• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support big businesses?

Do you support big businesses

• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
When it isn't true. There will always be a small percentage of people who will think anything but generally it is not true. That makes it nonsense. There is certainly no animosity that I see from the upper class toward the lower classes and that is what is being argued. I just don't see a bit of evidence for it.

That is not true, I am poor. I am not condemned to poverty or working for starving wages. I put a little effort into my life and I am getting an education. My best friend is also dirt poor and he is finishing medical school.

This is America, go get a job and work hard and you can earn practically anything you want. Sit on your butt and complain and you'll get nowhere fast. I have yet to see a newspaper of any size that does not have pages and pages of want ads listing jobs available. If there are no jobs in your town, get on the freaking bus.

nobody in this country is condemned to poverty if they are able to work.

Unfortunately, the class situation in America is much more complex than this. The classes are more than simple economic divisions, they are subcultures. And, as with any cultural influence, it cannot be easily shaken off by one who wishes to. There is class movement, but the problem is that the lower classes must exist. Not everyone can (or may even want) be at the top.

But many do. The tension is high. The evidence is in the news. Gang violence, racial conflict, political upheaval: all are tied closely with social classes, of which big business plays a big part.

Ever wonder why "bling bling"--the street term for symbols of wealth--is so important in the gangsta culture? These folks exist with little prospect for wealth due to their social and economic upbringing (yes, they could get a job, but imagine how hard it is when you don't even have an address, decent clothes, or even enough education to speak or write properly), yet are bombarded with images from the media (run by big business) depicting the pleasures of the upper class. Desiring such a lifestyle, they turn to gangs, where money can be easily found in less than legal ways.

Those who can find jobs may only find the lowest paid jobs open to them, due to their economic situation. Living from paycheck to paycheck severly limits their potential for movement within the system.

Bishka

Veteran Member
nobody in this country is condemned to poverty if they are able to work.

How about this. My husband and I make way below the poverty line (from what I've been told); we didn't even have to file taxes this year because we didn't make enough. He works full time and I work part-time as much as my health will allow. There are some months we either choose rent or food. Luckily those months don't happen too often. We work, but we are still in poverty.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
How about this. My husband and I make way below the poverty line (from what I've been told); we didn't even have to file taxes this year because we didn't make enough. He works full time and I work part-time as much as my health will allow. There are some months we either choose rent or food. Luckily those months don't happen too often. We work, but we are still in poverty.

Both my fiance and I have Bachelor degrees, yet have found it hard to find good work in our area. We both have taken jobs that we don't necessarily enjoy in order to pay the rent, eat, and keep up with student loans.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Both my fiance and I have Bachelor degrees, yet have found it hard to find good work in our area. We both have taken jobs that we don't necessarily enjoy in order to pay the rent, eat, and keep up with student loans.

Understandable. In order for us to make rent we've relied on Pell Grants and Loans to keep us afloat, and we don't even own a car.

nutshell

Umm...you might want to check your taxes. You're required to file even if you don't owe any.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Umm...you might want to check your taxes. You're required to file even if you don't owe any.

Last year we had a professional check them and this year we called a professional. We weren't required to file them according to both.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Actually, a person with an AGI under a certain amount (5,000, I think?) doesn't have to file.

Yep. That's how sad it is...We don't even make that much a year. A job is a job for us. We hold on to what we have until something better open up. And that very rarely happens. Luckily my husband loves his job --- mine is hopefully changing soon.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Yep. That's how sad it is...We don't even make that much a year.

It's okay, Gentoo didn't have to file for that same reason. (I had her permission to post that!) I don't mind my job that much; I work for the government helping young people from low-economic situations get a job. It's not high paying, and not my dream job, but it works for me now. Unfortunately, Gentoo is less than happy with her employment...I have to keep her from going on a murderous rampage everytime she goes into work! ;)

nutshell

Last year we had a professional check them and this year we called a professional. We weren't required to file them according to both.

Well, I learn something new every day.

Even though you don't have to pay, are you eligible for any credits that would get you a refund?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Do you support big buisinesses

Why or Why not?

Neither. As an ardent free-market-dealie-person-enthusiast-thingie^, it would be remiss of me to arbitrarily support one form of business over any other on ideological or intellectual grounds. I support the free movement and exchange of wealth, labour, goods and services in whatever and whichever form(s) emerge and develop as best suited for a particular, competing economy.

^ I really need a new label for myself...

Bishka

Veteran Member
It's okay, Gentoo didn't have to file for that same reason. (I had her permission to post that!) I don't mind my job that much; I work for the government helping young people from low-economic situations get a job. It's not high paying, and not my dream job, but it works for me now. Unfortunately, Gentoo is less than happy with her employment...I have to keep her from going on a murderous rampage everytime she goes into work! ;)

Sounds a lot like me and my husband. I'm less then happy with my job (it's been an interesting semester), and I'm actually having an interview at another place in the morning *crosses fingers*.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Even though you don't have to pay, are you eligible for any credits that would get you a refund?

Nope. They took everything out of our paychecks apparently; and we get nothing back. Unlike quite a bit up here, we never had mommy and daddy to cover our backs. Even when I was single, I had to take out a loan to cover schooling costs. It's insane how much some of these children get from their parents. About a year and a half ago, I had a neighbor, who had been married about two years. I knew her for about six months. Her parents had just bought her a new car because she had totalled hers (and our apartments were in walking distance of pretty much everything), this was the third car within the time she had been married that they had totalled and the parents took care of it. The parents also took care of the cellphone bills and about once a month took their daughter on a oustanding shopping spree. This isn't just one person, single and married alike up here -- apparently think mommy and daddy will take care of them and they dont' have to do anything.

nutshell

Nope. They took everything out of our paychecks apparently; and we get nothing back. Unlike quite a bit up here, we never had mommy and daddy to cover our backs. Even when I was single, I had to take out a loan to cover schooling costs. It's insane how much some of these children get from their parents. About a year and a half ago, I had a neighbor, who had been married about two years. I knew her for about six months. Her parents had just bought her a new car because she had totalled hers (and our apartments were in walking distance of pretty much everything), this was the third car within the time she had been married that they had totalled and the parents took care of it. The parents also took care of the cellphone bills and about once a month took their daughter on a oustanding shopping spree. This isn't just one person, single and married alike up here -- apparently think mommy and daddy will take care of them and they dont' have to do anything.

If they're taking taxes out of your paychecks then you need to complete a W4 and claim exempt.

Bishka

Veteran Member
If they're taking taxes out of your paychecks then you need to complete a W4 and claim exempt.

We didn't realize it until too late in the year -- besides, we still wouldn't have made enough. I don't think there has been a single year that we've made over $5000 yet. Who knows, this year may be the year....:shout

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
The trouble is, comp, many of the dirt poor are already working one or two jobs. What of them?

I would be interested to see what they spend their money on. I have never needed two jobs to support myself, one has always done the trick... even when I was sweeping floors.

There are two columns in a ledger, the in and the out. Usually the problem is not with the in column when you have a job... people waste money on junk they don't need. I am always amazed when I drive past a trailer park and see the satallite dishes on all the trailers and the $30,000 cars in the driveway. No discipline whatever, I also bet they spend a fortune on beer and cigarettes and fast food and other frivilous expenses.

I have no tv service, we have one car, I haven't bought $200 worth of clothes for myself in the last 10 years. I haven't bought new shoes since high school. I don't throw things away that I can re-use. We cook meals instead of eating out, we buy our food and other things in bulk. You would be amazed with the things I have purchased from Deseret Industries.

work hard and don't blow your money...