering the voting age to 16," Pelosi said. "I think it's really important to capture kids when they're in high school, when they're interested in all of this, when they're learning about the government, to be able to vote."
The woman definitely has bats in her belfry.

Skwim

Veteran Member
From Source
I don't think we need any more ill informed voters.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
From Source
I disagree with lowering the age. Think of the dumb 18 year olds out there. Now do the same thing with 16 year olds. No dice!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree with lowering the age. Think of the dumb 18 year olds out there. Now do the same thing with 16 year olds. No dice!

What about the dumb 50 year olds?

Maybe we should just forbid dumb people from voting, regardless of age.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
What about the dumb 50 year olds?

Maybe we should just forbid dumb people from voting, regardless of age.
Too much paper work. 18 is already established and it is my opinion that we do not have a need to adjust it at this time.

Daemon Sophic

I say set the age to vote at the most restrictive minimum age to purchase a handgun as determined by the most restrictive state laws. For example CA.
Except grant a waiver to those on active duty in the military. There, voting age would be the minimum age at which one can join the military. If you can die for your country you should have a say in who sends you to fight.
While I (oddly) agree with your sentiments on this issue, I tend to see one restriction to voting that should be added. Mental capacity. The targets of conmen almost invariably tend to be the elderly, because they are the ones who are vulnerable.
Senility should reach a measurable point that results in the loss of voting rights (and driving privileges).
< sits and waits for how this flies like a pile of bricks >

Edit: I’m agreeing that if they are old enough to join the military, then they are old enough to vote.....not the state by state thing.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As has been noted, age and maturity are two separate things. Some 12 year olds are more mature than some 50 year olds.

But given that the brain is still maturing even into the early 20's, 16 is too young for the vast majority of kids in spite of some getting married that young.

Rational Agnostic

Driving is dangerous immediately.
Voting is dangerous in the long term.

One person's vote, by itself, is not going to have an impact on anyone else's life. One person's driving very well could have a major impact on other lives. The driving age should definitely be higher than the voting age, and most 16 year olds are not actually mature enough to drive. I would say raise the driving age to 21 but for practical purposes, I think 18 is adequate.

Rational Agnostic

I voted no
-You can join the military at 18 so only those 18 and over should be able to choose who makes the decisions that will directly affect military personnel whether volunteering for service or not.

My solution is that politicians (in every country) who vote for wars should be required to fight in the wars that they vote for. I'll bet the world would be more a much more peaceful then.

Rational Agnostic

But it has an infinitesimally small effect upon an enormous population.

It doesn't have an effect, unless the election is decided by one vote. Posting on social media about politics has a far greater effect on the population than the act of voting. But either way, driving is a much more serious responsibility.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It doesn't have an effect, unless the election is decided by one vote.
In effect, you're saying that no vote matters except if a single vote matters.
Clearly, this is not a useful view of voting.
Instead, consider the reciprocal of number of voters multiplied by
the effect of leaders to arrive at the individual's probabilistic effect.