• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you love toast?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
1905 Albert Marsh discovered Nichrome the filament wire needed to toast bread
1906 George Schneider applied for a patent for his version of the electric toaster. It is never built.
1909 General Electric introduces their first electric toaster for the home. Invented by Frank Shailor
1913 Hazel and Lloyd Copeman apply for toaster patents
1913 Copeman Electric Stove Company introduced toaster with automatic bread turner
1914 Westinghouse introduces electric toaster for the home. Under license of Copeman patents
1919 Charles Strite invents a automatic pop-up bread toaster and applies for a patent
1921 Waters Genter Co. formed to manufacture Strite's toaster and market it to restaurants.
1921 Two of Strite's patent application are approved
1926 Strite file patent application for his design for a home toaster
1926 Waters Genter Co introduce their first electric toaster for the home under the Toastmaster name
1926 Max McGraw purchased Waters Genter Co. and the Toastmaster brand
1928 first mechanical pre-sliced bread goes on sale to the public in Chillicothe, Missouri
1929 Patent 1,698,146 issued to Strite for the automatic pop-up toaster for home use
1930 Wonder Bread begins selling pre-sliced bread, most bakeries follow suit
1933 toaster sales skyrocketed, thanks to the standardized size of sliced bread

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend enchanted one,

Just adding to your information on the toaster.

Toasting bread began as a method of prolonging the life of bread. It was very common activity in Roman times, 'tostum' is the latin word for scorching or burning. The first electric toaster was invented in 1893 in Great Britain by Crompton and Co (UK) and re-invented in 1909 in the United States. It only toasted one side of the bread at a time and it required a person to stand by and turn it off manually when the toast looked done. Charles Strite invented the modern timer, pop-up toaster in 1919.

Sliced Bread - Otto Frederick Rohwedder
Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented the bread slicer, which he started working on in 1912. At first, Rohwedder came up with the idea of a device that held the slices together with hat pins (not a success). In 1928, he designed a machine that sliced and wrapped the bread to prevent the sliced bread from going stale. Pre-sliced bread was popularized by Wonder Bread in 1930, helping to spread the toaster's popularity further.

Love & rgds

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Awesome! We need more people interested in the history of toast. :yes:

I am gonna make a stretch here but...

Several thousand years ago in ancient Greece the easiest way to get rid of your unwanted political opponent or wife or business partner was to poison them. Just invite them around for dinner and slip something into the drinks. There were no forensic investigation teams and you could always blame it on the gods.
The answer was not to drink anything when you were with your enemies but that would have been incredibly rude.
The solution seemed easy enough. The host took the first drink from a single bottle and if he didn't die, it was safe for everyone else around the table. Hence the phrase "drinking to one's health".
Now we fast forward a few hundred years to Rome where it was still acceptable to get rid of your enemies by poisoning. The Romans had a strange practice of adding a small chunk of burnt bread (toast) to each glass. Some historical guesses say this was to add flavour to the wine or to give each guest a small "treat". The treat theory sounds pretty lame as a piece of soggy bread in the bottom of the glass doesn't sound like much of a treat.
The more likely reason was to remove bad flavours and smells from poor wines. Burnt toast is a crude form of 'activated charcoal' used in modern day filters. It absorbs a lot of bad smells and flavours.
The word toast comes from the Latin "tostus", meaning "roasted" or "parched".
The habit of drinking wines with a chunk of toast at the bottom persisted and spread to England.
By the 16th century drinking a "toast" became the same as saying you're drinking a "glass of wine with a chunk of toast at the bottom". The term "toast" then stretched to the act of drinking itself and then to the entire ceremony and even the person being honoured by the ceremony.
Shakespeare mentions the term "toast" in "Merry Wives of Windsor" first published in 1602 but believed to be written prior to 1597.
"Drinking a toast" became all the rage in the 17th and 18th centuries. When the party ran out of physical attendees to toast, they started toasting absent friends as an excuse to keep drinking.
Toasting competitions and other strange customs raged then died. Young men would stab themselves in the arm and mix their blood with wine when toasting a young lass to prove their devotion and prowess. And the practice of drinking to a lady's beauty from her shoe was born.
Ahhh, the things guys do to impress women. It just hasn't changed.
Predictably, the backlash came and anti-toasting laws were passed.
Clinking the glasses
There's two theories to this.
The first says that noise scared away the evil "spirits" in alcoholic drinks. Hence the clink of the glasses would drive them away.
The second and more likely theory relates back to poisons. While drinking from the same single bottle as the host made sure the wine was safe, the poison could have been in the glass. The first step was for guests to pour some wine into each others glass before drinking. This then became a symbolic touching or glasses to show confidence in the host.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends
Here's a Toast to our friend enchanted one:

Cheers! to all those who wish us well
all the others; go to Hell!

Love & rgds

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
And a toast to all of those that love toast!
1546d1257354986-what-smilies-would-you-like-use-wine.gif

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Toast has not gotten enough attention in the past couple of days. This weekend, I want you to make breakfast for your spouse (or mom) and be sure that toast is a creative part of the meal. Will you use a different type of bread than you normally would? Will you use a different topping? Maybe cut it in fourths instead of halves. Gosh I am so excited thinking about it. Please do let us know what you wound up doing with toast and, if possible, post pics. :D

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
You'll love this. Not only are 3 people in this house singing "Yeah Toast!" but we've actually been eating more toast as well.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
You'll love this. Not only are 3 people in this house singing "Yeah Toast!" but we've actually been eating more toast as well.
I am not sure if you are aware, but the man singing that song is beating on an actual toaster while he sings it. You may not want to tell the kids, unless you need a new toaster and crumbs all over anyway.

I have my own toast song, and frankly I feel rather sorry for anyone who has to rely on someone elses.
snooty.gif

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend enchanted one,

Specially for you,

Easy Peasy Spicy Beansy Toast

Half a can of baked beans
two slices of bread
teaspoon of chili powder
almost a handful of grated cheese
butter

Mix the beans, cheese and chili powder together and microwave, simultaneously toast the bread. When all is ready butter the toast and cut in half in triangle shapes. Pour cheesy spicy bean mixture into the center of the plate and put the toast on the outside. Enjoy!
Love & rgds

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Friend enchanted one,

Specially for you,

Easy Peasy Spicy Beansy Toast
Half a can of baked beans
two slices of bread
teaspoon of chili powder
almost a handful of grated cheese
butter

Mix the beans, cheese and chili powder together and microwave, simultaneously toast the bread. When all is ready butter the toast and cut in half in triangle shapes. Pour cheesy spicy bean mixture into the center of the plate and put the toast on the outside. Enjoy!

Love & rgds
Hmmm...it sounds good but I don't like to consume only half of anything. I may have to double this recipe so that I use all the beans. Besides, four slices of toast fit so well on a dinnerplate if they are part of the main dish.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I ate toast last night..But I put a fried egg on each piece and some sharp white cheddar..YUM..I followed that with an organge...

Love

Dallas