• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you practice Atma vichara?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've heard Ramanashram has sadly become a place of nostalgia and discussion. I still can't understand why people want to look at Ramana (manifestation of the end result for all of us) rather than looking at how He got to that point. It's kind of like staring at the top of the mountain, wishing you were up there, but having no idea how to actually climb it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To be pulled back into this existence is abolutely terrifying to me. .. I would have never said YES. .. it's probably that I don't want to accept its truth. It's not easy to let go of everything around you, like people you love/d jivas etc.
I have never suffered from anxiety or depression, so I cannot place myself in your place. However, existence and life provide us fun also. Why do you disregard that? It is a mix and one should accept life as it comes to you. In my type of advaita, there is no reincarnation as such, although what constitutes us will be dispersed over many living and non-living things. Of course, nobody asked us before we were constituted. But since we have, let us take it gamely. It is more like that. Our loved ones will be with us till chance and probability allows, and the same is true for us. When we part, they remain in our memories which are sweet. Then we/they should play with the sweet memories till chance and probability allows us/them. Something like 'we had a nice time till we were together'. Of course, Dreadfish has given a better explanation than me. This is dao, ritam, the way of the world.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I've heard Ramanashram has sadly become a place of nostalgia and discussion. I still can't understand why people want to look at Ramana (manifestation of the end result for all of us) rather than looking at how He got to that point. It's kind of like staring at the top of the mountain, wishing you were up there, but having no idea how to actually climb it.

That is unfortunate. It seems people, in general, seem to have some idea that this is unattainable. "The Holy Man did it, how great of him, but it's not for us." Even with the idea that everyone can and will wake up, people still seem to approach it with this idea.

DanielR

Well, as he says in that book, the disease was acting upon that bundle of the physical body and "I" consciousness, so he didn't suffer at all because he wasn't identified with the body or the "I" consciousess. Along the same lines, it's not you that's reborn unless you are identifying with time-bound, impermanent elements.

But I think you need to go a bit deeper with it. If you think you are the one who's been pulled into existence, then you must be sure who you are. So, back to the basics, I think Ramana and Nisargadatta might recommend that you find out who it is that you believe is being subject to birth, death and rebirth.

I think it's important not to get too caught up in ideas and views because, apparently, they're basically dreams anyway. So, going with the basic atma vichara, and shikantaza, just see how thing actually exist and function right now. Don't take other people's word that this happens and this happens. It's all hearsay until you really experience it yourself.

Well, like I said, I don't think non-duality is exclusive from duality. Don't get too caught up in worldviews.

I've also been afraid of it. Being attached to my loved ones is the biggest thing keeping me from not being attached to the world. My loved ones are the only reason im attached to the world. But, no one goes anywhere if we are to believe Ramana and Nisargadatta. The differences and seperation are superficial. I don't think there's actually anything to lose, even though it really seems like there is.

that was very helpful, thanks to aup and the others as well :D.

Well, I'm gonna stick to practicing meditation, let's see what happens. All I can say that I'm really yearning liberation :(. I never wanted something so badly, which is not good since it's also grasping.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Understanding is liberation. Well, that is not the only way. Love also is liberation and so is action. :)

anadi

on the way
Well, I'm gonna stick to practicing meditation, let's see what happens. All I can say that I'm really yearning liberation :(. I never wanted something so badly, which is not good since it's also grasping.

It is also grasping, but I don't think you should worry about that right now. Without the desire for liberation, what motivation would you have to purify your mind and prepare it for intense meditation?
The desire for liberation will die by itself in the end, that's the last step.

It is helpful to become a servant. Serve all beings with your whole heart and then you won't have to worry about liberation because you will be doing something good for the whole existence.
Service shall set you free. Forget about your own liberation and liberation you will get. Purification of mind through selfless service is a preparitory step for meditation.
When your mind is empty of selfish desires, concentration comes by itself. Thus teaches Swami Sivananda.