• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really believe in god?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
No, not even that. If you've got the title, though, I'd look it up online.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/118248453144390.xml&coll=7

First Unitarian is the one I tried, yeah. It's a bit too traditional for me, though. My old congregation spoiled me - instead of sermons and hymns, we had lectures and discussions about comparative religion/ mythology and analyses of sacred texts. I miss that so much. :(
lol, so we've got a "believer" of sorts (yes, I know you don't like to be called theist) who wants lectures and analyses and an atheist (spiritually inclined) who wants ritual and liturgy. The Spirit has a sense of humour. :p

I've heard Rev. Sewell twice, and I think she's a great preacher. They're sermons, but intelligent sermons. She preached at my church on Easter Sunday, where she went through what the "Resurrection" really meant, true to the Easter story, without a hint of "supernaturalism."

I wasn't too fond of First Unitarian's "bell choir" tho, which they shared with us during Sunday worship. :areyoucra Sorry but, All Souls has better music. :cool:

I hear you guys are growing by leaps and bounds. We are too.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
lol, so we've got a "believer" of sorts (yes, I know you don't like to be called theist) who wants lectures and analyses and an atheist (spiritually inclined) who wants ritual and liturgy. The Spirit has a sense of humour. :p
Doesn't it, though?

I've heard Rev. Sewell twice, and I think she's a great preacher. They're sermons, but intelligent sermons. She preached at my church on Easter Sunday, where she went through what the "Resurrection" really meant, true to the Easter story, without a hint of "supernaturalism."
Oh, they're definitely wonderful sermons. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm looking for. Or they could at least mix it up a bit, instead of the Christian flavor every week.... I do love liturgy and ritual, too, I just want more diversity

I wasn't too fond of First Unitarian's "bell choir" tho, which they shared with us during Sunday worship. :areyoucra Sorry but, All Souls has better music. :cool:

I hear you guys are growing by leaps and bounds. We are too.
Oh there's different music every week, and it's kind of a crapshoot. They do have a guy who sings occasionally, and he's got one of the most beautiful baritones I've ever heard....

"You guys"? You mean Portland UUs? Where are you, anyway?

ETA: Interesting article. Thanks!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Or they could at least mix it up a bit, instead of the Christian flavor every week.... I do love liturgy and ritual, too, I just want more diversity
Oh that I agree with. :yes: I personally don't want graduate level seminars in my worship service. I can easily get that elsewhere. But I do wish that when we have sermons it's more than just the Christian tradition. I love the Christian tradition. I just love a lot of other traditions as well. As far as I can tell, UU congregations are either Humanist or Christian. I want true pluralism! :149:

We do get it every now and then, and when we do it's divine. On one particular Sunday, the guest preacher talked about what it's like to be both Hindu and a UU, and our choir for that week (we have three choirs) led us in a Hindu chant. It was wonderful.

"You guys"? You mean Portland UUs? Where are you, anyway?

ETA: Interesting article. Thanks!
Sorry, yes, I meant that I hear First Unitarian Church of Portland is growing. They did a thing at General Assembly about how the congregation is building a community center next to the church. I'm in DC, attending All Souls Church, Unitarian.

What does ETA mean? The only thing I can think of is "estimated time of arrival." :p

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh that I agree with. :yes: I personally don't want graduate level seminars in my worship service. I can easily get that elsewhere. But I do wish that when we have sermons it's more than just the Christian tradition. I love the Christian tradition. I just love a lot of other traditions as well. As far as I can tell, UU congregations are either Humanist or Christian. I want true pluralism! :149:
EXACTLY!:yes:

I should have mentioned that my old congregation didn't skip services completely. We had a Catholic priest, several Protestant ministers, two Rabbis, and a Wiccan High Priestess from CUUPS who all led services for their native faiths regularly, but the main Sunday service was centered around the more academic discussions I mentioned earlier. It was awesome, and IMHO, if Lubbock freakin Texas could manage that, the Portland UU community has no excuse not to. :sarcastic

(Note: See now why I view UUism as "more an interfaith community than a religion"?)

