• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you live for your glory or God's glory

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Every successful thing I accomplish is all the work of God, to God be all the glory, my only contribution is the f ups!!

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
One who with a right mind would ever have a man centered faith.
Perhaps the O.P. could better define the question?
Putting "faith" in a mere human is unfair to that human.
Kinda sophomoric also.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
My reality and faith is based on God ie an creator God as in the Christian faith. Many people have a man (science) based faith and reality defined by truth as defined or suggested by science.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I don't see a dichotomy between God and science, God is science and science is God, there is nothing unscientific about God, and much of God's power is the laws of nature or science. Science cannot be more powerful than God, because science was created by God IMHO

Lyndon

Premium Member
Glory? I am a common man. I basically live for my family.

Just out of curiosity, I have always wondered how you can consider yourself an atheist yet believe in Brahman, do you mind me asking, Aupmanyav??

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Like, @Aupmanyav and @Quintessence the god question is largely irrelevant. I'm just one little garden gnome in a very large garden.
That said, I'm all about expanding our vision of self and thereby expanding our vision of the universe and reality itself. I no longer have a use for god concepts.
I do exist in what I might describe as a bliss-filled natural state of grace though. Like god concepts, I don't have much use for ideas of divinity.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just out of curiosity, I have always wondered how you can consider yourself an atheist yet believe in Brahman, do you mind me asking, Aupmanyav??
Certainly not, Lyndon. By 'Brahman' I mean physical energy (heat, light, electricity). This is what we started with at the time of Big Bang. All things in the universe have been derived from energy, mass energy being equivalent. My Brahman is not a God, does not require worship, will not interfere in world's affairs. Simple.

Lyndon

Premium Member
But to me the Brahman you describe is a form of Theos, very much the same as Tao, and the God I worship, funny isn't it, I think the God described in the Old Testament is a false god, or negative force, if he is as described in the Bible, so I guess to many Christians I might be deemed an atheist too.

RRex

Premium Member
Almost everything I've gotten in life was because I worked hard for it, suffered for it. The rest was the result of other people helping me.

"God" has had nothing to do with it. "God" is a sadist who has, if anything, sat on his metaphysical hands while I have struggled.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Why would someone need to "glorify" anything?

W-M definition:
Full Definition of glorify
glorified
glorifying

1. transitive verb
  2. 1 a : to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration b : to elevate to celestial glory

3. 2 : to light up brilliantly

4. 3 a : to represent as glorious : extol <a song glorifying romantic love> b : to cause to be or seem to be better than the actual condition <the new position is just a glorified version of the old stockroom job>

5. 4 : to give glory to (as in worship)
-Honoring/praising/admiring someone/something may make some sense, especially if they've done something worthwhile...but to a "celestial" level??? That seems excessive...I suppose some people want to, and some people want to receive that...
-Shining a bright light on (especially from behind) is a powerful effect in art...
-To make something seem better than it actually is seems kinda silly, dishonest...but in the arts it's pretty common...also a sales technique, propaganda, etc....
-To worship...that's like honoring/praising/honoring someone/something to the celestial level...

-So, I don't believe in the kind of deity that I think the OP is suggesting, so no.
-As an animist, I do honor/praise/admire many human and other-than-human persons in the world, because they are worthy honor/praise/admiration. Not everyone/everything, but many.
-While I do seek the respect of my fellow beings, it's not like every little thing I do is to build me up; most of the things I do are just basic living, and I give honor/praise/admiration and other support to others; so no, I do seek to "glorify" myself in the sense I take the OP to mean.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you have a God centered faith or a man centered faith?

I will be blunt. I wont go around the bush. I believe in a man-faith religion: "glory to self."

I believe in the Spirits. I believe in the Earth. The Spirits and the Earth are not sacred in and of themselves. We-men-interpret them as sacred in whatever or however we define them within our religion. If gods are a part of one's religion, it is a man-based faith. If the Earth is a part of one's religion, it is also a man-based faith. It is a faith centered from the interpretation of man (ourselves) and how we view things, earth, spirits, gods, and/or people as sacred.

It starts with us. "Man-centered" faith is not isolated from ourselves. We are men. So either our faith comes from ourselves or it comes from another. I feel my faith comes from myself; so, that is why it is man-centered. Some believe in a god-centered faith (a faith coming from another thing or person) while others believe opposite. It also depends on how you define the word or phrases as well.

To me, god-centered faith is looking outside for internal/external answers. (i.e. "I need to reach out to god [or object of worship] to find answers within and without)

To me, man-centered faith is looking inside for internal/external answers. (i.e. I as a man reach in or look inward for answers within and without)

I would have said I believed in a god-centered (outside in) faith, but after reflection, I know I don't see the earth, spirits, god(s), Dharma (physical), and The Buddha as outside sources to retrieve internal answers.

That's why I have a man-centered (internal centered) faith. The Dharma, the Spirits, the connection with the earth, and The Buddha (our mind) is within. Man-centered faith isn't a bad phrase. The meaning has been Christianized just as every other word.

If we look at the meaning of the word, then we'd probably have a deeper answer rather than answering based on what the word is associated with.

That's me.

Had to edited this.

Oh, that's right,
edit, since I believe in a man-centered faith, I live for "my glory" not god's. @whirlingmerc The OP question has somewhat of a negative undertone. There isn't anything wrong for living for the glory of oneself. I see it as a way of bettering who we are as people when we can first look within for answers, if one likes, in order to live without. If we are always reflecting ourselves from outside sources, we become dependent on them. If they suddenly disappear, what will that person do?

Regardless, it's
beneficial either way.

Last edited:

Jumi

But to me the Brahman you describe is a form of Theos, very much the same as Tao, and the God I worship, funny isn't it, I think the God described in the Old Testament is a false god, or negative force, if he is as described in the Bible, so I guess to many Christians I might be deemed an atheist too.
That's interesting Lyndon, I think I understand some of your views better now. Maybe what we disagreed upon earlier in some debate was in fact about words and not substance. :thumbsup:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I tend to do things for my own glory, or for the glory of the group if I am working in a group. Religion is just not something I am concerned about, though I do hold a reverence for the Earth.