• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you see Doom, Barbarism, and Disaster in our future

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Mostly curious about what others think

Peter Kreeft Predicts Doom, Barbarism, and Disaster for Our Culture.

I’ve been predicting doom for our culture for about a decade. I just don’t see it as escapable. But a teeny tiny little piece of me was always hoping I was wrong. Just a teeny tiny one.

But now that I see Peter Kreeft is saying the same thing, that teeny tiny piece just died.

“We are hobbits facing orcs,” says Catholic author Peter Kreeft. “There’s horrendous stuff in the future…but it’s a fixed fight.”

God sent us into a battlefield, not a garden.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not "seeing it", but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Sooner or later capitalism is going to choke the global economy and/or push so many people into poverty that they will have no choice but to revolt. And either way, this could easily lead to such a catastrophic cultural collapse as could be described as "doom, barbarism, and disaster". What is especially scary is that so many of us living in modern complex societies no longer have the ability to survive without an ordered, structural, functioning supply system. And if that ever collapses, the result will be horrific, and very quick. Global warming, I think, will bring on ominous difficulties; increased droughts, increasingly powerful storms, increasing weather extremes, rising seas, and so on. But they will happen slowly enough that we can at least see them coming, and move out of the way, or prepare for them. But a supply chain collapse will bring on disastrous effects very quickly. And there is no way to avoid them.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I actually listened to the entire video and find the title of the thread not to be accurate. He used "might be" to mention possible futures including "not with a bang but with a whimper", But that was not the question you asked.

My answer is first that he's clearly looking at what is going on from the perspective of Christianity which I find limiting. Some of what he no doubt considers decay I find to be the opposite: LGBTQ+ rights, for example. Some other bits about the decay in morality/ethics that we see in society he accurately referred to.

And in general what I see is the dissolving of old structures of life. In the "The Song of the Avatars" by the New Troubadours this is expressed as: To shatter forms enslaving men
To let a newer world be born.
But it's much much more than that. The unprecedented changes have been noted by many, sometimes in words and sometimes in an image:

The age now closing stretches back trillions of years to the very moment of Creation. Its completion signals the end of humanity’s spiritual childhood and adolescence. The age now dawning, equally vast, is to usher in Creation’s long-foretold maturity. We are at the threshold of a new cosmic beginning, a New Creation, characterized by new principles and a new consciousness of the unity and divinity of life never held on earth before. https://www.sufismreoriented.org/murshida-conner-talks

Beginning_awakening.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One thing that I and many others tend to forget are the small acts of people that show another side of the current situation.

50 Times People Were So Wholesome And Chivalrous They Had To Be Praised Online

One example from that web page to counterbalance the negative cops:

After A Woman Was Taken To The Hospital With Hypoglycemia, Two Policemen Stayed To Prepare Dinner For The Five Kids Who Were Still In The House And Did The Dishes

chivalry-still-exists-pictures-17-63721dc69440c__700.jpg

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Certainly man sees doom/ disaster for our culture because man's doom-and-gloom Doom's Day Clock has its hands set close to striking the dark midnight hour.

Whereas, in God's time clock there is the wonderful coming 1,000 year day for Jesus to govern over Earth.
Govern over Earth in order to undo all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon humanity.
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I think that generally speaking, over the long haul, things are actually improving. We are far less violent than say in the year 1000. We are far more democratic than 200 years ago. We have passed laws to protect civil rights. We experience the benefits of the women's movement. Domestic violence and child molestation are actually taken seriously now. Our lives have so much more ease because of technology, and we suffer less and live longer due to modern medicine.

But progress is two steps forward one step back. I believe that we are currently going through a one step back phase. Poor environmental care is causing problems that are now coming to a head. Rudeness and violence are more common than say, 40 years ago. The country is so polarized that our government is no longer able to do its job. We had a malignant narcissist fascist try to take over the country in a coup, and his claims of election fraud will undermine voter confidence for decades to come. Around the world, racism and antisemtism are at 1939 levels again, and fascist states are spreading, whether it is Italy or Hungary or whatever. We have an empire wannabe in Russia, which has begun a war that threatens to turn into ww3.

We'll see how it turns out.