What does ETA mean? The only thing I can think of is "estimated time of arrival."
Hee. Sorry, it's from another board. "Edited To Add:"

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Then, what was the necessity of sending the child to the world for just two months? What did Allah or the child achieve by its two-months stay in the world? You don't get paradise right away, there is a long wait. There is no body to raise the child from, it is eaten by the fish in the sea. You mean a pleasure of two months and a sorrow for the rest of life for others. My mother still grieves for my lost brother after forty years.

One can be responsible and loving even without the fear of Allah and hell. We should understand our responsibility to the society or the country we live in. Or do you mean to say that all non-believers are irresponsible, cruel, wicked, anti-social; and being good is the prerogative of only the believers?

Because you or I may or may not know to what ends the life span of a two month old has, doesn't mean it had no purpose.

As for sorrow of others at the passing away of loved ones, doesn't everyone do that? Is it confined to losing a child? I think not.

As for non-believers being irresponsible or whatever, those were your words. i would appreciate it if you wouldn't attribute them to me though. You make your statements, and I'll make mine thank you.

spiritually inclined

Here are a couple of links on the twins studies:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1374/is_6_59/ai_57800244/pg_2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity

There is also a really interesting article about the genetic predisposition to spirituality. Here is a quote and source:

Studying the nine candidate genes in DNA samples provided by his subjects, Hamer quickly hit the genetic jackpot. A variation in a gene known as vmat2—for vesicular monoamine transporter—seemed to be directly related to how the volunteers scored on the self-transcendence test. Those with the nucleic acid cytosine in one particular spot on the gene ranked high. Those with the nucleic acid adenine in the same spot ranked lower. "A single change in a single base in the middle of the gene seemed directly related to the ability to feel self-transcendence," Hamer says. Merely having that feeling did not mean those people would take the next step and translate their transcendence into a belief in—or even a quest for—God. But they seemed likelier to do so than those who never got the feeling at all.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101041025-725072,00.html

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How is "God is a jerk" a reason to not believe? It's a reason to not follow God, perhaps even to condemn God, but not a reason to not believe in God's existence.
I never said 'God is a jerk' because I do not believe in existence of a God, and for the same reason I have no necessity to condemn God..

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Despite my atheism, I still have strong religious inclinations, as my screen name implies. But I don't know what to do with them as of now. James
This is your bondage (Bandhan in Sankrit). You can live with it or if you aspire for truth you can discard it. I know smoking is bad but I still continue to smoke.

spiritually inclined

Confirming, no. Disputing, also no. What I don't get is why you "think it is clear that such experiences have their origin in the brain". Assume for the sake of argument that there is an objective spirituality. Can you think of one reason why it wouldn't have exactly the same affect?
You make an interesting point here. As for the differences in mystical experiences and having origins in different parts of the brain...I think if one mystical experience is valid, the other one should be valid, too. I do not trust the objective validity of spiritual experiences produced in the temporal lobe because stimulations of the temporal lobe do not always convey reality accurately (body distortions). So, a similar mystical experience may occur in another part of the brain, but why would one mystical experience be real and the other false?

You make a point in that there COULD be a spiritual reality that matches these mystical experiences, but at this point I see no reason to think that. Given the fact that some humans seem to be more predisposed to religiosity/spirituality than others -- see above links -- speculating on such matters may be an outgrowth of our genetic hardwiring. For example, there is a part of the brain in the temporal lobe that becomes active when one thinks of God and matters of faith -- this same area becomes hyperactive during seizures. Perhaps we would not have a God concept were it not for this part of the brain being there. But then we get into the chicken or egg argument -- which came first, God or the brain?

Though I consider myself an atheist, I am not a strong atheist. I am a soft, or agnostic atheist. I do not have all knowledge or experience, and I therefore cannot in good conscience proclaim absolutely that there is no god. And I believe you are right in that mystical experience neither confirms nor disproves a spiritual reality, though I see no reason to believe that such experiences have their origins anywhere other than the brain.

