• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you prefer to be alone or around people?

Ori

Angel slayer
I'm more of a loner, I always have been, I find that I don't have much in common with others.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
It really depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I crave the company of others, but if there are too many people in a small space (like when all my family is in one room), the noise gets too much, my stress levels go up, and I just want to be alone. My alone time keeps me sane lol. It's a good thing I don't hate being alone, cause I live on my own...if you don't count the cat. :p

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I like to have company if it's not really loud or annoying. I put up with way too much noise and annoyance on a daily basis to be able to put up with it from my friends... sometimes I just need alone time either way, though.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have never been comfortable in large groups.
But quite happy in family sized groups of 3or4
work situations and large meetings are no problem not even if I am to speak.
I just have a preference for small social groups.
But I have no trouble putting up with my own company either.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I like both equally; But if it's company, that needs to be (ideally) three or for people - and this may sound sexist, but I'd rather a group of women.:)

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
michel said:
...and this may sound sexist, but I'd rather a group of women.:)
Not at all...when I was at Uni, my core group of friends were all guys. It was great being treated like 'one of the boys' -- I could burp, fart, swear, tell a dirty joke...and none of them cared. Mind you, I could do that in the company of my two close female friends a few years later too. Thinking about it, I don't think I have anyone I'd feel comfortable farting in the company of anymore. How sad lol.

This thread reminded me of a poem I wrote once. The first two lines were:

"I am not a social animal,
Although sometimes it's nice to pretend"

That pretty much sums me up.

ayani

oh, i like people. i used to be awfully shy in high school, but i've learned that not all people in the world are high school students and that many are pretty fun to talk to.

i also live in a place where friendliness and a casual attitude are part of the local culture, so it makes being friendly alot easier.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I like a little time to myself sometimes, but if I don't get to hang with my friends I start to crack up after a while. My friends are my life really.

The Black Whirlwind

I love being alone. I can spend days sequestered in my room, reading, playing solitaire, watching the tube... I like small gatherings, sometimes, but i prefer being alone.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
orichalcum said:
I'm more of a loner, I always have been, I find that I don't have much in common with others.
I'm a loner. If it wasn't for my wife (the social butterfly), I would probably be locked in my house all day playing video games or working on my car.

turk179

I smell something....
I am a little shy at times (Draka would crack up at that comment.) O.k. I am quite a bit shy around new people and it might seem like I don't like to be around people but I do. But I also like alone time also. So I guess you could say I like a mixture.

QTpi

Mischevious One
I enjoy both. When I'm with others, I much prefer small groups as opposed to a lot of people. I am definitely not a "crowd" person. I like to be able to enjoy the company of the people I am with and I can't do that when they are too many. Quiet times are essential for my sanity!

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Too much of anything can be a bad thing. Same for being alone or around people. You go too much of either and you will start to wish for the other. Just human nature.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
orichalcum said:
Do you prefer to be alone or around people?
Depends on the people..... there are a very few people I would rather hang out with than be alone, but since it's not mutual I just end up being alone.

I accepted for years that I was destined to be a loner. I'm working on once again being at peace with that destiny.

cardero

Citizen Mod
orichalcum said:
I find myself a loner as well. I am constantly busy and alot of my goals are solo pursuits. This puts many people off. I have learned the value of being alone and many people would be surprise at just how much one can accomplish when they are by themselves. When I do prefer company, I prefer the companionship of women, I find that I have more in common with women than I do with men.

anders

Difficult question. I often tell myself that I'm lucky having no wife, no kids, no dog, no house to bother with, so that I can concentrate on languages and religious studies. But I see mother, living in the same house, at least 10 times a week, and when one of my sisters/nephews/nieces visits her, which is fairly often, I fake some reason for popping down (3rd to 1st floor in my next younger sister's house) to see them as well.

And I now find myself trying to convince a former study mate that it would be a good idea for her to have, like from here, no more than walking distance to the university for our 3rd semester Chinese.

So it's not crowds, but special people for me.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Todd said:
I'm a loner. If it wasn't for my wife (the social butterfly), I would probably be locked in my house all day playing video games or working on my car.
Ah, you have a wife like mine, who drags me out of the "Study" (ie the room in which my computers are), by constant nagging?

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
I love being around my friends and family. Weekend BBQ's and card games are great! But I don't get the oppotunity to do it as much now that we all have growing families of our own. I miss it, but we do try to get together when we can.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
As others have said, it really depends on my mood and the type of people I might be around. A room full of you guys? (Assuming that you're anything near as fabulous as you are here on RF.) Anytime!