• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Sing at your worship services?

Do you sing at worship services or when you are worshiping?

• Yes

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other(post it)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Bishka

Veteran Member
Do you sing at your worship services, or when you worship your creator? Why or why not?

"Is any merry? Let him sing" (James 5:13)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I sing because almost the entire Divine Liturgy is sung in the Orthodox Church. If I didn't sing I'd be standing around watching rather than participating which, given that liturgy means work of the people, would seem to be rather missing the point.

James

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
1 Make a joyful noise unto God, all the earth:
2 Sing forth the glory of his name: Make his praise glorious
I believe that music is an important part of our ministry, and that singing is an amazingly spiritual part of service because everyone participates.:162:

We sing traditional hymns from the hymnal, our choir(I'm a member) performs contemporary arrangements, and sometimes our youth coordinator pulls out his guitar so we can sing church camp songs. Make a joyful noise indeed.:D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Some services are said, especially the weekday communions... the rest are sung.
we have a good choir and organist.
Some times it's nice to be quiet.

Terry________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well actualy sometimes... I sing at the drum, sometimes just for fun, sometimes I sing specal songs that are for 'worship' purposes...

wa:do

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I am definitly a "do-wop" Christian! :D

Psalm 100

A psalm. For giving thanks.

1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.

3 Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name. 5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations. NIV

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I lip sync. I move my mouth, but nothing comes out. There is not much difference between my singing and the sound a cat would make if skinned alive. If I sang, God would put his hands over his ears and send me straight to hell! :eek:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I used to sing when I went to church. I love the Hymnal... I have my reasons... I worship in silence

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was the only that clicked No. Whether I'm alone, or the rare occasions I'm with a coven, I don't like singing that much. I like to play my bass guitar, but not sing. Even when I went to church, I didn't sing.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i love to sing at my shul...
i especially love the more traditional melodies from the members of our Orthodox congregation

Aqualung

Tasty
Well, mormons sing. Pretty much all the time. I, however, do not. I didn't have the "previlage" of being made to sing as soon as I could talk, so I haven't developed my skills as much as the average 5 year old mormon. So I pretty much feel waaaay too self-concious and rediculous singing in the company of mormons. For this reason, I checked "other"

jonny

Aqualung said:
Well, mormons sing. Pretty much all the time. I, however, do not. I didn't have the "previlage" of being made to sing as soon as I could talk, so I haven't developed my skills as much as the average 5 year old mormon. So I pretty much feel waaaay too self-concious and rediculous singing in the company of mormons. For this reason, I checked "other"
I wasn't gifted with a fantastic singing voice either. I can carry a tune though. I just sing quietly.

I haven't been to many other churches, but Mormons do sing a lot. We sing three or four hymns during our Sacrament services. There is also a hymn or two in Sunday School and Priesthood/Relief Society classes. Family Home Evening always started and ended with a hymn in my family also. I always volunteer to play the piano when possible so that I don't have to sing. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
dawny0826 said:
It's one of my favorite parts of our worship service. We rock out to contemporary Christian. :)
I'll bet you guys really do. :D I've never been to a Pentacostal service, but I'd be willing to bet it's one joyous event!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mostly I "mouth" -- or if the melody falls within my something-less-than-an-octive range -- I'll sing! :jiggy:

M

Majikthise

When I attended church (Episcapalian)we sang a lot, but everyone would shuffle out while the huge pipe organ played. My family and I would be the last ones there still listening to that beautiful music.:bounce I miss that part.

BruceDLimber

Greetings, greetings!

Very much so, yes!

I sing any time, anywhere, at any excuse! :) :)

And I encourage others to do likewise.

Indeed, the Baha'i scriptures explicitly praise music and singing, and eagerly encourage these!

Best,

Bruce

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
jonny said:
I haven't been to many other churches, but Mormons do sing a lot. We sing three or four hymns during our Sacrament services. There is also a hymn or two in Sunday School and Priesthood/Relief Society classes. Family Home Evening always started and ended with a hymn in my family also. I always volunteer to play the piano when possible so that I don't have to sing. :D
That would have seemed a lot when I was a Protestant but not now. We sing everything except the Creed and the Lord's Prayer (and sometimes the latter, too) and the Liturgy lasts 1.5 - 2 hours. Even the readings are sung (though obviously not by the whole congregation), though the homily (sermon, if you like) isn't. We also don't use any musical instruments, so out of tune singers can be heard clearly, that still doesn't stop them singing, which I like. We're supposed to be praising God, not putting on a concert.

James