My atheism is a lack of belief rather than an active disbelief. At this point I simply don't have good reasons to believe in God, and I am further hesitant to believe in a god due to the fact that it may be human nature to contemplate and believe in such concepts due to our genes and brain, even without sufficient objective evidence.

I've found this to be an interesting discussion and am not offended by those who challenge my conclusions. I do not wish to be a fundamentalist of any stripe. I've gone through may beliefs....

James

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You make an interesting point here. As for the differences in mystical experiences and having origins in different parts of the brain...I think if one mystical experience is valid, the other one should be valid, too. I do not trust the objective validity of spiritual experiences produced in the temporal lobe because stimulations of the temporal lobe do not always convey reality accurately (body distortions). So, a similar mystical experience may occur in another part of the brain, but why would one mystical experience be real and the other false?
Oh, absolutely, but seizures and hallucinations aren't mystical experiences themselves, they're biological malfunctions. I don't deny that the malfunctions can possibly, occasionally trigger a mystical state, but they're not the same thing. Neurotheology shows that quite clearly. I'm a bit bewildered as to why you're lumping them together.

You make a point in that there COULD be a spiritual reality that matches these mystical experiences, but at this point I see no reason to think that.
And why would you? You're an atheist. :) That's my entire point, really. The science - all science - provides no convincing evidence for or against God.

Given the fact that some humans seem to be more predisposed to religiosity/spirituality than others -- see above links -- speculating on such matters may be an outgrowth of our genetic hardwiring.
Thank you kindly for the links. I'll read them when I'm done here.

Something that ties in to that nicely is Smith's notion of spiritual personality types. I strongly suggest reading his book, Why Religion Matters: The Fate of the Human Spirit in an Age of Disbelief, but I found an interview that touches on the idea as well.

Excerpt:
Some people are what you might call polytheistic in the sense that a more finite God rivets their attention as opposed to an abstract, universal deity.
MK: Do you mean that they need a 'personal' God?
HS: That's right. This notion of spiritual 'personality type' feels original to me because I haven't picked it up anywhere else. You can study all the major religions - Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism - and slice them as traditions. Additionally, cutting the other way and across all of them are these recurring four spiritual personality types.
The first is the atheist for whom the obvious, the mundane, is all there is. And you find those people everywhere. You even find the atheist in tribal/oral cultures; and as you know, there are some who are just 'meat-and-potatoes' people. (laughs)
And then you get the type we were just talking about, the polytheists. These are people who really come to life religiously in the broadest sense in terms of concrete spirits. For example, each shaman in a tribe has their own personal 'guide,' a spirit that helps, guides, and empowers them. But there's no thought that this guide is the only spirit or that this personal spirit created the world.
So we've got the atheists and the polytheists. Then come the monotheists where it all comes together in a single universal being, but it's a personal God. You mentioned this person earlier.
Beyond these three spiritual types you get the mystics where again there is a 'world spirit' However, for the mystic the personal imagery of the monotheist becomes too anthropomorphic to really seem real.
So I'll give you a little test. On one hand you have the atheist who believes in no God. Next there's the polytheist that has many Gods, and after this person is the monotheist who has one personal God. Now the test: What does the mystic say?
MK: Can I answer with an analogy?
HS: By all means.
MK: For me, a rough analogy would be that the universe is composed of spirit that is analogous to an amorphous block of 'clay.' The 'clay' can be used to make a beautiful figure or pot, or to create something hideous or disgusting. Everything is created from this material, nice people, bad people, beautiful sunsets, and natural disasters. The mystic sees the clay as the creative stuff of the universe, inert in the sense of not having intrinsically dualistic qualities of good or bad - what Huang Po might call the 'One Mind' or the pregnant void from which all things are possible. In short, it is the spirit or stuff that permeates the entire matrix of our universe, both manifest and unmanifest.
HS: I'll mount the ladder again. Atheists have no God. The polytheists have many Gods and the monotheists have one personal God. The mystic - only God.

For example, there is a part of the brain in the temporal lobe that becomes active when one thinks of God and matters of faith -- this same area becomes hyperactive during seizures. Perhaps we would not have a God concept were it not for this part of the brain being there. But then we get into the chicken or egg argument -- which came first, God or the brain?
To me, the more important question is: if God doesn't exist, why would our brains perceive that it does?

The thing that I find astonishing - even as a believer - is that trance states are described almost identically across cultural and religious lines. When I trance, I'm having the same basic experience as a Hindu mystic on the other side of the world, with a totally alien cultural framework. Despite that vast difference in framework, we could sit down and discuss our experiences and understand one another. Such an elegant mystery, no? :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
To me, the more important question is: if God doesn't exist, why would our brains perceive that it does?
Because belief in/experience of God is somehow beneficial for reproduction and/or survival.

Or it could be a side product of some other trait that is beneficial.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Because belief in/experience of God is somehow beneficial for reproduction and/or survival.

Or it could be a side product of some other trait that is beneficial.
Well, yes, but what and why?

What side effect of an all-too-often violent and destructive false belief would be so necessary as to make that frequently malignant belief nearly universal to the species? Why would no single civilization or isolated ethnic group develop an alternative source of that benefit?

kmkemp

If religion was a defense mechanism, wouldn't it make sense that all religious beliefs would have a positive effect on our survival? That hardly seems to be the case.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate

What side effect of an all-too-often violent and destructive false belief would be so necessary as to make that frequently malignant belief nearly universal to the species?
I don't know. But then I also don't know "why" a male robin's chest is red and not blue. I don't know "why" our eyes are designed inside-out. And I don't know "why" we have appendices. Science doesn't answer why.

Why would no single civilization or isolated ethnic group develop an alternative source of that benefit?
Maybe it's a trait that is necessary for (or the by-product of something necessary for) human brain function. The genetic differences between ethnic groups are really quite small so I don't see why it's significant that this isn't a variant. (If it really isn't. We're kind of assuming it's universal.)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't know. But then I also don't know "why" a male robin's chest is red and not blue. I don't know "why" our eyes are designed inside-out. And I don't know "why" we have appendices. Science doesn't answer why.
It answers little "why"s. We have appendices because they used to be a vital organ - a second stomach, iirc. They just haven't gone away yet. Still, I should have phrased it better, my apologies.

What component or byproduct of God-belief (not [organized] religion, because I consider that to be a byproduct) is necessary to our species, and what function could it possibly serve?

Maybe it's a trait that is necessary for (or the by-product of something necessary for) human brain function. The genetic differences between ethnic groups are really quite small so I don't see why it's significant that this isn't a variant. (If it really isn't. We're kind of assuming it's universal.)
1) I was pointing to the long-term isolation rather than the genetic variation. The Australian aboriginies, for the best example.

2) God-belief is universal on a large scale, though not the individual. To my knowledge, and that of everyone else I've posed the question to, there has never been an atheistic nor even agnostic civilization.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

What side effect of an all-too-often violent and destructive false belief would be so necessary as to make that frequently malignant belief nearly universal to the species? Why would no single civilization or isolated ethnic group develop an alternative source of that benefit?

Obedience to authority is an important survival trait for children. It is important that they believe their elders when told that something is poisonous, or to stay away from that cliff, or out of the water that has dangerous currents, or to avoid certain animals etc. These are like parental commandments. I think it reasonable that some religious ideas are the side product of this beneficial trait. Keep in mind that in terms of natural selection it is important that children survive to a point of sexual maturity and pass on their genes. What may be good for the individual or society after that point is secondary.

In addition to this the recognition of authority, which in the past has often been religious authority, can have the beneficial of creating an organized society.

And it can also have the “benefit” of creating and preserving a cultural identity. Notice that in this case I used quotes for the word “benefit” because I think this is often the issue. A strong cultural identity can sometimes be a benefit for that culture, but it can also be harmful if it prevents cooperation or promotes violence with other groups. It is this tendency to create divisions that are often malignant and seem to have a negative affect on survival. But again remember that natural selection is not a perfect filter, it is blind to the future and often selects traits that seem to be beneficial in the sort term but in the long run lead to the extinction of a species.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
fantôme profane;867031 said:
Obedience to authority is an important survival trait for children. It is important that they believe their elders when told that something is poisonous, or to stay away from that cliff, or out of the water that has dangerous currents, or to avoid certain animals etc. These are like parental commandments. I think it reasonable that some religious ideas are the side product of this beneficial trait. Keep in mind that in terms of natural selection it is important that children survive to a point of sexual maturity and pass on their genes. What may be good for the individual or society after that point is secondary.

In addition to this the recognition of authority, which in the past has often been religious authority, can have the beneficial of creating an organized society.

And it can also have the “benefit” of creating and preserving a cultural identity. Notice that in this case I used quotes for the word “benefit” because I think this is often the issue. A strong cultural identity can sometimes be a benefit for that culture, but it can also be harmful if it prevents cooperation or promotes violence with other groups. It is this tendency to create divisions that are often malignant and seem to have a negative affect on survival. But again remember that natural selection is not a perfect filter, it is blind to the future and often selects traits that seem to be beneficial in the sort term but in the long run lead to the extinction of a species.
Fair points, but God-belief is not necessary, nor even largely relevant to any of that. Indeed, as you pointed out, it's aid to cultural identity is at least as detrimental as beneficial.

As far as recognition of authority goes, that's not necessarily part of belief/ religion. Buddhism, for example, teaches that it's something to be overcome.

For the sake of discussion,

1) There is no God

2) God-belief is nonetheless a necessary trait, as evidenced by evolution

I have yet to be presented with any hypothesis that adequately (to me) explains (2).

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Fair points, but God-belief is not necessary, nor even largely relevant to any of that. Indeed, as you pointed out, it's aid to cultural identity is at least as detrimental as beneficial.

As far as recognition of authority goes, that's not necessarily part of belief/ religion. Buddhism, for example, teaches that it's something to be overcome.

For the sake of discussion,

1) There is no God

2) God-belief is nonetheless a necessary trait, as evidenced by evolution

I have yet to be presented with any hypothesis that adequately (to me) explains (2).

Sorry but I can’t accept the second proposition, that “God-belief is nonetheless a necessary trait, as evidenced by evolution”. I don’t believe that this is evidenced by evolution. It could be argued that God believe is a beneficial trait, as evidenced by evolution. But that is quite a different thing. You are quite correct when you say there has never been an atheistic or agnostic civilization, or at least I don’t know of one either. But I would remind you that there have always been atheists or agnostics, or sceptics or doubters or whatever term would apply. There has always been a segment of “non-believers” evident in every civilization. Given this it seems to me that the atheistic trait is also a beneficial trait (or the side effect of a beneficial trait), else it would not have survived.

You mention Buddhism, and to this I would point out that “God-belief” is not a necessary part of Buddhism. I would also point out that obedience to authority is actually a major part of most Buddhist cultures. You are correct of course that it is taught as something to be overcome, eventually. But it is also taught that obedience to authority is a useful tool, to be abandoned only when it ceases to be useful.

But still I fear I am not addressing the main point here.

You referred to “God-belief” as being universal on the large scale. By this I interpret you to mean that within every large group we will find those who believe in “God”. Now I don’t want to sound like logdog here, but I would say that not all those who believe in “God” have actually experienced “God”. I would say that the experience of “God” is less common than we may tend to think (I would not hazard a guess as to how uncommon it is). It would seem that the experience of “God” (a mystical experience) is common enough to inspire a belief in “God” in the majority. And I think it is because of this innate obedience to authority that I mentioned that this belief may be accepted by a majority, and further because of the effect of creating a organized coherent society that this belief is encouraged.